School friends vs. Uni friends (1 Viewer)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
School friends vs. Uni friends?

How do the friends you've made at Uni compare to those you made at school? Do you feel like as at home with uni people as you did with school people?

For me personally, it's been interesting to meet such DIFFERENT people at UTS from those I knew at my sheltered Catholic school in the western suburbs!

But in the end, I think I connect more with people from the western suburbs simply because of an indescribable understanding and sense of humour that I automatically feel with such people.

What are your thoughts on making uni friends? And be honest!

MoNNiE

HSC
i like my uni friends , even though i haven't known them for that long. against old school friends, well they have shaped me as a person now.. i partly miss them and don't miss them..
from the end of last year i started drifting fromthem... and from seeing them again this year i felt that we had all changed into a differnt person.. so i found it a tad diffucult to communicate with them.. i have no idea why!

oh yeah i like my uni friends... since they are such diverse in nature, and interesting to talk to.. not that my old school friends aren't..

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
Over the years, especially in Year 12, it was a relief to have friends to copy off, laugh with and make school life less stressful. We were joined by similar subject but now that my group is past year 12 I realised how different interests we really had. One went off to science, another to arts, and another to financial side of things.

It hasn't been that long in order to know the uni friends, but their just as good in copying off and laughing with. :D I miss old friends but the new friends are making up for that. But the type of friends I have havent changed much Im thinking..

but yeah its different since I went to an all girls school and didnt have much guy friends..and I was a shy person, but now I think uni and having to make new friends helped me be less shy

Seems like a sentimental post:p

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Going back home made me realize how much everyone had changed since getting out of the controlled environment of school. Some of my school friends will be friends for life, but others have already drifted away.

I'm not anywhere near as close yet with my uni friends but I love the diversity of the people. But in the same breath, many of them have grown up very differently to me and that's something that was cool about my Albury friends... we had so many shared experiences over such a long period of time.

E

Exponential Log

Everyone in uni is so nice to me.. but HONESTLY, it is nowhere near as fun as in high school where everyone was nice to you plus they crack jokes/make you feel heaps comfortable 24/7. :(

In uni I think everyone is still a bit hmm... "professional"? in the way they act. It's like they don't have that same kind of humour I'm used to in my schooling environment. Even my closest uni friend, although she makes jokes and stuff, it doesn't feel like she's totally opening up.

Everyone was open and carefree in high school, perhaps it's just my school, or the individual people there, or myself. But I miss it alot. :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i really like the friends i've made at uni, but i feel like i don't know them well enough yet to randomly be like "hey lets go out on friday nite" kinda thing, which i can do with school friends... i dunno, i think the ppl i've met at uni are mostly cooler tho

santaslayer

HSC
i agree with rahul, ..in terms of school friends being better.i guess its just coz u dont get to see much of your friends in uni coz u have so many different classes.

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
my view:

i prefer school friends over my uni. friends coz simply i have been around them longer, i know them for who they are.. while at uni. everyone seems to be "artificial". You can tell when they're not being themselves, this is more obvious when they're around the opposite sex.

Aside from that.. im still not used to the environment yet. I was a boarder at my school, at least 4 years. I've known everyone in my boarding year so well.. now putting me right smack into the middle of a place where i will only spend time with people for a couple of hours doens't seem to appeal to me that easily.

Sure you have to move on... but i'd have to say that school friends will always have to come first. Simply coz of the fact i've known them longer.

Some of you have seen that your friends have changed so differently because of the different environment. So far that hasn't really been the case for me, because every person from my school that i have met again are the same as they ever were. Perhaps even more nicer... but they haven't changed that much at all.

One thing that also comes to mind (hope this doesn't offend, and im being a bit general) is that there is a fine line difference between the people who were taught in private schools and those in public.

I find that the ones who came out of private schools (like me) are more well mannered and have some sort of discipline. Not that saying the ones from the public schools haven't, but im just saying that students from private schools do generally are more disciplined in learning and etc. People whom i have met from public schools have this attitude of "meh, who cares" or "ill do it later".. but i guess these may be a minority. But seriously, alot of them are from public schools carrying this attitude.

Im like "soo lucky to have come from a private school"

Those from public schools may think, hmmm private school fella's are stuck up. that can be true.. but there will always be stereotypes.

my 2 cents ^^

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
i really like the friends i've made at uni, but i feel like i don't know them well enough yet to randomly be like "hey lets go out on friday nite" kinda thing, which i can do with school friends... i dunno, i think the ppl i've met at uni are mostly cooler tho
That's exactly how I feel... the people who I would consider "friends" at uni are more like the people I would have considered to be "acquaintences" at school..... we might sit next to each other in lectures or tutes and talk a bit before and after class, but that is really the extent of our friendship thusfar.

