University Questions from a current Yr 12 student.... (1 Viewer)

martino1234

HSC
N/A
Here are some questions I have about uni:

1. How long are holidays at uni?
2. How will I afford to pay for my course ($7000-$8000 A YEAR!)
3. To current uni students..... am i allowed to join clubs from universities that I don't attend?
4. How are the jobs they offer at the unis? e.g. I heard there was bartending
5. Are the uni tests hard?
6. How are the clubs at uni?
7. Is it true that uni is full of parties?
8. Is it true that uni is depressing as hell?
9. To current uni students...... what is uni like?

Btw the unis I am considering are Usyd and UNSW and maybe UTS for teaching(which I will definitely get into)

Thank you

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
1. How long are holidays at uni?

varies between Universities. At MQ you get November-late February. Then two weeks mid sem break per 13 week semester with roughly a month between each semester.

2. How will I afford to pay for my course ($7000-$8000 A YEAR!)

HECS-HELP

3. To current uni students..... am i allowed to join clubs from universities that I don't attend?

Doubt it.

4. How are the jobs they offer at the unis? e.g. I heard there was bartending.

They pay really well but are pretty hard to get.

5. Are the uni tests hard?

Depends on the unit.

6. How are the clubs at uni?

Clubby. Join the ones that offer free food, those are the only ones you'll ever get much out of.

7. Is it true that uni is full of parties?

If you want it to be, yes.

8. Is it true that uni is depressing as hell?

From third year onward... absolutely.

9. To current uni students...... what is uni like?

Freedom to pursue what you want, responsibility to actually get it the fuck done.

You'll get a lot out of it if you really take hold of your studies and engage with the whole uni experience. If you just show up to class and go home, never talk with the academics, wait to be invited to shit etc. you'll probably have a really crap time.

Also, getting raped repeatedly by administration officers who are shit at their jobs.

martino1234

HSC
N/A
Also
1. Do you lose contact with high school friends?
2. How much does it cost to live at the uni?

Thanks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also
1. Do you lose contact with high school friends?
2. How much does it cost to live at the uni?

Thanks
1. Really depends. I moved 7 hrs away from hometown whilst most moved 3 hrs away in the opposite direction, so I probably don't have much contact with people from HS (beyond fb friends) compared to people who live in the same city. 10 hrs is quite a jump, but if you make effort to stay in contact with people you can.
2. College fees vary, also these vary to student accom (like Village type) accommodation, as village type accommodation is typically non catered, whereas colleges typically are. Depends on university. I currently like at a USYD college so you can ask me Qs on that. UNSW colleges are slightly cheaper iirc. UTS has student accom appt style not colleges persay, my sister lived there for 18 months as an undergrad.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How much harder is uni compared to high school?
Some people say it is more easier and some say its harder. Ultimately academic standards required by students are higher and assessments may or may not be more difficult. Furthermore you are not spoon fed like in high school, so I would say it is more difficult.

Getting 85% in high school,used to be fairly easy, but that isn't the case for me in uni....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)