Distinction Average (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I had my sights set on Sydney Law for a while now, but ive been doing pretty horrendously this year, so I'll probably be looking at UTS law or something of the kind.....

But ill still be looking at transferring to Sydney after my first year at UTS...

so how hard is it to maintain a distinction average in your first year?

And what exactly IS a distinction at most unis, ie : top 10%?

Last edited:

cayte

Well, depending on your degree of course, it's not hard to keep it up in your first year; cramming and possessing a general intelligence should serve you well enough. But as far as percentages go, there's a lot of rumour and very little fact. As far as I know it's different for every school in every uni. I think some departments work on a merit basis too, ie you get the mark you deserve, not a rank. 76+ is a distinction.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Pass is 50 - 64
Credit is 65 - 74
Distinction is 75 - 84
High Distinction is 85 - 100

So to answer your question, at least a 75% average. It does take quite a bit of work (depending on your course) to maintain a D average.

Giant Lobster

HSC
why are the marks so low for something so highly regarded (D av)... are the tests in uni designed to be barely survivable?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It would probably be better if you did arts/commerce/science etc at USyd and then transferred internally. External transfers are a problem as different unis do different law courses at different times etc. Transfer in the second year into law (the NRSL cut-off is about 96-97). This way you do a whole year of USyd law courses and then continue the combined degree in the 3rd - 5th years as normal and finish it at the same time instead of maybe having to catch up etc during summer.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
75% isn't easy at uni compared to school. Just keep that in mind. Most first years start uni thinking like yeh they can get 90s easy, but yeh its hard.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
It would probably be better if you did arts/commerce/science etc at USyd and then transferred internally. External transfers are a problem as different unis do different law courses at different times etc. Transfer in the second year into law (the NRSL cut-off is about 96-97). This way you do a whole year of USyd law courses and then continue the combined degree in the 3rd - 5th years as normal and finish it at the same time instead of maybe having to catch up etc during summer.
I'd probably be better of doing law at another university - getting a transfer isn't a guarentee by any means, and what I really want to do is law..it'd suck to have to apply post-grad if i missed out :p

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by jasee
75% isn't easy at uni compared to school. Just keep that in mind. Most first years start uni thinking like yeh they can get 90s easy, but yeh its hard.
Originally posted by natstar
Exacly. Uni and high school marking is soooo different. Anything over a pass is a bonus
tell me about it. i didn't expect to do REALLY well or anything, but yeah i guess i've been half-assed with my assignments so i've been getting credits. i'm happy, though. even if i cant; get my transfer

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
fuck USYD, you'd be much better off aiming for UNSW unless travel is an issue or something
Everyone who ive talked to seems to think SYD is the go...

what's better about NSW?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
hrm..

well you've given me something to think about there :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You generally need to be in at least the top 35% to get a distinction, and usually the top 25%.

Varies between faculties, though. A distinction average is meant to be the equivalent of a UAI of 96. Personally I think the distinction average requires less work. Or maybe we're just 'better' once we reach uni. *shrugs*

cayte

That's interesting to know, I often wondered that. Hm, I agree, much easier to get a bottom of the barrel distinction at uni than a 96+ at high school.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
You generally need to be in at least the top 35% to get a distinction, and usually the top 25%.

Varies between faculties, though. A distinction average is meant to be the equivalent of a UAI of 96. Personally I think the distinction average requires less work. Or maybe we're just 'better' once we reach uni. *shrugs*
not really!
depend on what subjects you do

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by redslert
not really!
depend on what subjects you do
In total agreement. (And doing subjects where the bulk of the candidature has a UAI of about 98+ doesn't help one's cause.)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It would be good to be competing against dumbarses from the marks point of view, but who doesn't want a little competition?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
A little competition is alright, but competition overkill is not good.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Not necessarily, I have huge incentive to beat everyone again, now that I know who my competition are, which in turn helps me achieve higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)