Failing Second Year (1 Viewer)

Amaroq

HSC
Hey guys,
So for the first semester of this year I completely fucked up my WAM by failing 3 courses due to an assortment of problems which have now been resolved (or at least I feel they have been). I have an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss my options for this coming semester, but thought I'd ask for opinions/advice here as well.

Currently enrolled at UNSW Comp Sci, but finding that I really want to transfer to another course. Did some extensive research, settled on Medical Science or just Science. My overall WAM is down to 45, which really puts me in a bad place for UNSW internal program transfers. Options I'm considering are:

• Pull myself through another semester of Comp Sci to hopefully boost my WAM and attempt an IPT to Science (Min 65 WAM)
  • Discontinue and take the following half year to sort out my shit, then re-apply through UAC to USyd Science/Med Science
Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
drop some subjects; keep one or two; try and knock them out of the ball park; boost them grades... It will take you longer to finish your degree, but if grades are the bees knees for you... It is probably best to take that option... or see a student counsellor in relation to exploring other possible (and maybe even better) options...

pHyRe

HSC
2nd option sounds good. And first sem next year dont take too many subjects. 2 or 3 i reckon.

Amaroq

HSC
drop some subjects; keep one or two; try and knock them out of the ball park; boost them grades... It will take you longer to finish your degree, but if grades are the bees knees for you... It is probably best to take that option... or see a student counsellor in relation to exploring other possible (and maybe even better) options...
Grades aren't a huge deal for me, I want to do well of course, but my motivation for continuing my current course is pretty low and I'm really disliking uni because of it.

2nd option sounds good. And first sem next year dont take too many subjects. 2 or 3 i reckon.
Thinking I might do this, it's just that everyone I know seems to be doing the whole 4 subjects a semester thing and feels...odd? that I won't be.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

forum

Banned
HSC
I will suggest failing is much better then getting bad grade like C or D in your semester. Because in second chance you will have option to work on your weak areas....but once you get D you have to face lots of people in your life when you go for job interview and you will plan to make excuses.

So opt for second chance.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I will suggest failing is much better then getting bad grade like C or D in your semester. Because in second chance you will have option to work on your weak areas....but once you get D you have to face lots of people in your life when you go for job interview and you will plan to make excuses.

But distinctions and credits are pretty fuycking good.

#yourenotevenaustralian

D94

HSC
N/A

I don't understand how anyone could advocate failing over any other grade that is a pass or higher.

Either you don't know how the tertiary education system works, or you are using the US grading system, or you are simply trolling.

Thief

!!
HSC
I don't understand how anyone could advocate failing over any other grade that is a pass or higher.

Either you don't know how the tertiary education system works, or you are using the US grading system, or you are simply trolling.
I'm pretty sure the way they are saying that D is a bad mark (and worse than C) means that they're going by the A - E grading system.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure the way they are saying that D is a bad mark (and worse than C) means that they're going by the A - E grading system.
I know that - I was meant to say ECTS (which goes from A to E, and there's probably an F as well) but the same point can be made with the US grading system. In the context of UNSW grades, how can someone advocate failing over any other pass grade or higher?

Also, a C in the ECTS would be around a Credit. And a D would be a Pass.

pHyRe

HSC
Grades aren't a huge deal for me, I want to do well of course, but my motivation for continuing my current course is pretty low and I'm really disliking uni because of it.

Thinking I might do this, it's just that everyone I know seems to be doing the whole 4 subjects a semester thing and feels...odd? that I won't be.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.
nah not really, it probably wont even come up. one girl i knew accidentally did 3 subjects last semester cause they messed it up on enrollment day and she never bothered to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)