What does everybody want to do and why? (1 Viewer)

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
I personally want to get into a BA for anything in sydney and then transfer to journalism. I want to write for the anti-war movement and to endevor to allow people freedom of expression and a search for peace. I was wondering what other people wanted to do and most of all why? :cool:

bex

HSC
I too want to be a journo.. but i dont know why!!! Im trying to articulate that right now in my CSU entry essays and i cant even start it!

Felix: I

i wanna go into some sort of design. either graphics or industrial
at least it'll be something i'm good at and enjoy, and has some sort of future...

Rosie

I've always wanted to become either a pre-school or infants teacher so im going to get a BA of early childhood education! My reasons? coz i've always liked kids and i enjoy teaching them new things and some say im pretty good at teaching people how to do things..for instance i taught my nephew who is in year 1 his 5 times tables :p I did work experience at a school and enjoyed it so thats where my heart is :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
I want to do commerce/law at either sydney or unsw (having major difficulty choosing atm). In a previous post i said i liked the logic etc of the law, plus its interesting and reflects society. In terms of commerce, its always something I've been interested in, I've been doing the accounts at school for the charity committee, prefects and the formal. Ultimately I hope to be a funds manager or merchant banker or a company executive.....but also anything off the topic like a business journalist in something like BRW, or maybe do satire like cnnnn. SO although I'm not sure where they will actually lead, I'm excited for the courses themselves...now all i need is to get in!!!

Jin-17

I want to go into chinese herbal mediceine and acputure in UTS and there are meany reason such as it will further my matial arts to new horizons, intested me for a very long time, doing domething worthwile for the community, and is an occpation in which I can do for a very long time and improve on. Also, I want to do it since no one else in the family is doing it and I mean the whole family and is something to show off to my grandpa:)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Jin-17
I want to go into chinese herbal mediceine and acputure in UTS and there are meany reason such as it will further my matial arts to new horizons, intested me for a very long time, doing domething worthwile for the community, and is an occpation in which I can do for a very long time and improve on. Also, I want to do it since no one else in the family is doing it and I mean the whole family and is something to show off to my grandpa:)

That is such an interesting choice. Sorry to sound ignorant, but how would knowledge of acupuncture directly impact on ur martial arts? And does having that as a reason for ur career choice also mean u would like to go into martial arts professionally (or however that may work)?

Jin-17

Originally posted by timmii

That is such an interesting choice. Sorry to sound ignorant, but how would knowledge of acupuncture directly impact on ur martial arts? And does having that as a reason for ur career choice also mean u would like to go into martial arts professionally (or however that may work)?

I sense your doubt and I willl try to explain here. In martail arts its always an advantage to now more about how your body works, heal it, know which technique do the most damaging effect, know the weak points in the body by the nerve points and circualtion. Also, the really advance techniqe in martial arts as u know is the ablity to generate inner energy or u may call chi which u also can learn in aacpture is the dircetion of the flow and it can have a better knowlge on how to generate this. Also, I am a hapkido/taekwondo fighter, and learning acpture really helps, in that in hapkido which is well known for the wrist and joint locks. Also, doing martill arts professionaly has its own merits, but I think is limited in that the saying is "knowledge is power". If u think martial arts is all about, fighting and just doing the technique u are dead wrong.

O yeah another thing, in Jet Li's film the "Kiss of the dragon" where he had needles around his arm, he was using capture techniques by inserting those needles to the dealy areas. (I know its not really realistic, but it does show there are weakness everywhere in the human body which can be exploited)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
B Commerce/B Arts double @ USYD or a B Ec/B Arts double @ UNSW

but, i'd settle for B Com (Acc)/B App Fin or something @ macquarie if I dun make UNSW/Usyd

Amuka

Originally posted by xanadu2428
I personally want to get into a BA for anything in sydney and then transfer to journalism. I want to write for the anti-war movement and to endevor to allow people freedom of expression and a search for peace. I was wondering what other people wanted to do and most of all why? :cool:
People like you are total oxygen bandits and a disgrace to the human race. I can't fucking stand pathetic little tree hugging hippys. :sniper: :uzi: :chainsaw:

To secure peace is to prepare for war
War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself
- John Stuart Mill

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
-George Orwell

It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of
speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the
freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves
beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
tree hugging hippi

actually im not a hippi but thankyou for your sweeping generalisation and for illustrating my oppinion that people who are prepared to go to war without serious debate are simply cowards un-willing to listen to anyone's oppinion. I take it from your comment that you would like to go to Iraq to represent Australia in war, well good luck to you.

quote: 'When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power the world will know peace...'

Rosie

Amuka before bad mouthing other peoples choice of courses why don't u tell us what yours is! the whole point of this thread was to discuss our choice of courses and the reasons why we chose them. If you have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all....and don't judge xanadu2428. You shouldn't judge anyone for that matter.

Amuka

Re: tree hugging hippi

Originally posted by xanadu2428
actually im not a hippi but thankyou for your sweeping generalisation and for illustrating my oppinion that people who are prepared to go to war without serious debate are simply cowards un-willing to listen to anyone's oppinion.
lol, before you present your oppinion[sic] as being superior to others you might want to lean to spell the word. :rolleyes:

Exactly where did i state that i wanted war without serious debate, i didnt do anything of the sort so get your head out of your arse, i couldn't imagine a more effective method to aid government tyranny than a needless war.

