Can I do Civil Engineering with 2Unit math or? (1 Viewer)

yus456

HSC
N/A
I want to do Bachelor of Civil Engineering at Newcastle University. However, I have only done 2unit math. I know, I know, but back then when I chose my subjects I didn't know what I wanted to do. I loved 2unit math and I took interest in Civil engineering and I also love science. So, could I do it with 2unit math if I try my best and stay on top of work or would I have to learn 3unit math or something? Thank you.

Premium Member
HSC
Yep.. you do cover some 3 unit and 4 unit concepts in the first year math courses but if you work hard it really won't be too difficult at all.

I got 69 in 2u math and am now doing civil at uon and the math isn't terribly hard. You'll be fine.

But if you are still worried there are bridging courses available to you before the semester starts I believe... and there are a multitude of help classes run week in week out throughout the semesters.

D94

HSC
N/A
I know you are referring to UoN, but for UNSW, having 3 unit knowledge is assumed and definitely beneficial. I would imagine it would the same at UoN. They do teach you sort of from scratch, but at a fast pace since 3 unit is assumed, so it is probably the same at UoN. Maybe have a look through a 3 unit textbook over the summer break or whenever, and try to familiarise yourself with those concepts.

Roscosmos

HSC
Yep definitely. I'm doing mining engineering at UNSW which is exactly the same as 1st year civil.

I did 2U maths and got a band 4 and I'm going fine. Didn't do a bridging course or any prep either. Basically as long as you do the work you should be fine.

Premium Member
HSC
The level of calculus covered is essentially 2 unit..at least in the first semester course anyway. Assuming the courses won't change next year, you're gonna be doing vectors, complex numbers, calculus, differential equations and linear algebra (matrix and matrcies). With DEs, linear algebra and a slightly more advanced form of calculus covered in the second semester course. Personally I got a higher mark in the 2nd semester course and found it MUCH easier, so if you can make it through MATH1110 you shouldn't have a whole lot of trouble in semester 2. D94 is correct, you pretty much are taught the material from scratch.

Agreeing with everyone else, how well you go does come down to work ethic more than anything else. I know people who did 3U and 4U in the HSC and still struggled with the first year math..while I was doing okay (coming from someone who got a band 3 in 2U).

Work your butt off and you will have no trouble at all.

yus456

HSC
N/A
Ok, thank you so much everyone. I shall give it a go :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)