Help!!! LAW UWA or Murdoch or ND ! Pros/cons (1 Viewer)

edubby

HSC
I just finished my first semester of a double-major in Law and Society and French at UWA. I am 100% certain on doing law. I am re-assessing my situation and am thinking about moving. Below are the pro's and con's (based on what I've been told - correct me if im wrong) of my situation of the possible universities I could transfer to. Which university do you think is best for me? Advice?

UWA (current uni):

Pros:
- High reputation, one of the top uni's in the world, top uni in WA, I can do French and am very good at french (bi-lingual always attracts law firms and is a good distinguisher from other competitors), very nice campus/facilities, Juris Doctor (postgrad law degree) is seen to be the top law school in W.A, law firms will always seem to accept UWA students over other uni's?
Cons:
- Won't be able to study law for another 2.5 years until I complete and do well in my undergrad degree (big disadvantage), I stuffed up this semester's units and probably failed some (due to no motivation) which will deeply affect my GPA, may have to repeat units, more competitive/difficult

MURDOCH:

Pros:
- I'm guaranteed to be accepted, will get a fresh start (mark wise - I think), great law facilities and features, internationally recognised, 4 year law degree which I can get straight into, could get better marks (possibly) then UWA because of 'lower standards' (see below), 1.5 years shorter then UWA (if I don't do a double major - do I really need to?)
Cons:
- Unknown on it's reputation (how do law firms see the law school, do they employ the graduates?), no French course, easier to get into which means lower standards?, 40 minutes from my home,

NOTRE DAME (FREMANTLE):

PROS:
- Apparently there is a good law course there, smaller courses, great teaching, closer to home, good law school reputation, very ethical

Cons:
- Harder to get into then Murdoch, I don't really like the campus, no French course, compulsory 20 hours of community service, compulsory Catholic related units, not to keen on the Catholic focus (even though im catholic :p)

P.S - Is a double major really worth the time and effort?
P.S.2 - After I finished my Bachelor of Laws - could I do a masters/honors year at UWA?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I just finished my first semester of a double-major in Law and Society and French at UWA. I am 100% certain on doing law. I am re-assessing my situation and am thinking about moving. Below are the pro's and con's (based on what I've been told - correct me if im wrong) of my situation of the possible universities I could transfer to. Which university do you think is best for me? Advice?

UWA (current uni):

Pros:
- High reputation, one of the top uni's in the world, top uni in WA, I can do French and am very good at french (bi-lingual always attracts law firms and is a good distinguisher from other competitors), very nice campus/facilities, Juris Doctor (postgrad law degree) is seen to be the top law school in W.A, law firms will always seem to accept UWA students over other uni's?
Cons:
- Won't be able to study law for another 2.5 years until I complete and do well in my undergrad degree (big disadvantage), I stuffed up this semester's units and probably failed some (due to no motivation) which will deeply affect my GPA, may have to repeat units, more competitive/difficult

MURDOCH:

Pros:
- I'm guaranteed to be accepted, will get a fresh start (mark wise - I think), great law facilities and features, internationally recognised, 4 year law degree which I can get straight into, could get better marks (possibly) then UWA because of 'lower standards' (see below), 1.5 years shorter then UWA (if I don't do a double major - do I really need to?)
Cons:
- Unknown on it's reputation (how do law firms see the law school, do they employ the graduates?), no French course, easier to get into which means lower standards?, 40 minutes from my home,

NOTRE DAME:

PROS:
- Apparently there is a good law course there, smaller courses, great teaching, closer to home, good law school reputation, very ethical

Cons:
- Harder to get into then Murdoch, I don't really like the campus, no French course, compulsory 20 hours of community service, compulsory Catholic related units, not to keen on the Catholic focus (even though im catholic :p)

P.S - Is a double major really worth the time and effort?
P.S.2 - After I finished my Bachelor of Laws - could I do a masters/honors year at UWA?

Thanks everyone!
Off topic, but is macquarie university better than these unis hes mentioned (notre dame, UWA, murdoch)

if not which ones are better.

edubby

HSC
Mac may be better. But this is for Universities within W.A (only these 3)

enoilgam

HSC
NOTRE DAME:

PROS:

Cons:
I go to ND and we dont have to do community service. The compulsory religious based units are on Theology, but you only have to go to about 5 or 6 weeks worth of seminars.

Also, one of the biggest misconceptions with ND is the "Catholic focus". The extent of religion at Notre Dame is the Theology units, a couple of emails a month about optional religious activities and an optional mass before graduation. The actual teaching of the subjects doesnt have a Catholic focus at all - none of the units I have done (outside of theology) have been influenced by religious dogma in any shape or form. It is entirely a non-issue when it comes to teaching.

Off topic, but is macquarie university better than these unis hes mentioned (notre dame, UWA, murdoch)

if not which ones are better.
Uni choice can be very subjective - go see the Unis and decide which you believe is best for you. I picked ND over MQ directly and all other unis indirectly because I felt that it was the best fit for me.

edubby

HSC
I think community service is just for law. I may be incorrect but that's what one of the law lecturer's said in my interview.

enoilgam

HSC
I think community service is just for law. I may be incorrect but that's what one of the law lecturer's said in my interview.
Not at Notre Dame in Sydney (I think you might be talking about Fremantle).

sghguos

HSC
N/A
lol isnt UWA g8????

so macq is better than a g8 uni? lol?

edubby

HSC
Bump, does anyone have any actual responses to my original post?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)