Help me choose my major! (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I know when choosing majors, it is up to the individual to decide. But I have no idea what I like about business and have to choose one major from the list below:

- Accounting
- Management
- Finance
- Marketing
- International Business
- Human Resource Management
- Economics
- Financial Services
- Marketing Communication

What major would you recommend that I choose and why?
Consider job prospects and opportunities, wages and hardness of the major whilst articulating your response.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Are there any particular industries you're interested in working in?

Some majors are more relevant to others in terms of demand.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Nope, I'm happy to work in any particular industry. However, since I'm also doing IT... that becomes a consideration I guess!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I was considering management, but was told that job prospects for management don't look promising in the future. The job itself is high paid and enjoyable if you like making important business decisions.
Accounting - Although I did well in the subject, I find accounting really boring and something that I wouldn't like to do in the future. However, job prospects are great and pay is reasonable.
Finance - Not really interested in working at a bank.
International Business and Marketing Communications - waste of time and effort!
Human Resource Management - Well paid jobs, however prospects are not looking good for the future.
Economics - I have no idea how this is like!
Marketing - Was considering this, although you start with low salaries as a graduate. Career opportunities and growth are favourable. 'You only get paid decent in marketing if you're at management level'.

So what should I do?
(Marketing, Management, Economics or Human Recourse) <- To narrow things down.

Last edited:
HSC
Do marketing if you were considering it in the first place, because you can still get payed alot if you have an interest in it and you work hard. Maybe if you're really good, you could go to another country like America where marketing is big there.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Do marketing if you were considering it in the first place, because you can still get payed alot if you have an interest in it and you work hard. Maybe if you're really good, you could go to another country like America where marketing is big there.
True, but not really sure!
I'm considering either management or marketing.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Management vs Marketing!
Which is better?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't you do a double major, or is that only with a single degree?
I do a double degree of IT and Business. For this reason, I can only do one IT and one Business major :/
If I did straight Business, then I could do two majors!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I do a double degree of IT and Business. For this reason, I can only do one IT and one Business major :/
If I did straight Business, then I could do two majors!
dam that sucks, maybe try do a major that complements your IT major? For example, if you wanted to do something specifically within IT, i think a management major would be good for an IT manager etc. I only really know information about accounting and finance because that's what i plan to do, but try searching on here and whirlpool and you will find a lot of information on each major.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
For IT, I've decided to do the 'Business Information Systems Management' major.
I thought the 'Management' major for Business would complement this!

Last edited:

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
management majors, from what ive heard are useless. Id do accounting or finance. For example, IT works well with finance if you learn coding, then work at a prop shop earning monster $$$. Management is more about working your way up the ranks not getting a degree majoring in it then becoming a manager. You gotta learn the business and how it operates and its people before you can manage.
Ever thought of management consulting? get great marks (85+) in ANY degree and they will take you.

One thing to note is that just because you major in something doesn't mean are just restricted to just that. Do what you like, get good marks and you can do anything (except for the obvious exceptions like medicine and law etc)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
management majors, from what ive heard are useless. Id do accounting or finance. For example, IT works well with finance if you learn coding, then work at a prop shop earning monster $$$. Management is more about working your way up the ranks not getting a degree majoring in it then becoming a manager. You gotta learn the business and how it operates and its people before you can manage.
Ever thought of management consulting? get great marks (85+) in ANY degree and they will take you.

One thing to note is that just because you major in something doesn't mean are just restricted to just that. Do what you like, get good marks and you can do anything (except for the obvious exceptions like medicine and law etc)
Don't you have to do some sort of intense math/engineering degree etc to do that?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

I agree! Management won't take you far and most of the time, they require experience anyway. I think finance or accounting would most complement my IT major. However, I'm not really a maths person and will probably hate finance! But accounting is good thus far, its just so boring.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Any insights into Human Resource or Economics?

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Human Resources is very wordy and requires alot of reading. From what I have heard, Economics can get as hard as 4 unit maths whilst others have claimed its difficulty does not surpass 3 unit level. It all depends on the units you choose I suppose.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Human Resources is very wordy and requires alot of reading. From what I have heard, Economics can get as hard as 4 unit maths whilst others have claimed its difficulty does not surpass 3 unit level. It all depends on the units you choose I suppose.
Which majors would require a high level of ability of maths?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Don't you have to do some sort of intense math/engineering degree etc to do that?
Nope, you just gotta pass the maths test which is extremely hard. its got a lot to do with fast mental skills (EG: square root of 22) and problem solving (how many times do the hands of a clock pass over each in the space of 24 hours). You have to get a mark that they are satisfied with then you move on from there. If you pass that stage you have beaten a huge majority of candidates. Some prop shops wont even let you apply again after you have tried. Also the way they trade, they generally only hold positions for a few seconds and are constantly checking their depth of market readers hence the need for fast mental skills

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)