How does one pinpoint what it is that they arent enjoying about their course? (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Somethings not right with me and uni this year. Im not sure if its the general subject area of my course (i.e. if ive picked something that doesnt interest me as much as i thought), the university Im at (i.e. if im not happy with how things are taught or the structure of the degree and think its better elsewhere)

This is a vague and horrible thread but any suggestions or help would be appreciated

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Why did you pick your degree?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Well in HSC my favourite subjects were Biology, Maths (3units) and Economics (English (3units) and Modern were enjoyable but liked the others better). Bit of a last minute decision but thought a biomedical engineering course seemed like a good idea. Only discovered the course a few days before the deadline although did a lot of research into the industry and what it involves and was fascinated. Why did i pick usyd? I discovered the degree on the Usyd website, researched the usyd degree more than anywhere else but had some faults in my research and misunderstood a few things. the ultimate decider was the actual usyd biomedical talk at the day before the preference deadline was far superior to the unsw engineering talk where the guy blabbered on about everything but what i wanted to know.
that said my subjects have only had 3 engineering subjects so its possibly too small a sample size to say if its the degree. Ive found the USyd atmosphere different to what i expected (that said i came from a top 10 school so its not the elitism that gets to me.. more something else) and of course the strikes have been really annoying.
So yes im very confused at the moment.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So do you think it's the University or it's the degree which is the problem?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Thats what Im trying to figure it. I know I should change something im just not sure what. And I dont want to end up changing the wrong thing

RishBonjour

HSC
Well in HSC my favourite subjects were Biology, Maths (3units) and Economics (English (3units) and Modern were enjoyable but liked the others better). Bit of a last minute decision but thought a biomedical engineering course seemed like a good idea. Only discovered the course a few days before the deadline although did a lot of research into the industry and what it involves and was fascinated. Why did i pick usyd? I discovered the degree on the Usyd website, researched the usyd degree more than anywhere else but had some faults in my research and misunderstood a few things. the ultimate decider was the actual usyd biomedical talk at the day before the preference deadline was far superior to the unsw engineering talk where the guy blabbered on about everything but what i wanted to know.
that said my subjects have only had 3 engineering subjects so its possibly too small a sample size to say if its the degree. Ive found the USyd atmosphere different to what i expected (that said i came from a top 10 school so its not the elitism that gets to me.. more something else) and of course the strikes have been really annoying.
So yes im very confused at the moment.

Hey mate,

The problem appears to be the social aspect of uni rather than your degree. Its good you realise you're confused (Strikes? - that shouldn't even be a factor to be considered here). I recon, just sit down, and think what the actual problem is - admit it to yourself, and then think of a way to address it.

And give USYD more time - you'll like it soon enough!

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Strikes more so in the atmosphere they create rather than the strikes itself (although though are a bit of a experience ruiner as well).

Ive spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint what the problem is but cant decisively say 'this is whats getting me down' all i know is theres something thats making me unhappy. For a bit i thought it was exclusively the university and thought looked into transferring into the identical course but when i think about it more im not so certain. Hence the making a pointlessly weird thread here in hope of some luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)