Your coward comment makes me sick. There is nothing more noble then laying down your life for the life of others, you think your brave pushing a pen behind a desk???

I take it from your comment that you would like to go to Iraq to represent Australia in war, well good luck to you
Hell yes, so far my only plans for next year are to join the reserve and if the call comes you better believe i'll be ready to answer it. Hopefully we'll go take care of Saudi Arabia afterwards.

'When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power the world will know peace...'
And if everyone in the world gave me a dollar i would be able to retire rich but its sorta pointless to talk about things that will never happen :rolleyes:

If you have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all....and don't judge xanadu2428. You shouldn't judge anyone for that matter.
Whenever i find anything morally repulsive i will speak up and have no respect for those who would not.

It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of
speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the
freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves
beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Rosie

Re: Re: tree hugging hippi

Originally posted by Amuka

Whenever i find anything morally repulsive i will speak up and have no respect for those who would not.
Its one thing to have an opinion but its another thing to offend someone else in the process. "morally repulsive" is that what u call it hey? i think its morally repulsive that anyone could set out to judge people without even knowing them first, while on top of all that offending them at the same time. I have no respect for people who don't think about their actions and the implications of what they say on others.

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
Amuka you stated that "Exactly where did i state that i wanted war without serious debate", yet you commented "People like you are total oxygen bandits and a disgrace to the human race". I am sorry maybe you are able to spell and remember quotes but you contradictions scare me. I respect you for your conviction and your oppinion, but intellegant debate does not include using rude language, sweeping generalisations or personal attacks. I started this thread as i was genuinly interested in what people want to do with their lives, and if you find being a soldier a noble proffesion i respect that and wish you luck. We live in a democratic society and we are lucky enough to have choice. I now ask you to please cease your attacks in this thread as i am interested in the questions i asked in the first place "what people want to do and why". If you would like to abuse me futher your quite welcome to email= xanadu2428@hotmail.com, but please keep it off this thread, thankyou.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
you see amuka, the fact you had to come on this thread and begin blatantly abusing someone suggests a need to defend your opinions/beliefs because you're currently unsure of them. if you honestly believed you were right you'd have the self control to keep your opinions to yourself or at least know how to express them without offending someone else.
i'm not sure any armed force is going to take you until you come to understand simple concepts like that but i'm sure you've got plenty of years ahead of you to learn how to grow up. good luck with that, i'm sure you'll be needing it

Amuka

Ok so if xanadu2428 had come and said he wanted to become a journo to write for the white supremacist movement and that all new and first generation immagrants should be sent back where they came from would everyone that came and shouted him down and abused him be morally replusive? Would they be unsure in their opinions because they argued with him?

if you honestly believed you were right you'd have the self control to keep your opinions to yourself
Yeah your right, obviously MLK, the Suffragettes and the Barons in 1215 were all very unsure of their opinions and if they would of kept them to themselves the world would be a much better place. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i'm not sure any armed force is going to take you until you come to understand simple concepts like that
I've argued fiercely over many things esp. politics, with minds far superior to yours both on the net and in rl, i would suggest you refrain from involving yourself in arguements till such a time as you are able to stop making comments that are just plain stupid and wrong.

I'm amazed that you people have gradauted hs and are only able to mount child-like arguements such as "oh no you can't offend anyone because they might start crying and thats bad!!! :eek: "

!meeee!

you see you know your argument is poor when you have to take things out of context in order to validate what you're saying.
the reality is xanadu2428 doesn't want to write for the white supremacist movement and actually wants to do something most ppl would consider noble.

btw, i loved how you had to pull what i said out of context
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you honestly believed you were right you'd have the self control to keep your opinions to yourself
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you see a sentence continues until the fullstop and if i remember correctly that on finished with "or at least know how to express them without offending someone else. "

there's this thing called communication, it's the ability to express yourself in a socially acceptable manner. you might want to have a think about that.

your ability to simplify and misquote is quite incredible for someone of your age. i'm sure you're very proud you can argue fiercely, the question is, do you ever win? doubt it

Amuka

Originally posted by !meeee!
the reality is xanadu2428 doesn't want to write for the white supremacist movement and actually wants to do something most ppl would consider noble.
It's called freedom of speech and it means that it doesnt matter if the majority or the government thinks its noble or not. If you dont like my opinion then fine you may argue agianst it and try to change but what you may not do is argue agianst my right to express it in the first place.

if you honestly believed you were right you'd have the self control to keep your opinions to yourself or at least know how to express them without offending someone else
The key words are "or at least" which clearly states that you believe that if someone honestly believes in their opinion then the best option is to remain quiet, and this is what i argued agianst and had every right to do so.

!meeee!

i'm sincerely sorry if you feel that way and if i led you to believe that. you have every right to express your opinions and i encourage you to do so. i do however take issue with the way in which you express those opinions

i find it ironic that xanadu2428 wanted to "allow people freedom of expression" the very same thing you seem to be arguing, yet you were able to criticise the desire to do so in someone else.

i find your reference to "oxygen bandits" and "tree hugging hippys" to be both immature and offensive. i would hope your vocabulary contained more appropriate terms

feel free to argue and express your opinion, i'm sorry if you thought i didn't wish you to do so. if however you wish to dispute or challenge someone else's opinion i advise you to find a more suitable way that others won't find offensive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)