Credit vs High Distinction? (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
I don't know much about university but is there a difference in terms of career prospects if you average a credit vs high distinction? I heard employers don't really look at your marks :S

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i think it is important for when you want to transfer courses to other universities.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I'm no expert but I've heard that marks will help differentiate between candidates on an entry level. E.g they must have xx (usually 75 for bigger companies) WAM before we consider them.
It won't like guarantee a job or anything but a good mark might mean the employer might look passed the front page of your CV.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I don't know much about university but is there a difference in terms of career prospects if you average a credit vs high distinction? I heard employers don't really look at your marks :S
depending on your degree it can make a difference on an entry level, particularly for more competitive career paths

once you are *in* that job and wanna climb the ranks though, it has no relevance, that is when your actual work performance etc. comes into play

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
gets you a step up in the entry level ladder rat race. have fun applying with a 65 WAM in your first job vs a 85 WAM candidate.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Lot's of places won't even look at it; and a lot of students don't even bother listing it.

For some firms, it's definitely important; others, not so much.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just another thing to make you stand out from everyone else really.

But if you aren't super academically gifted but can show you are able to work hard in other ways, i.e. work/volunteer experience, extra-curriculars, etc. then that might help balance things out.

Depends on the degree though.
For my degree, high marks are mainly only needed to get you into research and stuff which will give you some extras for your CV later
but
passing the degree you still get the same job at the end and need to work up anyways, just the high-scorers have a few uni-related extras you have to compete with

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)