Offers/Deferring Question (1 Viewer)

Brotein

HSC
Just wondering whether it's possible to defer an offer for a year whilst applying for another uni? In my case, I have to wait until 2015 for ADFA so I'm planning to defer my first preference offer and then finish my Defence force application.

Thanks.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
do first year at unsw and then transfer your credits into adfa. that's what i'd do if i were you so you have a back up in case you get rejected as an ossifer.

Brotein

HSC
Yeah I've gotten mixed signals about that idea. I first asked the ADF recruitment officers and they said that ADFA doesnt allow transfers but someone on whirlpool forums mentioned that it was allowed as they had undergone this process. Can you PM me if you have additional information on this issue please? Thanks.

so_what

HSC
I emailed ADFA about this, and they do not allow transfer at all. And I would say a credit transfer is also unlikely because the ADFA courses are geared towards defence topics which may be difficult to match. If you really want to get into ADFA, your best bet is gap year and apply. But in saying that, what if you do not get in?
However, you could always look into a degree and getting defence sponsorship. Have you considered this route? It would also get you into the defence force after a degree.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Yeah I've gotten mixed signals about that idea. I first asked the ADF recruitment officers and they said that ADFA doesnt allow transfers but someone on whirlpool forums mentioned that it was allowed as they had undergone this process. Can you PM me if you have additional information on this issue please? Thanks.
That is really strange considering ADFA gives out a UNSW degree in specific bachelors (arts, commerce, etc) and majors. I have a friend who was almost medically discharged due to a leg injury and he couldn't finish his course at ADFA, so they let him go back to QLD and finish his degree and he was fine. Don't talk to the ADF recruitment officers, contact ADFA student services themselves, they have more information about it.

They don't allow you to directly transfer from UNSW, but ask if you can transfer credits, two very different questions. But coming in as a second year student does give you more stress since you have to catch up on a years worth of training that everyone else has done. I'd go the reservist officer route and switch to active when you graduate.

Brotein

HSC
So no-one has information on credit transfers? I would rather do that instead of a GAP year but if its really necessary to wait a year then I most likely will. And I've sent queries from today but it seems like they're on break as they've sent me an automated message informing me of their Christmas Break and will be open back on the 2nd on January which is like 2 days from main round offers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)