UNSW v USyd for Science/Law? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I had been pretty set on Medicinal Chemistry/Law at UNSW since the start of year 11, however someone has recently told me that in a b science at USyd with a major in med chem you do the exact same subjects, which means that both universities are now options for me. I know there are about 3 million threads about USyd v UNSW but I couldn't find any that dealt with both the science and law faculties. I really like the look of UNSW, it seems a little less pretentious and it seems to have smaller classes which I like, having come from a smaller school on the south coast. However the science department seems really male dominated, whereas I've noticed there appear to be much more female post doctorate fellows and PhD students at USyd which makes me think that maybe there's more opportunities given to young women there. I've also gotten really positive opinions about USyd sciences from everyone I know who has gone there, whereas I don't know anyone who has done science at UNSW.
Tl;dr:USyd or UNSW for med chem/law?
Thanks!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Negligible difference between the law faculties, though usyd is slightly more prestigious imo. It's probably best to go to info/open day and talk to staff/students from unsw science faculty.

bangladesh

HSC
okay, think about it. USYD's law school is better than UNSW to begin with. Science is much much better at usyd as well due to all the extra research you can do AS OF FIRST YEAR (TSP,SSP). It really is a clear choice.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I hope you enjoy doing closed book law exams if you choose USYD.

In all seriousness, pick the one that meets your needs most. USYD may cater for your needs or expectations, and thus it would be silly to pick UNSW.

You should factor in other elements including transport, accommodation (if living on campus) etc

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
okay, think about it. USYD's law school is better than UNSW to begin with. Science is much much better at usyd as well due to all the extra research you can do AS OF FIRST YEAR (TSP,SSP). It really is a clear choice.
Maybe a stupid question, but why is a usyd's law school better? UNSW graduates have starting salaries nearly $10,000 higher than USyd graduates according to the GUG?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I hope you enjoy doing closed book law exams if you choose USYD.

In all seriousness, pick the one that meets your needs most. USYD may cater for your needs or expectations, and thus it would be silly to pick UNSW.

You should factor in other elements including transport, accommodation (if living on campus) etc
I much prefer open book, I like that it tests ability rather than recall. I didn't know USyd had closed book, thanks for that! Also transport's not an issue for me, I live 5 hours away from Sydney so where I move to will depend on where I go, the new UNSW on campus accommodation is really lovely, usyd's is marginally cheaper though.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if we're going to start mentioning things that only about 6 people do, did you know that UNSW gives you the chance to be able to have your face on a massive 30x20m or so banner that they will design and print out, and hang it over the side of the Mechanical Engineering building in full view of everyone who walks by showing how proud the university is of you?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I much prefer open book, I like that it tests ability rather than recall. I didn't know USyd had closed book, thanks for that! Also transport's not an issue for me, I live 5 hours away from Sydney so where I move to will depend on where I go, the new UNSW on campus accommodation is really lovely, usyd's is marginally cheaper though.
That's because it was built in 1837, dear.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW also have a program for talented students in science, but they don't allow students who do a combined degree with science to get in. The small classes for law really helps you to know your classmates and understand the law by asking and answering a lot of questions. I would highly recommend UNSW:)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Maybe a stupid question, but why is a usyd's law school better? UNSW graduates have starting salaries nearly $10,000 higher than USyd graduates according to the GUG?
Salaries aren't that relevant. They could be totally coincidental for all we know; there are many more factors that play a part in graduate employment and starting salary than the quality of your university. At the end of the day, USYD and UNSW law are pretty much equal, the only reasons USYD may be considered better by some is because of the heritage/prestige as the oldest law school in Australia, and because they are slightly higher than UNSW in university rankings. But really, even if you did place some importance on rankings, the difference is so small it is negligible.

As has been said before, you really need to go to USYD/UNSW Open Days yourself to get a feel for each of them and decide which is best for you. The law faculties at both universities are top quality and you can't go wrong with either. Same goes for Medicinal Chemistry, the only real notable difference is that the UNSW degree sets out a lot of the units they want you to do, and at first glance, it looks like their program is more comprehensive than the USYD major (which only requires you to do Chemistry and Pharmacology). But if you pick your electives well you should be able to get the same out of the USYD major as you can out of UNSW.

EDIT: Just checked, UNSW do not offer a combined Bachelor of Medicinal Chemistry/Bachelor of Laws. So unless you want to do the Medicinal Chemistry degree and a JD afterwards, or major in something like Chemistry and choose electives that mimic the Medicinal Chemistry program, then you'd be better off doing Science/Law at USYD.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The biggest factor you should consider is the science major you will pick.

The quality of the Law faculties are very similar. Considering all the available science majors are very different, quality does vary

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
don't doubt the new south.

apparently unsw's law school is 12th or something in the world and it has top of the line science facilities. but in the end choose which one works for you. Just because UNSW grads have 10K extra staring salary does not mean you will also get this, likewise going to usyd does not mean you will be disadvantaged latter when applying (afaik).

transport to UNSW is horrible. tony abbot pls fix asap

enoilgam

HSC

This pretty much. Transport is one issue people often ignore (myself included), but it makes things a million times easier.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd rather sit comfortably on a bus for 20 minutes than walk through Redfern with fear of being stabbed.

Then again I'm from Western Sydney so if they try anything, I can shank them without even having anything sharp - but still, for those of you not from there and without the knowledge I've gained from growing up in the area, you may not be so lucky :(

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'd rather sit comfortably on a bus for 20 minutes than walk through Redfern with fear of being stabbed.

Then again I'm from Western Sydney so if they try anything, I can shank them without even having anything sharp - but still, for those of you not from there and without the knowledge I've gained from growing up in the area, you may not be so lucky :(
dem f33ls

You can catch a bus from central to usyd though :L

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
dem f33ls

You can catch a bus from central to usyd though :L
but is it a -special- bus

So special with its own route name, and with "Sydney University" or a variant on the route name?

pHyRe

HSC
but is it a -special- bus

So special with its own route name, and with "Sydney University" or a variant on the route name?
nope, but you can get a free bus from uni to redfern station after 4pm if you're that worried. been through there at 9-10pm and it's fine. bus has a big Usyd logo on it or whatever.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

#2770forlyf

enoilgam

HSC
USyd is easy to get to from Redfern by foot - if you have to go in at night, walking from Central is a pretty safe/easy alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)