And Panda Bear, I came from a public school and I can't really see the divide you are talking about. There are heaps of polite/nice/mature people I have met from both public and private schools, and heaps of dickheads I have met from both as well lol. I wouldn't say one lot are better than the other. Maybe it depends on your course...

You guys are so lucky though, who still live near your school friends. Already the distance between Albury and Sydney has very much changed some of my relationships with my old friends. But my ties with my very best friends have still remained quite strong...

I think school friends are better, but maybe after we have spent a couple of years with our uni friends we may have just as strong friendships with them. However I think the come to class go home way that uni is makes it harder to make such strong bonds.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
[insert long rambling posts about different types of friendship here, touching on changing tastes and personal journeys]

I like my school friends. I knew many months ago that only the ones who really cared would keep in contact with me, and the rest I let drift. At uni I've met an XBox full of people, so many that I don't even remember most of their names half the time. Many are great to have around, and you can instantly click with one or several people. However, I know they have yet to understand me (just as I have much to learn about them).

I must say, joining as many societies as I did really helped me get to know all these people across different faculties, years, cultures, and interest spectra.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Wow.

I feel so odd and different from you all ... how are we all at the same Uni? :p

I "love" my Uni friends.

But don't get me wrong - my closest friend will always be from high school. But she's one person. Not friends with a S.

I could easily ask any of the people I know to go out on a Friday night ... but personally I don't think it's the people at Uni, its yourself that determines the types of friendships you make.

If you're comfortable with the people you've 'grown up with' and don't see any real reason in making 'new' friends at Uni - you're not going to put in half the effort (No matter what anyone says, every relationship requires effort) than someone who had a horrid time at High School that always felt they didn't like anyone there.

Personally I love the people at Uni because you can flit and go in between anyone and everyone - because there are no distinctions the way they were in school because things like timetables and areas to sit in aren't defined and set in stone they were in a lot of high-schools. I love it!

As for Uni work? It should go die in a hole somewhere :(

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
i am a social outcast in all aspects of life.. uni or high school, primary school or kindy. *sobs*

bah, too bad you can't do that annonymous thing on here like on UTS online.. oh wells. i still haven't figured out how to do that either.

But, nah, sadly i've been drifting away from alot of my school friends and sort of miss that. However, university friends are cool and i always stick around the same bunch of friends, and so have gotten to know them abit. :D besides, met someone special in uni and we are very close .. hmm.. ~

lil_mia

i can't really decide. with uni friends alot of them are faily easy going and i like them alot.. they're fun.. and good to hang out with... but there are also times where like panda bear said.. the people are a little bit artificial.. and its definitely really obvious. with school friends.. you see each other all the time.. so you develop a closer link... and also... with alot of my schools friends all we did was just try to have fun... at uni... there's alot more pressure constantly... but then again.. i think it could also be the types of people... so i can't really decide which i prefer..

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
true high school friends are for life, as you have grown up through puberty/teenage years with them. you can relate with them through a personal level.

uni friends are people who you can relate to more on an interests/..dare i say 'career' level. i don't think they are quite as personal relationships as the ones you have with high school ones

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Panda Bear
One thing that also comes to mind (hope this doesn't offend, and im being a bit general) is that there is a fine line difference between the people who were taught in private schools and those in public.

I find that the ones who came out of private schools (like me) are more well mannered and have some sort of discipline. Not that saying the ones from the public schools haven't, but im just saying that students from private schools do generally are more disciplined in learning and etc. People whom i have met from public schools have this attitude of "meh, who cares" or "ill do it later".. but i guess these may be a minority. But seriously, alot of them are from public schools carrying this attitude.

Im like "soo lucky to have come from a private school"

Those from public schools may think, hmmm private school fella's are stuck up. that can be true.. but there will always be stereotypes.
oh my GOD was i the only person who actually read this? i don't even know where to fucking begin.

Originally posted by Nupil
I could easily ask any of the people I know to go out on a Friday night ...
yeah, i think that's partly a guy thing as well as far as i've noticed... my male friends have found it A LOT easier to slot into new groups at uni etc & are heaps casual about it, whereas chicks seem a lot more uptight about making new friends. a lot of ppl stick to their school friends, when you ask them what they got up to on the wkend they go on about how they did something with their school friends. i think it's sort of lame that ppl can't be like "yeah- i could have school friends AND uni friends" and instead just stick with what is safe. there's a few ppl at uni i'd love to go out with sometime so i might just bug them about it til they cave in heehehe

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
oh my GOD was i the only person who actually read this? i don't even know where to fucking begin.
same here that why I didn't really say anything!!!

MoNNiE

HSC
ehhe..ahhh

private school ppl may be more discipline.. but they tend to be more up themselves compared to people comming from public schools --to be completely honoust!
but how in the world did that come up in here?!

Last edited:

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
i like my uni friends, a few of them i already knew, but most of them only met since uni. Already been out on the town with a couple of them, its weird cos lots of them go to the same places i go to anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)