First semester and already over uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just found it hard to keep up to date( doing B Arts and 3 units and want to add commerce degree wheneverI can... sad that its already like that for me lol), procrastinating didnt help- what I'm doing now when I have a research essay dued yesterday still not done and exams to study for next week :/ Ever since HSC I have not been motivated and been contemplating about deferring for the rest of the year.

Any tips to actually get into the habit of study and motivation?

hunn

HSC
In your case, it also sounds as if the subject you study is not really your passion...of course, a sensible choice is important, and one should not take the most exotic of all subjects because it might make a career difficult, what motivates me is the knowledge of WHY I am studying the particular subject - my goals, my intentions, my ideas. That made me learn hard.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
In your case, it also sounds as if the subject you study is not really your passion...of course, a sensible choice is important, and one should not take the most exotic of all subjects because it might make a career difficult, what motivates me is the knowledge of WHY I am studying the particular subject - my goals, my intentions, my ideas. That made me learn hard.
This.

Are you doing a degree you actually want to do? If you're finding it hard to motivate yourself with a degree you actually want to do, then that's a whole different story.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
For motivation, you need competition. Hang around people who aspire to do well and you'll do well yourself. That is if you study of course.

RishBonjour

HSC
For motivation, you need competition. Hang around people who aspire to do well and you'll do well yourself. That is if you study of course.
extrinsic motivation. It also means if they ceeeeebs, you will be too

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Cannot agree with this more. But sometimes it also does mean having to avoid/not spending as much time with your current friend group if they are really ceebs to do anything and demotivational.

Have you thought about what you want to do in the future? If you aim high it might give you the motivation you need to apply yourself.

I also find that if you adopt a "if you're going to do something, at least do it properly" attitude it helps with applying yourself diligently with uni. A lot of uni comes down to self-control and self-motivation, so if by principle you believe in doing things properly it might help.

Edit: Setting yourself short-term goals can also help. I did that this semester and the results were a lot better than expected.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
OP, where do you want to work after you graduate?

enoilgam

HSC
Still pretty useful though. I wish I had that going through university.
To be honest, the competitiveness does nothing for me. I prefer to focus more on myself and the exam/assessments than competition and stuff (I disliked that whole aspect of HS). But I guess everyone is different.

izzy88

HSC
Just found it hard to keep up to date( doing B Arts and 3 units and want to add commerce degree wheneverI can... sad that its already like that for me lol), procrastinating didnt help- what I'm doing now when I have a research essay dued yesterday still not done and exams to study for next week :/ Ever since HSC I have not been motivated and been contemplating about deferring for the rest of the year.

Any tips to actually get into the habit of study and motivation?
Doing something you enjoy, making friends in those subjects who can talk to about work etc usually assists me.

However if you think you may need to re-evaluate what you are studying, or perhaps are a bit burnt out after high school and need a break, then deferring for a semester could be a good idea - if you have a plan for what you want to do in that semester. I had a few friends who deferred second semester 1st year as they realised they needed a break/wanted to sort out what they wanted to do. If you do defer, just make sure you have a plan - whether its work, travel, combination of both. Don't end up just sitting around for 6 months watching TV and stuff.

The risk with taking a break is that you don't come back to study at all - the key is to find something you are interested in, and want to learn about - or be able to see the point of what you are doing (eg. your goal after uni if you have one).

Premium Member
HSC
It's no lie keeping up to date with work isn't easy.

One of my mature aged student friends has told me just to treat it like a full time job. Go in from 9-5 every day. Studying on campus definitely keeps my attention focused on coursework rather than dicking around at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)