jobs after uni (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
are there any tragic stories of people who graduate but never find a job I their specialized field?

Ive heard stories in the past from friends and teachers saying that they knew someone who after graduating never found a job and so now there are hobo/depressed/job in a total different field e.g. retail assistance/ dole

any tips and pointers on how to get one after uni....like getting good marks and will the students who attend prestigious have a higher chance of being recruited?

Kittikhun

HSC
Have you ever heard of the saying 'it's who you know, not what you know?' If not, building connections with other people will make the road easier for you to find a job. Yes, it's possible to still get a job with awesome marks and an awesome résumé, but knowing some people and having good relations with them will help you some more than without in the civilian/ business world. Having experience working also helps than no experience, so try searching for a part-time job now if you don't have one since as you get older, the business folks have to pay you more--young people are cheap. I've heard that the average number of career changes people have in their lives is five as well. That's just my two cents though.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
are there any tragic stories of people who graduate but never find a job I their specialized field?

Ive heard stories in the past from friends and teachers saying that they knew someone who after graduating never found a job and so now there are hobo/depressed/job in a total different field e.g. retail assistance/ dole

any tips and pointers on how to get one after uni....like getting good marks and will the students who attend prestigious have a higher chance of being recruited?
It is sadly not as uncommon as you think.

It's not all about marks. You need to be all rounded and excel in each of the following:
- Academic results (Credit average at very least, ideally distinction average or above)
- Extra-curricular activities (e.g. positions in uni clubs and societies, sports, volunteering etc)
- Work experience (e.g. part time work during uni or holidays)
If you are strong in those three areas then you have a good chance of getting a job after uni.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Heaps of people. One of my role models in the past was smart as hell! He had a 98 atar and ended up doing some business degree at usyd but graduating he didnt know where to get a job because he didnt have any connections. He had aimed to work in a firm but instead is working in real estate. Its not always but the grades but having friends that can recommended you, knowing what jobs are in demand and what are you plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)