Out of UMACQ law and UTS law which is more reputable/prestigious?????? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Now I know that USYD/UNSW are basically the top unis in sydney in terms of law and pretty much all other areas.

However I was wondering between UTS law and UMACQ law which uni is more prestigious/reputable???

Please dont give answers like prestigious doesnt matter etc... or they are both bad etc..

I am comparing them as it is the only deciding factor for me.

Nyx

HSC
maquarie is more prestigious compared to UTS in law, it has been found that maq is gaining higher recognition for its law grads. so yh, choose MAQ

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
maquarie is more prestigious compared to UTS in law, it has been found that maq is gaining higher recognition for its law grads. so yh, choose MAQ
cool. Anyone disagree or agree?

Nyx

HSC
lol, 1st - sydney, 2nd - UNSW 3rd MAQ.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe Macquarie has a better reputation with regards to law than UTS does.

That being said, its rather like comparing Red Delicious Apples (Macq) with Lady Smith Apples (UTS). In terms of employment, they may not look down upon UTS like it's the end of the world when comparing these two universities.

That being said, in the world of top level law, to compare the Valencia (USYD) and Navel (UNSW) oranges to apples is rather ambitious :p

Good luck deciding :D

Combo

beast
HSC
Now I know that USYD/UNSW are basically the top unis in sydney in terms of law and pretty much all other areas.

However I was wondering between UTS law and UMACQ law which uni is more prestigious/reputable???

Please dont give answers like prestigious doesnt matter etc... or they are both bad etc..

I am comparing them as it is the only deciding factor for me.
this guys is sghguos sounds exactly like him
btw prestige does not matter

moocow920

HSC
btw prestige does not matter
To be honest I disagree, I believe law is a field in which prestige does matter, especially in certain firms and areas. I am not interested in law myself but my dad is a partner and the Asia Pacific head of his area of law in his company, and as such has a role in recruitment. He definitely thinks prestige matters in the large firms, the majority of successful applicants he sees are definitely from the more prestigious universities, he has stated he would barely consider an application from a person from somewhere like Southern Cross. That said there are definitely exceptions to the rule, I am not saying that you won't be able to succeed in law unless you are from USYD or UNSW.

I personally do not know the difference in 'prestige' between UTS and Macquarie, if i had to guess I would say there is probably not a huge difference, and maybe things outside your degree such as internships, experience, and other things you achieve during your time studying could make the difference in your future job prospects, rather than the institution, when the institutions are fairly closely matched in terms of prestige.

aekryan

HSC
Law is one of the only fields where prestige does matter.
inner city firms tend to only hire from certain unis, and they tend to be one of the big 3 (in sydney) USyd, UNSW, UMAQ (to a lesser extent maq)
I wouldnt take the risk with either, do postgrad law.
the JD is internationally recognized and is more practical and preferred by employers than a LLB. this will also give you a chance to study for the LSAT if you want and try to get in UMelb which is the best in aus or even to apply overseas (where there are law schools and the LSAT is compulsory along with a GPA and other things like essays and stuff)

So try and get into Usyd or UNSW. But UMAQ is still quite good aswell.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Law is one of the only fields where prestige does matter.
inner city firms tend to only hire from certain unis, and they tend to be one of the big 3 (in sydney) USyd, UNSW, UMAQ (to a lesser extent maq)
I wouldnt take the risk with either, do postgrad law.
the JD is internationally recognized and is more practical and preferred by employers than a LLB. this will also give you a chance to study for the LSAT if you want and try to get in UMelb which is the best in aus or even to apply overseas (where there are law schools and the LSAT is compulsory along with a GPA and other things like essays and stuff)

So try and get into Usyd or UNSW. But UMAQ is still quite good aswell.
What do you mean by " I wouldnt take the risk with either"???

M

mAsTAR

What do you mean by " I wouldnt take the risk with either"???
He means that he would recommend waiting until postgrad to study law (and studying it at UNSW or Usyd), so you won't be adversely affected in the employment market by not having attended the two most prestigious law schools.

You seem to struggle immeasurably with basic comprehension, so I don't think you'll be able to make it through a law degree.

