About UNI FEES (1 Viewer)

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
So I was wondering, if you didn't have access to 10K nor access to HECS, then that basically mean you cannot go to university if you do not score a scholarship?
Also what are student contribution fees? can you pay them along HECS or just have to pay them upfront every cnesus day?

D94

HSC
N/A
So I was wondering, if you didn't have access to 10K nor access to HECS, then that basically mean you cannot go to university if you do not score a scholarship?
Most domestic undergraduate students are enrolled in Commonwealth Supported Places, and hence are able to access HECS-HELP, so they would not need to pay upfront.

Your scenario sounds more like the case for an international student, except they wouldn't be paying 10k per year, but rather around 35k per year.

Also what are student contribution fees? can you pay them along HECS or just have to pay them upfront every cnesus day?
If you are referring to the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), then it's essentially the equivalent to those student contribution fees in public schools.

From the website:
The fee may be spent by higher education providers on items such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, child care, financial advice and food services from 2012.
http://www.innovation.gov.au/highereducation/StudentSupport/Pages/StudentServicesAndAmenities.aspx

You can apply for SA-HELP, which is similar to HECS-HELP, so you can defer the payment.

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
Oh thanks guys, but i was referring to what happens if a student (my friend) isn't a australian citizen but a resident of australia without refugee status, i think basically he is a permanent resident. He told me he couldn't go to uni yesterday as we went hanging out and discussing our plans for uni and i was like why can't you go to uni? He said he couldn't afford it and explain it to me and so i figured out that if I could ask on this forum, someone might know the answer! HAHA so kids that's domestic resident but can't afford 10K nor allowed to have a HECS fee help, they are basically not able to go to uni without a scholarship is my new question? Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/stu...-help/pages/hecs-help-welcome#CanIUseHECSHELP

Can I use HECS-HELP if I’m a New Zealand citizen or a permanent visa holder?

No. New Zealand citizens and non-humanitarian permanent visa holders are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan or discounts for up front payments of student contributions (unless the New Zealand citizen is also an Australian citizen).
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/fee-help/pages/fee-help-#AmIEligible
Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?
[...]
you are a permanent visa holder who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of the study;
[...]
So unless your friend is doing bridging study, if they can't find the money (whether it is or isn't through a scholarship), they cannot pay for university and hence not be able to go to university.

This should not be surprising though.

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
D94 thanks for your help man, but last question
can my friend use that excuse to say his parents aren't able to afford uni to get a disadvantage scholarship or something like that ?coz i feel abit sorry for him, he is capable of going to uni with high scores, so i guess its only schlarpship for him! HAHA

D94

HSC
N/A
Your friend would need to demonstrate that he comes from a low socio-economic background. But even with a scholarship, I don't think it would not be enough to fund a whole university degree, especially if he cannot gain any other assistance - a non-humanitarian permanent resident with no HELP assistance would be paying full fee (and as well as upfront), and that could be in excess of $35k per year. There may be payment plans provided by the university though.

If he is looking to live in Australia for the long term, then he should consider citizenship. Of course I don't know the exact details of his visa or situation in general, but a university degree seems to be beyond reach with his current situation (i.e. limited money).

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
Your friend would need to demonstrate that he comes from a low socio-economic background. But even with a scholarship, I don't think it would not be enough to fund a whole university degree, especially if he cannot gain any other assistance - a non-humanitarian permanent resident with no HELP assistance would be paying full fee (and as well as upfront), and that could be in excess of $35k per year. There may be payment plans provided by the university though.

If he is looking to live in Australia for the long term, then he should consider citizenship. Of course I don't know the exact details of his visa or situation in general, but a university degree seems to be beyond reach with his current situation (i.e. limited money).
Oh i see, but how would do be able to demonstrate he comes from a low socio-econimical background?
He has a PR so he is entitled to pay domestic fees, just that when he does, he either pays it infront or get a scholarship otherwise he cant go to uni.
If he tried for citizenship, and say he got it after enrolment at uni, wouldn't he still have to pay for uni upfront until he gets his citizenship?
Thanks for the help again D94, im just tryin help out a mate, an thanks to you i can do so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)