Do people that get 98/99 atars do just as well in uni? (1 Viewer)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
While the purpose of an atar atm for hsc students is to see whether or not you are illegible for your course, I was wondering if top achievers in the HSC generally do just as well in uni. Is it common to see someone who got a 99 atar average D/HD in uni?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
not necessarily

in general most of them continue to do well but some also gg likewise the converse

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
if they keep doing what they did in yr 12 yeah
but most of the time it is all fun and games with their stupid "p's get degrees" motto

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Secondary education results have barely any relevance to tertiary results :haha:

It basically comes down to your work ethic and the nature of your learning.

If you got 97, 98 or 99 in the HSC but start slacking off to a large extent in university, then you probably won't get a HD average or even, a D average.

I personally think I'm doing quite well for my first year of Business/Law at UTS (85~ WAM and Distinction GPA in 1st sem. WAM will probably drop after 2nd sem :haha: ) but I know people who are doing a bit better than me (like a higher WAM by like 1 or 2 as of now~~ though most of us have the same GPA) and they got like 93/94ish or 97/98ish for Year 12.

And I wouldn't say I've slacked off (though my work ethic probably has fallen since Year 12 :haha: ). I.e. ATAR means nothing.

Your ATAR isn't going to determine your tertiary results. It's the fresh new mindset in university that will determine your tertiary results.

Yes, it's common for people with like 90+ WAM or something ridiculous like 95+ WAM to be those 99+ or 99.5+ or 99.95 kids. But there's probably 98+ or 99+ kids out there who've taken a step backwards - a lot of the time, it's due to motivation problems. e.g. I've spent all my effort for the HSC, I just want to fully relax everyday now.

Last edited:

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
pretty much their life sucks and they have nothing else to be proud of if they do this
ikr; so many people at uni are gg'ing their WAM's but are like "i got 99"

doesn't mean shit once you get into uni (which is the purpose of the atar anyways )

lebomatic

HSC
people above are stupid. instead of ATAR there are still many people who will ask you what your WAM is. doesn't mean they're bad people at all.

iStudent

HSC
people usually don't and if they do you never speak to such filth again
What's wrong with asking ATARs? Is it like taboo in uni or something? lol. If it's really just a number, why care so much if someone asks you about it?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
people above are stupid. instead of ATAR there are still many people who will ask you what your WAM is. doesn't mean they're bad people at all.
You're one of 'those' people I see.
What's wrong with asking ATARs? Is it like taboo in uni or something? lol. If it's really just a number, why care so much if someone asks you about it?
There's nothing wrong with it, my friend and I were talking about hsc and it came up (and I was happy to share) but then there are some people who ask you straight up "what did you get" "Ohh you only got X atar" and make such a fuss/big deal about it and mention "I got Y" [where Y >> X]

volumeofvoice

HSC
Never thought asking about WAMs in uni was bad at all. Just thought that asking about ATAR in uni would be quite irrelevant considering the fact that it definitely doesn't underpin your performance in uni.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think one factor that hasn't been adequately raised up in this discussion is it also depends very heavily whether the particular person likes the degree they have chosen or got into, if the degree they got into wasn't one that they enjoyed, i.e. only selected based on parental expectation or atar requirements, then it is unlikely they are going to put the effort required to succeed.

Another point is that unlike the HSC, people in uni often have many other committments, like work, even relationships if you come down to it, and people start to priortise different things, because in uni, a HD average does not increase your opportunity to get a job without any job experience or connections. So in uni, there is a general focus for more rounded development, and hence doing just as well is a relative term, for some, HD is a minimum, while for others, they may be happy with a D or Credit.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think one factor that hasn't been adequately raised up in this discussion is it also depends very heavily whether the particular person likes the degree they have chosen or got into, if the degree they got into wasn't one that they enjoyed, i.e. only selected based on parental expectation or atar requirements, then it is unlikely they are going to put the effort required to succeed.

Another point is that unlike the HSC, people in uni often have many other committments, like work, even relationships if you come down to it, and people start to priortise different things, because in uni, a HD average does not increase your opportunity to get a job without any job experience or connections. So in uni, there is a general focus for more rounded development, and hence doing just as well is a relative term, for some, HD is a minimum, while for others, they may be happy with a D or Credit.
I agree with this.

I mean for most people, if not all - it's so much better investing the extra time you'd spend 'trying' to get a HD average over a Credit or D average (seriously, in some courses and after 1st year - getting or maintaining a HD average is near impossible for most people even if they camped in the library 24/7 :haha: ) on other commitments - whether it be relationships, leisure, part-time/full-time work or extra curricular activities.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Asking the ATAR question is pretty dumb, it's like your still stuck in the past and have nothing else to converse about/achieved anything at university(to chat about), no-one at uni wants to chat about ATAR anymore. In addition you'll see alot of older/few years past HSC students at uni doing your first year subject either as as an elective or mature aged, and the last thing they remember/want to chat about is their ATAR(or UAI for them).

You can joke around about ATAR and shit, but a straight-forward question about it just creates an crappy atmosphere i found(people have nothing much more to say after etc..or there's always someone who flaunts their ATAR)

In relation to WAM, more of a conversation would be how did you go in your subjects last semester etc..., you try not to ask for WAM specifically unless the person feels like chatting about it, in terms of friends we discuss it all the time in terms of internships jobs etc...so abit like ATAR but still relevant

enoilgam

HSC
It basically comes down to your work ethic and the nature of your learning.
Totally agree. If you have good habits and methods from HS, then you should do extremely well at uni. A lot of people will disagree, but success at school, uni and even work are all based on the same principles. If you keep on top of the work, study the right things and prepare yourself in an efficient and effective way, then your success in HS will carry on until uni. If you were lazy in HS or inefficient with your study, then those characteristics will carry on in uni and those students usually do poorly.

enoilgam

HSC

Also important factors. In regards to the second point specifically, marks dont have as much of an impact when it comes to getting a job in most fields. Having a C/D average is more than enough - getting a HD average is virtually pointless unless you want to go into a field like Management Consulting or IB.

In relation to WAM, more of a conversation would be how did you go in your subjects last semester etc..., you try not to ask for WAM specifically unless the person feels like chatting about it, in terms of friends we discuss it all the time in terms of internships jobs etc...so abit like ATAR but still relevant
I didnt even know my WAM until I had to look it up when applying for grad jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)