other entries into uni ? (1 Viewer)

andybandy

HSC
Say, I dont get the atar for any of my preferences, what are the other options to get into uni? are their any other ways ?

coffee_

HSC
There are plenty of alternate pathways into uni. Heck, even if you get a mystery mark, you can still get into university. It might take you longer but in the end, you are still in.

If you don't get into the course you want, you can always do a course with a lower atar requirement which you can get into, work your ass off, get a good GPA and then transfer a year later into the course you want to do.

Many universities have programs which you complete if you did not get a good enough atar into your course. You do it for 6-12 months and then you can apply for university is you get marks and some programs even provide guarantee entry to the course you want.

Macquarie University has SIBT and Foundation program:
www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/‎
http://www.foundationstudies.mq.edu.au

University of Western Sydney has UWS college:
http://www.uwscollege.edu.au
You can do the foundation program or enrol in separate units which you can use to apply for university. They also have the diploma program where you complete a diploma and you get guaranteed access to the responding degree that you want to do the following year.

University of Newcastle has Newstep: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/students/foundation-studies/newstep/
Same thing as the foundation program.

Then there's Open University: http://www.open.edu.au
This has absolutely no entry requirements to complete a degree at many universities including Macquarie or Monash. You don't need an atar, they don't even look at your atar. They provide online resources, and you complete the degree online. You don't go to campuses. You just study yourself at home with the resources they give you, go to write the exams and you pretty much get a degree. If you would like you study on-campus, then you can always complete a couple of units from them and then use that to apply to university. This is a really great way to get into university or to complete a degree straight away if you have the self motivation. You can even complete the degree in 1.5 years or even 10 years because you work at your own pace.

Then if all else fails, there's TAFE. People usually do a Cert IV, diploma or advanced diploma and literally every uni accepts these as an alternate pathway as long as you get good marks.

HSC is definitely not the end of the world, even with the shittiest atar you can get. The merit based system in Australia is what makes it possible!

andybandy

HSC
Thankyou for all that!
I was considering the getting a course with a lower atar requirment and transfering, but a question about that, as long as you do extremely well, can you transfer to any course?
Im glad to see maquarie their ! is their anything unsw ?
Thankyou for all that though! its made me slight relieved about my atar, i still wanna do extremely good! but its good to have back ups. I dont think im gonna reach my 97 cause of school rank -.- but thanks again! :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankyou for all that!
I was considering the getting a course with a lower atar requirment and transfering, but a question about that, as long as you do extremely well, can you transfer to any course?
Im glad to see maquarie their ! is their anything unsw ?
Thankyou for all that though! its made me slight relieved about my atar, i still wanna do extremely good! but its good to have back ups. I dont think im gonna reach my 97 cause of school rank -.- but thanks again! :D
Pretty much except the super high demand courses like Law and Medicine. In those cases, there's usually a de facto minimum level of high school performance which coincides with successful entry.

What are you thinking of doing and what's your dream course?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if you dont get an atar for example bus @ usyd, other unis offer the same course with lower atar cut offs and you can choose that option then transfer 1 or 2 years in if you meet the criteria. Otherwise coffee_ said it all, and GL with your HSC

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Pretty much except the super high demand courses like Law and Medicine.
I'd go as far as to say that you can get into any course with no additional criteria. So coop courses are definitely out, and medicine to some extent as it requires more than just good uni results.

Law it still do-able, with a poor ATAR maybe not at UNSW or Usyd unless you don't mind transferring pretty late. But UWS, Macq, UTS? If you went well, no problems!

andybandy

HSC
I'm thinking of doing acturial studies (long shot, but first preference anway) then the next few choices are basically mechatronics engineering or advanced science/maths, computer science/software engineering, all the way to nanotechnology, or just science

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps you could do Actuarial at MQ?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
dont do mech, you'll fk your head and ur life. boringest shit ever.

andybandy

HSC
ive chosen it for unsw, but Maquarie's great to, are you able to change your preferences after you have received your atar?

andybandy

HSC
Alright, thanks for all your helps guys, and goodluck to any of use who are sitting the HSC to!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)