transfer from arts to law (1 Viewer)

Mrcoolguy1

HSC
Hi guys...

Just wanting to know how difficult it is to transfer from say arts at Usyd or UNSW to law at UTS or Macq or even UNSW?

thanks

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys...

Just wanting to know how difficult it is to transfer from say arts at Usyd or UNSW to law at UTS or Macq or even UNSW?

thanks
Well for one, the de-facto minimum is a distinction average in your first year iirc.

Mrcoolguy1

HSC
Well for one, the de-facto minimum is a distinction average in your first year iirc.
I really want to get into law, but I'm not sure about the ATAR - Do you think it will be a good idea to do a BA at Usyd or UNSW then transfer over to law?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Were you planning to do Arts for the other side of the double degree?

Mrcoolguy1

HSC
Were you planning to do Arts for the other side of the double degree?
Yeah, I was wanting to do a arts/law degree but I don't think I'll get the ATAR for that, so do you think it's a good idea to do an arts first then try and transfer?

RishBonjour

HSC
I really want to get into law, but I'm not sure about the ATAR - Do you think it will be a good idea to do a BA at Usyd or UNSW then transfer over to law?
It depends, if you think you can put in some effort and pull around 80-82 WAM (not sure how hard that is in arts - but pick the WAM boosters if you think you will struggle) then you should choose USYD.

On the safer side, Just go UNSW, they take 100 minimum internal transfers - it isn't through UAC iirc - so just apply for that, and UAC for USYD. and you're set!

good luck!

Mrcoolguy1

HSC
Do you reckon achieving an 82 WAM at usyd is doable.. and would that be enough to then transfer over to UNSW or UTS law?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do you reckon achieving an 82 WAM at usyd is doable.. and would that be enough to then transfer over to UNSW or UTS law?
If you aren't planning on or hoping to transfer to Usyd law, don't do arts at Usyd.

GL1001

HSC
I'm doing arts at usyd and have a WAM of 74.9. It's my second year and I got an atar of 97 in 2011. I'm applying for law at ANU, is this too low of a WAM to be accepted?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I'm doing arts at usyd and have a WAM of 74.9. It's my second year and I got an atar of 97 in 2011. I'm applying for law at ANU, is this too low of a WAM to be accepted?
from above they're saying like a 75 wam is the minimum, not sure though
but just wondering, why didnt you go straight into ANU law? because you made the cut off, I think it was 96 in 2011

GL1001

HSC
from above they're saying like a 75 wam is the minimum, not sure though
but just wondering, why didnt you go straight into ANU law? because you made the cut off, I think it was 96 in 2011
wasnt really that interested back then. So because I've done two years at uni, I've decreased my eligibility to gain entry since completing the HSC?

Mrcoolguy1

HSC
If you aren't planning on or hoping to transfer to Usyd law, don't do arts at Usyd.
Doesn't Usyd also take the atar into consideration when attemtping to transfer into law, hence making it 50/50 with WAM and atar IIRC

Wouldnt be easier to transfer externally from usyd arts to UNSW or UTS law? or would it be better to do UNSW arts then transfer?

sorry for question overload

RishBonjour

HSC
Doesn't Usyd also take the atar into consideration when attemtping to transfer into law, hence making it 50/50 with WAM and atar IIRC

Wouldnt be easier to transfer externally from usyd arts to UNSW or UTS law? or would it be better to do UNSW arts then transfer?

sorry for question overload
Hey mate,

Yes, you're correct its 50/50 WAM/ATAR, but if your WAM is 85, and ATAR is 70, they will ignore your ATAR and take the WAM. They will take the BETTER of both.

In regards to your earlier question about pulling 82 WAM, you definitely can! But it will require some good effort.
I think, if you WANT law - it really shouldn't be a problem. Prior to getting into uni I thought it would be a mission for students to get HDs at USYD, its not. Just stay calm, do the course you like (arts for you) -and you'll get a solid wam and law offer!
Also, are you eligible for some serious EAS? You can get into UTS law with that (I don't think they will even look at your ATAR)

I think that should be enough (since atar was like 96). Good luck! Also, since you are a second year - why not just finish your degree and do JD? Transfering now - waste of two years. (I think ANU is just law - not combined?)

Last edited:

GL1001

HSC
I think that should be enough (since atar was like 96). Good luck! Also, since you are a second year - why not just finish your degree and do JD? Transfering now - waste of two years. (I think ANU is just law - not combined?)
Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

They actually do have two kinds of arts/law double degree

https://studyat.anu.edu.au/2012/programs/4105XBARTS;overview.html

http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/program/BPPEVMJD

I could complete my degree and do a JD, but I really would like to leave Sydney for a while and I'm also interested in joining the Army, so I figured a fresh start away from everyone might be nice.

simplyinsanity

HSC
But if someone were to transfer from Usyd arts --> Arts/law, how many law subjects would they be doing per semester to catch up? Originally, I thought it was 2 per semester but since foundations of law is a pre-requisite for everything....

lawstu

HSC
That's a strange thing to say. What's that?
I could complete my degree and do a JD, but I really would like to leave Sydney for a while and I'm also interested in joining the Army, so I figured a fresh start away from everyone might be nice.
Don't do a grad law degree unless you absolutely have to or there's a very good reason for it. Do an undergrad law degree, then do whatever.
But if someone were to transfer from Usyd arts --> Arts/law, how many law subjects would they be doing per semester to catch up? Originally, I thought it was 2 per semester but since foundations of law is a pre-requisite for everything....
The structure is really strange. I recommend you e-mail USyd Law. They guys there are more than eager to have you attend it.

To game the system, if you're a decent study anywhere and don't care about where you do your partner degree and law studies, you do your studies at UNSW. You apply to UNSW Law directly and you apply to USYD Law via UAC. You can also apply for the other law schools via UAC and you should probably e-mail them.

IIRC, USyd is only 50%/50% if you're a first year student. If you're in any other year, your uni studies become more heavily weighted. E-mail them to be sure of what's doable and what's not and what is the reality of this all.

OP, why do you think you would like to study, and possibly enjoy studying, law? What are some things you'd like to gain from it, and where could possibly and reasonably you see yourself in the five and the ten years after graduating from whatever law school of your choice?

What are qualities that you have that you think would help you succeed in law school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)