"Custom" Double Degrees (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ok, this may sound really stupid.... I wanna do my own "custom" double degree. I currently study journo @ UTS and the only things you can double it with are law and international studies. However I want to do it as a double with science or business. I can't understand why it would be impossible if I can meet the requirements of both degrees, but I was just wondering what you guys thought.... am I crazy, or do you think I would be able to do this if I was determined enough to work through all the administration stuff? Do you know of anybody who has done this kind of thing?

Generator

HSC
N/A
From what I know of USyd, any combination is possible if the relevant Deans believe that the student is capable of completing the combination. I can only assume that it would be the same at UTS (and Jase is the one who would know, anyway).

Taking it from another angle, I cannot see why a science or business degree would be any different in terms of the required workload from law or international studies. (However, I do not know how UTS structures its double/combined degrees, so once again where is Jase...). You should be able to handle it easily, if the administration issues are worked through.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
It's possible, but you just have to do lots of running around. Contact the uni first, then when they send you to UAC use the email they sent to get UAC to talk to you... or so I've been told. I'm in the middle of this atm, wanting to add Arts to Architecture.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
well if a course B Communicatoins / B Business doesnt exist in the UAC guide then how can you choose to do it ???

but then again u should wait for Jasee's reply

he knows all

peace^^

Collin

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to 'add' another degree onto your existing one after year 1?

HSC
N/A
from what I know journalism/laws or/international studies would a 'combined' degree
whereas a double degree is doing ANY two degrees you want at the same time....

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Is it possible to 'add' another degree onto your existing one after year 1?
YES...but you will have to meet the requirements of both degrees. ie. get the marks, and the Deans approve of it.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by boredofschool
from what I know journalism/laws or/international studies would a 'combined' degree
whereas a double degree is doing ANY two degrees you want at the same time....
Really?...from what i've been told, both words are interchangeable?

HSC
N/A
yes...
from what I know a combined degree is usually one that includes law or int studies cause at most unis you can't do law just by itself...and they cut out some units so you can finish sooner
whereas a double degree is doing two separate degrees at the same time....so in the end you'll have 2 separate degrees...one in whatever & another in whatever....instead of a combined degree in whatever/whatever

santaslayer

HSC
but in the end, my 'combined degree' is acknowledged with 2 seperate testumers just like a 'double degree!'

hmmmmm... maybe im wrong, someone clear dis up :p

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Josie
It's possible, but you just have to do lots of running around. Contact the uni first, then when they send you to UAC use the email they sent to get UAC to talk to you... or so I've been told. I'm in the middle of this atm, wanting to add Arts to Architecture.
y on earth would u want to extend a 5 year degree which in itself involves a LOT of work?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well the way that UTS' new enrolment system works, doing a custom degree would not work, since its not registered as a course. There is probably a way around this in the system. As others stated, go ask at the Student Centre of both faculties and see what they say. I can't really help anymore than that. I'm afraid your answer from both faculties might be no, though. You might have to do a bit of running around and get in touch with higher powers. Good luck!

And yes a combined degree (at UTS at least) you will get 2 degrees, just like having done both degrees as a single degree. The point of doing them as a combined rather that a double degree is that they usually combine elective subjects together and as Dingo mentioned, cut out a 2nd major, so you complete the course in less time, but still meet the requirements of both courses because you have substituted electives across both degrees, if you get what I mean. Doing the same thing as a double degree means you gotta do both degrees, electives and all. So its like doing 2 separate degrees.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Basically, if you are doing a combined degree, then you are allowed to count a certain number of credit points towards satisfying the requirements of both degrees. In a double degree you can't.

So, suppose a degree required 100 credit points (I know they don't, but it's a nice round number). In a combined degree, you do a total of 180 credit points (say), but 20 of them can be counted towards both degrees, allowing you to have the 100 for each, and so you get both degrees. In a double degree, you'd need 200 with no double counting.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ok thanks for the info, I'm still going to look in to it because I want to do a few other things like study over the summer semester etc and I'm also looking at being an exchange student for a semester somewhere along the track..... I'll speak to the faculties and see what they say.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I had no idea there was even a difference between 'double degree' and 'combined degree'..

so hence I will rephrase my question:

Is it possible to add another degree to your degree after year 1, such that you will be attaining a combined degree, (not double degree)?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
What degree do you want to combine with science, and is it a regularly offered combination at USyd?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Transfer to BSc(Nutrition) and add BSc (Advanced Mathematics)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
No. That would be two different BSc's. You can only do any degree once.

santaslayer

HSC
So, ultametly, is BComm/LLB a combined degree or a double degree.......because in the UAC book it says its a 'double degree', but when the UAI cutoffs were published, it said 'combined law'?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)