Is it possible/okay to double major between 2 different uni's? (1 Viewer)

edubby

HSC
Quick question

For next semester, I am planning to begin a Bachelor of Law (LLB) four year degree at Murdoch University and a French undergraduate major at The University of Western Australia (2.5 years remaining).

I want to continue with French because I am doing well in it and it may be useful when I begin practising law. I want to do law at Murdoch so I can begin law straight away instead of UWA's postgrad level.

Would this create a double major on my resume or two separate degrees? Would any problems come with this? Is it a smart idea? I am prepared for the work load and commitment!

Thank you everyone :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Don't do it.
This. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

It would be two seperate degrees and as you are doing it over two unis there is likely to time tabling problems.

Even if you took less subjects in both courses than you would normally do and/or there are no time tabling clashes it is almost certain that there will eventually be problems with clashing exams. You'd have to check with both unis to be certain but afaik the seperate universities won't recognise external scheduling problems like that.

From what you have said, and from what I have read previously on here, UWA would be the better option for law over Murdoch. So why not just finish off undergrad French and then do post grad law?

Last edited:

edubby

HSC
Thanks for the response Brent.

I would definitely make sure the time-tabling was sorted before making that decision. French is only four contact hours per week. But I see what you're saying.

Indeed UWA Law has a more 'prestigious' reputation then Murdoch, but because I am very passionate and certain about it I'm aching to begin law now instead of waiting another 2.5 years. Also, taking an uneducated guess, I'd think the competition at Murdoch would be slightly easier then UWA.

But your suggestion is still an option... but not my ideal option.

Lul

HSC
Mate, drop out of law school (oversupply of law graduates = no job prosperity). I'd focus on French mate.

Edit: 70th Post! :thrust: cheering

edubby

HSC
Mate, drop out of law school (oversupply of law graduates = no job prosperity). I'd focus on French mate.

Edit: 70th Post! :thrust: cheering
I'll take the risk, I'm interested in it and there's a lot that can be done with a law degree anyway.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I will say, don't underestimate how much work the french will be simply because of its low contact hours and faculty designation. Languages at uni move very, very quickly and require consistent hard work to keep up. I run PASS sessions for classical Greek at MQ and have seen even native speakers struggle because they did not anticipate how much work they needed to be doing outside of their contact hours.

EDIT: Just looking at your post i can't tell if you mean that you're already studying French at uni or not. If you are, disregard, I'm sure you already know.

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
Can you do a double degree with law like in nsw most (all?) law degrees in undergrad are doubled with something else

Do arts/law and transfer your French credits over if you can do that you'll be cheering

Also translators and language teachers get paid a fuck tonne if your good.
I learned russian through usyd on a Saturday program and my teacher wa getting like 160-210 an hour depending on the level of the class. She only had us for 3 hours on Saturday but she had like 6 classes during the week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)