I don't mean that as an insult, I just don't think you'll be able to manage.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I'm starting to feel as though I am the most naive person in the world to believe that a strong applicant is a strong applicant regardless of the university they attended. As a UTS Law student I'm now strongly considering tranferring unis even though I'm enjoying my time at UTS and do not believe I could have such a good time at UNSW where most of my high school cohort (and thus friends) are. I know of numerous friends and older siblings of friends who are UTS Law graduates in Lawyer professions, perhaps not in senior partner positions because they are all in their early-mid 20s, but I'm starting to gather that they clearly have to have a genius tier intellect because UTS law doesn't stand next to any other university. This is despite talking over with my mother (a CFO) and my friends' parents in managerial positions who all 'claim' (I use this loosely because I'm not there in their hiring process but I have seen my mother move basically all Macq applicants to another pile when reading resumes much to my vocal disapproval) to more or less disregard applicants from Macq altogether because "it's a waste of time". Obviously I don't agree with that practise, it's entirely unethical imo, but it's an unfortunate reality which I had already come to terms with and now it seems I'm even more heavily on the receiving end. Am I really that limited by going to UTS if I want to be a lawyer?

And sorry OP for not having something to contribute. I picked UTS Law because I felt that UTS is the right uni for me, and because going to the multiple uni open days I was more impressed by what UTS Law had to offer than Macq Law. But it seems I'm wrong anyway.

aekryan

HSC
Crobat.
It's an incredible piece or warp logic to account for such a small sample size and assume that this fact is empirical or remotely consistent for a larger demographic.
Prestige is extremely important in the law field. Believe me there are no shortage for lawyers, and for good reason and you may as well get a nice job but, although there is a possibility, it is unlikely that Freehills or Minter Ellision are looking for Notre Damn graduates.
A 96 ATAR and a high credit-D average or a 90+ ATAR with D-high D average will get you into Sydney JD. I think 96 ATAR and D-high D average even will get you part 'scholarship' (dunno if its a scholarshio but you dont pay the full amount)
If you are a risk taker do a really easy subject and ace it, there is no scaling in uni a HD is a HD. If not work really hard in say... commerce so you have something to fall back on. For me the most appealing thing is the chance to take the LSAT and go abroad to a law school in the states. Its a possibility.

Its a risk, but technically if you don't get into Usyd just go back and do the UMAQ JD.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Crobat.
It's an incredible piece or warp logic to account for such a small sample size and assume that this fact is empirical or remotely consistent for a larger demographic.
Prestige is extremely important in the law field. Believe me there are no shortage for lawyers, and for good reason and you may as well get a nice job but, although there is a possibility, it is unlikely that Freehills or Minter Ellision are looking for Notre Damn graduates.
A 96 ATAR and a high credit-D average or a 90+ ATAR with D-high D average will get you into Sydney JD. I think 96 ATAR and D-high D average even will get you part 'scholarship' (dunno if its a scholarshio but you dont pay the full amount)
If you are a risk taker do a really easy subject and ace it, there is no scaling in uni a HD is a HD. If not work really hard in say... commerce so you have something to fall back on. For me the most appealing thing is the chance to take the LSAT and go abroad to a law school in the states. Its a possibility.

Its a risk, but technically if you don't get into Usyd just go back and do the UMAQ JD.
But I heard JD is looked down than LLB because its postgraduate and easier to get in.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Crobat.

I didn't mean for them to represent a microcosm of the larger world. It's just that they were success stories that all vouched for the credibility of the UTS Law program each saying that they had no problem getting where they wanted to be by the end of their degree, and some even being USYD Law transferrals. But anyway, my ATAR was higher than 96 and I believe I can get a High-er D GPA by the end of the year. If I do transfer I am not looking to transfer to USYD, but rather UNSW. I haven't done any research yet because I haven't even considered transferring until as of late, but is it possible I would be able to? And do you know if UNSW has a similar program to the 'scholarship' that USYD has there.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I didn't mean for them to represent a microcosm of the larger world. It's just that they were success stories that all vouched for the credibility of the UTS Law program each saying that they had no problem getting where they wanted to be by the end of their degree, and some even being USYD Law transferrals. But anyway, my ATAR was higher than 96 and I believe I can get a High-er D GPA by the end of the year. If I do transfer I am not looking to transfer to USYD, but rather UNSW. I haven't done any research yet because I haven't even considered transferring until as of late, but is it possible I would be able to? And do you know if UNSW has a similar program to the 'scholarship' that USYD has there.
Hey sorry cut u down but ur chances of transfer are very close to nil.

Minimum and I mean minimum is 97 atar.

Full stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)