cost of uni fees (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

non hecs courses would basically range from $8000 - $12000 a year or soemthing.

Jin-17

Dont forget the union fees as well, which I think is about $5000. I may be wrong about this, but even so, it contributes to the overall cost beacuse of the large amount being spend on.

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Jin-17
Dont forget the union fees as well, which I think is about $5000. I may be wrong about this, but even so, it contributes to the overall cost beacuse of the large amount being spend on.
Well, if you were at uni for 10 years non-stop (say you are doing a Arts/Law/Med/Science quadruple degree), then the total union fees you would have to pay would add up to about $5000, probably less.

Actually, the biggest costs that people don't take into account are textbooks, uni fees and transport. They cost me about $500, $400 and $750 each respectively. And that's a conservative estimate. Plus I saved where I could (bought books second hand or not at all, walked 15 mins to another bus route to save 30c each way to the station and back, etc). I also don't buy food at uni, and that can cost you about $600 per year if you spend $5/day 4 days a week.

Those four things alone are $2,000 per year, plus all the money that you could be making if you had put the time that you spend studying into work. Keep that in mind when you think about how much your degree will add to your salary.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScArSnIk

Super 1337 Adm!n
HSC
in other words....uni breaks the bank..and u go broke very quickly!!!

we're all tite ass ppl when we reach uni..=D

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Union fess are only about $200 a year. Yeh, textbooks are the real killer, they cost a fucking fortune

Bring back the days when uni had no fees. That's how todays politicians who brought back the fees got their educations

B

Bambul

I'm going to put forward my view on this.

Uni fees are the cheapest thing you have to pay for when you go to uni. You have to pay HECS, but you can defer it.

I was once talking to someone who went to uni during the 70's and then again in the 90's and she said that when uni was free you got a lot of freeriders who didn't really care too much about how they went, but went to uni because it was free. This took up places for people who were willing to put the effort at uni and it also reduced the quality of education for those who went. She said that most of the people at uni in the 90's were those that actually wanted to be there.

And free uni was introduced by Whitlam, long after most politicians went to uni. So the stories of politicians getting to go to uni for free and then slapping costs on us is just a myth.

I do believe that the cost of uni on individuals should be reduced, but there should be one. It acts as a form of resource allocation. Both individuals and the community as a whole benefit from having university qualified workers so IMO both should contribute to funding uni's (that means student contributions and funding by taxpayers).

Blackdawn

Hmmm so uni is pretty expensive... do all u guys have like part time jobs to pay for it? If so which places are the best places to work, cause im moving to sydney and im gonna have to pay for accomodation, textbooks, etc. Sounds like im going to have too work some long hours.... any ideas on were to get cheap accomodation? anyone want to share a unit? lol

Jin-17

Originally posted by Bambul

Well, if you were at uni for 10 years non-stop (say you are doing a Arts/Law/Med/Science quadruple degree), then the total union fees you would have to pay would add up to about $5000, probably less.

Actually, the biggest costs that people don't take into account are textbooks, uni fees and transport. They cost me about $500, $400 and $750 each respectively. And that's a conservative estimate. Plus I saved where I could (bought books second hand or not at all, walked 15 mins to another bus route to save 30c each way to the station and back, etc). I also don't buy food at uni, and that can cost you about $600 per year if you spend $5/day 4 days a week.

Those four things alone are $2,000 per year, plus all the money that you could be making if you had put the time that you spend studying into work. Keep that in mind when you think about how much your degree will add to your salary.
I didnt mean $5000 typing mistake

T

timbk2

um... uts union fees... are about $170 i think.... not sure..
and textbooks... yeah... they are expensive.... but when u're in a course like IT... dont bother... all the material is online.
as for transport and food.... start saving NOW

jessika

law chicky
HSC
damn uni fees...looks like I may just have to defer for a year and save up for uni

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Don't Hecs fees only cost between $4000-$6000 depending on the course that you are doing? Besides even if your parents didn't pay for your fees you could still work during the huge 3 month uni breaks and earn some cash. :cool:

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Ultimate
Don't Hecs fees only cost between $4000-$6000 depending on the course that you are doing? Besides even if your parents didn't pay for your fees you could still work during the huge 3 month uni breaks and earn some cash. :cool:
Yes and no. It is $3000-$6000, but that is per year. Do a BA in 3 years and you'll come out with less than $10,000 of HECS debt. Do 6 years of Med and you'll be out the other side with $25,000 of HECS debt. Plus it is indexed so it increses by about 2-3% each year (think of it as a really low interest rate).

You can get 25% off if you pay up front. If you make a lump sum payment later you may be able to get 15% off also (I think it has to be atleast $500 or something like that). Otherwise it is taken from your income (similar to income tax/medicare levy).

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
do you have to pay twice as much for combined degrees?

B

Bambul

Pretty much. It depends on the number of years it takes you. I have a frined doing a BCom (Actuarial Studies) with a BSc (Maths) which is just one extra yearontop of a 3 year BCom. I also know another friends doing Arts/Med, which is 1 extra year on her Med degree. Other double degrees can add another 2 years.

It also depends which band it falls into (ie. doing law will cost more than arts). But as a general rule, a bit less than double because it is usually less than double the length.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
Pretty much. It depends on the number of years it takes you. I have a frined doing a BCom (Actuarial Studies) with a BSc (Maths) which is just one extra yearontop of a 3 year BCom. I also know another friends doing Arts/Med, which is 1 extra year on her Med degree. Other double degrees can add another 2 years.

It also depends which band it falls into (ie. doing law will cost more than arts). But as a general rule, a bit less than double because it is usually less than double the length.
damn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)