Which Australian university has the higest international prestige out of these???? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
1) Australian National University

2) University of Sydney

3) University of New South Wales

4) Melbourne university

5) Macquarie university

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: Which Australian university has the higest international prestige out of these???

1. University of Melbourne
2. Australian National University
3. University of Sydney
Thought that was just the rankings and it was not a true representation of the public eyes.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Which Australian university has the higest international prestige out of these???

Internationally its ANU then USYD

sghguos

HSC
N/A

If you're talking international prestige, obviously, rankings will play a big role.
does international prestige means the eyes of the public of people from other countries?

.and I thought USYD had the first international prestige cuz its "SYDNEY" which is the most famous place in Australia. "SYDNEY UNI". and I thought noone knew even ANU existed internationally

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Honestly, the idea of "international prestige" is a bit of a joke unless you are talking about Ivy League or Oxbridge.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

The top four you listed are the most well regarded Australian unis imho. Atm in one of the most popular tertiary ranking schemes, UMELB is highest, closely followed by ANU and then USYD. ANU held number 1 for a very, very long time though.

Though every uni has its premier faculties etc., so you should really take into account what is best for what you are studying. And quite a few factors should weigh in to tertiary choice before prestige. In Australia, many of our universities are fairly well regarded so we are lucky in this extent. But even the less prestigious unis, (CSU, Macq, UTS, JCU, UWS etc.) may be the perfect fit and course for you, so I am always upset people are so dismissive of them.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The idea of prestige is stupid.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

does international prestige means the eyes of the public of people from other countries?

.and I thought USYD had the first international prestige cuz its "SYDNEY" which is the most famous place in Australia. "SYDNEY UNI". and I thought noone knew even ANU existed internationally
'international prestige' quantified through metrics like age of uni, number of research papers etc... not public sentiment

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Honestly, the idea of "international prestige" is a bit of a joke unless you are talking about Ivy League or Oxbridge.
Not if you're from/planning to work in asia.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

JCU fuarkkkk

Ranked First in the world for Environmental and Marine sciences (maybe because we're on the fucking great barrier reef)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

JCU fuarkkkk

Ranked First in the world for Environmental and Marine sciences (maybe because we're on the fucking great barrier reef)
Bahaha, i've heard that before. A guy in my grade went there because of that, but tbh he probably wouldn't have actually got in to any of the local unis =P

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

Not if you're from/planning to work in asia.
I agree.
For international students coming here PURELY to study and then return to their home country where prestige matters and highly competitive universities are unattainable, then attending a university like USYD, ANU, UMELB can be an important factor. I can completely understand them choosing that over say, UWS because back home, nobody has heard of UWS and it just isnt up their in ranks.

Looking as an Australian though, say wanting to work in Australia, prestige isn't really a factor. Studied med at UWS? Still makes you a doctor. Studied commerce at UTS? still gets you a good job.

Personally, I think the prestige of where you work in your initial years as a graduate will influence your job opportunities much more than where you studied. Big 6 Law/ Big 4 Accounting etc would be far more impressive on a resume than B com @ this that and the other university in Australia.

arimerialc

HSC

Sorry to hijack this question, but on the topic of prestige/reputation, which Uni is considered to have the best Communications course (more specifically in PR/Advertising). I have the ATAR for UTS and CSU but recently I've been intrigued by Melbourne...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Sorry to hijack this question, but on the topic of prestige/reputation, which Uni is considered to have the best Communications course (more specifically in PR/Advertising). I have the ATAR for UTS and CSU but recently I've been intrigued by Melbourne...
The UTS course for communications is highly regarded.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A

Let me warn you now though, UTS course for communications goes EXTREMELY quick. First years are already out and about at tv stations by the end of first sem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)