BCom/LLB - UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

JackCMH

HSC
N/A
USYD - better reputation for law
UNSW - better reputation for commerce

if you were to choose one, which uni would you choose?

MBMD

HSC
For undergrad commerce the difference in reputation between those two unis is negligible. UNSW's higher rep for commerce comes from its postgrad programs like the MBA. Not sure about law. Pick the uni that appeals most to you.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would choose UNSW (But I might be a bit biased since I am studying law at UNSW currently), because I truly think that the smaller classes offered in UNSW really allows a much more holistic understanding of the law and you can get more personalised attention from the lecturer unlike in a large lecture hall. There is nothing better than learning about law through class discussions:)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I chose USYD. The reputation for UNSW commerce mainly exists on BoS - employers don't really distinguish between these two (UTS is pretty much on par for most acct/finance jobs other than IB/MBB). MBA in Australia though, definitely UNSW. If UNSW undergrad comm was really the pinnacle, top kids from USYD wouldn't be getting BCG Scholarship.

For law at USYD, you have both lectures and tutorials. UNSW, as mentioned above, has smaller classes which obviously has many advantages. USYD tutorials have 10-15 students so you don't miss out on much. You also have great lecturers here - experts in their fields. While initially I assumed they would be less willing to help - the lectures and tutes so far have been very friendly and open (i.e. help during class, consultations as well as email - pretty much writing a whole page explaining overlaps how/when to apply certain principles).

At the end of the day, if you go to either of these law schools - you aren't disadvantaged in anyway. A friend of mine recently did a clerkship at a big 6 firm. Everyone in that cohort was from usyd and unsw.

Last edited:

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
I would choose UNSW (But I might be a bit biased since I am studying law at UNSW currently), because I truly think that the smaller classes offered in UNSW really allows a much more holistic understanding of the law and you can get more personalised attention from the lecturer unlike in a large lecture hall. There is nothing better than learning about law through class discussions:)
I thought you said you were studying science?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)