MQ Law vs UTS Law vs UNSW Commerce (1 Viewer)

smoothsailing

HSC
I received an early offer for law/commerce at MQ, however this isn't my first preference..I have business/law at UTS alot higher in my preferences with the idea that more graduates from UTS get scooped up by companies as opposed to MQ - discounting USYD AND UNSW (unsure how true that is) & the idea that UTS generally has a better reputation than MQ. I also have ba commerce (double degree) at UNSW with the intention of eventually transferring to law given that I smash my first year..or perhaps I wont and major in finance or something. What would you say?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Accept any law program and then transfer to UNSW Law if that's your ultimate passion; I hear more of people transferring through the external routes with lower marks than you'd expect than internally (iirc, there's less internal transfer positions available?). Otherwise, uni is mostly what you make of your time there that affects your employability - your extra-curriculars, work experience, volunteer work, etc - rather than the reputation of the uni itself. Your uni doesn't really determine the calibre of your own ability.

Also I guess consider what you want to get into in the future. If it's Law, then I would suppose you take either Law program as a safety for not making the transfer to UNSW Law, and then therefore you would at least be studying Law somewhere. But if you're keen on working in business then you can get there by doing any of those 3 degrees and just involving yourself in as many opportunities as possible (there are a lot if you're attentive).

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Statistics of employability doesn't mean much because they apply to a group and not to individuals-ultimately it is up to you to make yourself as employable as possible-the fact that in the past that graduates from a certain uni is more employable than another is not going to determine your chances of being employed-because that is assessed on how well you suit the employment criteria as a candidate.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Accept any law program and then transfer to UNSW Law if that's your ultimate passion; I hear more of people transferring through the external routes with lower marks than you'd expect than internally (iirc, there's less internal transfer positions available?). Otherwise, uni is mostly what you make of your time there that affects your employability - your extra-curriculars, work experience, volunteer work, etc - rather than the reputation of the uni itself. Your uni doesn't really determine the calibre of your own ability.

Also I guess consider what you want to get into in the future. If it's Law, then I would suppose you take either Law program as a safety for not making the transfer to UNSW Law, and then therefore you would at least be studying Law somewhere. But if you're keen on working in business then you can get there by doing any of those 3 degrees and just involving yourself in as many opportunities as possible (there are a lot if you're attentive).
This pretty much sums it up.

I don't know why people take the risk of doing a degree which they don't want to do just to be eligible for an internal transfer.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
My thoughts are the same as Crobat and OzKo on this situation and the ''risks'' involved but it's really up to you.

Accept any law program and then transfer to UNSW Law if that's your ultimate passion; I hear more of people transferring through the external routes with lower marks than you'd expect than internally (iirc, there's less internal transfer positions available?).
Probably not, if we're talking about UNSW. In fact, I've heard stories (which may be true or not true because they might be only rumours) of UNSW accepting zero or very few external transfers into their combined law program in some years. They only guarantee a minimum of 100 spots for their internal transfer program into combined law - it's very much unknown for external transfers.

However, external transfers do seem more favourable (relatively) if we're talking about USYD combined law.

@OP:

Here are my thoughts for the MACQ/UTS combined law option.

Advantage
- Not only do you have the option of an external transfer to USYD/UNSW combined law, you'll be at least doing a combined law program somewhere if it doesn't go as planned as mentioned.

Disadvantage
- Credit recognition might become problematic after an external transfer (for example, 2 of your subjects at UTS/MACQ might not be recognised by UNSW or USYD - this means you might be ''behind'' in your degree). However, there's always the options of summer school/overloading to ensure you finish your degree ''on time'' and if it comes to it, one extra semester isn't the end of the world.

If you do take the external transfer route, I can tell you that you'll probably get more credits recognised if you're going from MACQ to UNSW compared to from UTS to UNSW.

I don't know why people take the risk of doing a degree which they don't want to do just to be eligible for an internal transfer.
Unless you're extremely confident that you'll do well in 1st year (seriously, one can never know what might happen), basically this.

An UNSW internal transfer to combined law requires a WAM of approximately 80~

80 WAM is ''doable'' but it's not easy either.

Yes, there are success stories of internal transfers into combined law but some people make it sound as if it's guaranteed or something when advising people on their situation.

If you're fine with doing Commerce, as a single degree, in the worse case scenario - by all means go for the internal transfer option. However, if you're really set on doing commerce/law on the other hand and want maximum ''safety'', you should consider Crobat's suggestion.

I guess there's also the Juris Doctor alternative if the internal transfer option doesn't work out but it's up to you.

asi9

HSC
UTS/Macq are pretty even in terms of prestige, wouldn't say one trumps the other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)