Low atar - options? :( (1 Viewer)

Rentome

HSC
N/A
I really want to get into Macquarie University, do bachelors of engineering electronics however I got a very low atar - 57.30. I take full responsibility for this, I just should have tried harder. :'( I want to know if it would be better to do a diploma in engineering electronics at SIBT so I can move into second year degree or should I do a low atar course at UWS and then transfer to Macquarie after a year? SIBT has a minimum atar requirement of 55 and the lowest UWS course I can find is 64 :l

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you considering UWS with bonus points?

What's the cut off normally at MQ?

Does MQ or UWS have something similar to UTS Insearch?

Do either of those unis have the pathways program where you can do tafe alongside the first half of your degree to gain entry? (My brother had only a mildly higher ATAR than yours and did it with CSU, have you considered CSU?)

Rentome

HSC
N/A
Yes, I get 5 bonus points for living in western Sydney which makes my atar 62.30 but still too low for the lowest course they have which is 64. I could have gotten another 5 bonus points if I get a band 5 in any of my subjects but missed out on a band 5 by 1 mark, got 79 for business studies. :(

The cut off for MQ is 70 something. Yes, MQ has SIBT as I mentioned on my first post. I do a diploma at MQ and if I am successful, I can move into the second year of a bachelors degree. I meet the requirements for it, which is a minimum atar of 55.

No, not really keen on getting into CSU, MQ is the only uni I can find which has an engineering degree specifically focused on electronics. I can go to TAFE and do a diploma which usually takes 2 years but I can do the SIBT program offered by MQ which only takes one year and I move directly into the second year of the degree I wanted.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Yes, I get 5 bonus points for living in western Sydney which makes my atar 62.30 but still too low for the lowest course they have which is 64. I could have gotten another 5 bonus points if I get a band 5 in any of my subjects but missed out on a band 5 by 1 mark, got 79 for business studies. :(

The cut off for MQ is 70 something. Yes, MQ has SIBT as I mentioned on my first post. I do a diploma at MQ and if I am successful, I can move into the second year of a bachelors degree. I meet the requirements for it, which is a minimum atar of 55.

No, not really keen on getting into CSU, MQ is the only uni I can find which has an engineering degree specifically focused on electronics. I can go to TAFE and do a diploma which usually takes 2 years but I can do the SIBT program offered by MQ which only takes one year and I move directly into the second year of the degree I wanted.
Have you considered EAS points? Also, I'm sure UWS offers extra bonus points for certain performance bands in your subjects.

Have a look through this http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2013-main-cutoffs.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)