Communications degree at usyd, unsw or uts? (1 Viewer)

asalvatore

HSC
Hi,

I'm thinking about university courses at the moment and all I feel is stress. I've been juggling between:

1. Bachelor of Arts (Media Communications) @ USYD

2. Bachelor of Commerce/Media (Pr & Advertising) @ UNSW

3. Bachelor of Public Communication @ UTS

I thought that UNSW would be a good option because I'm not sure if I want to work in communications forever due to pay (I know that one should think about what they love and not just money but I can't help it?) and business sounds like a good option.

However, for the Public Communication degree at UTS, I'm considering combining it with Law (if I even get the ATAR for it) as a back up too although I'm not crazy interested in pursuing law. I would love to go to UTS for the degree but I'm worried that I will change my mind about public relations and it would be so much simpler if they offered it with Fashion or Interior design.. Even a Business degree.

Taking it back to USYD, I've put that as my first choice because it allows me to test out different parts of Communications and see what I really enjoy. However, like UTS, I wish it was offered with Commerce. Yeah I feel so indecisive. Sorry for bombarding you all with so many random thouguts of mine!

If anyone does any of these courses, please let me know how they are!
Could you please let me know if you enjoy it, are the lecture rooms filled with people, are the lecturers friendly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
bro u have ur own thread to make shitty jokes

this is the part of the site you're supposed to be *helpful* lol

as for OP, i am not familiar with any form of communications degree exactly but i feel as if the Usyd option has that advantage of giving you options as to the different fields you can go into via a Communications degree, have u looked into if other degrees have the same opportunity to test out different areas or is this Usyd exclusive?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

as for OP, i am not familiar with any form of communications degree exactly but i feel as if the Usyd option has that advantage of giving you options as to the different fields you can go into via a Communications degree, have u looked into if other degrees have the same opportunity to test out different areas or is this Usyd exclusive?
you actually have to know something to be helpful though

And this is actually a disadvantage so far as a Communications degree goes as it means you are in a "jack of all trades, master of none" type situation which makes it exceedingly difficult to get a job in an industry that's arguably more competitive than other fields like Business and Law. Also, even though the degrees you choose at UNSW/UTS are your majors, you will still be doing core subjects across the Communications stream so you will get some insight into the other areas as well.

My best bet for OP would be to go with the UNSW Commerce/Media double since I think the degrees complement each other quite well (especially if you would be going into Marketing or HR/PR). Also, Law being equally exceedingly difficult to get a job in and generally a difficult degree if you are not interested in it or pursuing it as a career, you wouldn't last very long in it or do very well in it either, not to mention the barren wasteland that is the legal industry in terms of jobs at the moment. Commerce is always going to be a great back up degree over any others because you will be qualified for a lot of jobs, however, you will also need to set yourself apart from the common rabble as it's a generalist degree and quite overdone.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Need some help guys.

For USYD, if someone wanted to do Commerce/communications would they just do B Commerce/Arts and select communications as a major? Not too sure how it works as UNSW has the dedicated Commerce/PR degree. Also, from my knowledge UTS doesn't have the option of completing communications with B Business, is this the case?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Need some help guys.

For USYD, if someone wanted to do Commerce/communications would they just do B Commerce/Arts and select communications as a major? Not too sure how it works as UNSW has the dedicated Commerce/PR degree. Also, from my knowledge UTS doesn't have the option of completing communications with B Business, is this the case?
I'm not too familiar with the Communications side of things myself since I only briefly had an interest in doing the degree in Year 12, but from memory all of the things you have said is correct.

asalvatore

HSC

I've only looked at usyd, unsw and uts because those are the only three universities I'm interested in and they're the only universities I've checked. From my view it seems as though usyd has the broadest course. I really don't mind but I just want to get into any of those 3 universities.

asalvatore

HSC
you actually have to know something to be helpful though

And this is actually a disadvantage so far as a Communications degree goes as it means you are in a "jack of all trades, master of none" type situation which makes it exceedingly difficult to get a job in an industry that's arguably more competitive than other fields like Business and Law. Also, even though the degrees you choose at UNSW/UTS are your majors, you will still be doing core subjects across the Communications stream so you will get some insight into the other areas as well.

My best bet for OP would be to go with the UNSW Commerce/Media double since I think the degrees complement each other quite well (especially if you would be going into Marketing or HR/PR). Also, Law being equally exceedingly difficult to get a job in and generally a difficult degree if you are not interested in it or pursuing it as a career, you wouldn't last very long in it or do very well in it either, not to mention the barren wasteland that is the legal industry in terms of jobs at the moment. Commerce is always going to be a great back up degree over any others because you will be qualified for a lot of jobs, however, you will also need to set yourself apart from the common rabble as it's a generalist degree and quite overdone.
That was actually really helpful and I've been thinking the same because I know that to work in communications, experience is key. So I would have to seek internships etc during! Although I don't know how or if the degree for Media is good at UNSW so I'm still contemplating.

asalvatore

HSC
Need some help guys.

Yes! I would love to know the same thing. If I did Arts/Commerce, would I be able to major in media communications?

simplyinsanity

HSC
Iirc, at USYD you can only choose the communications subjects if you are doing B Arts (Media & Comms).

Hi OP, I'm doing the Pub Comm/Law double at UTS. Yes, I am really enjoying the course so far. There are quite a lot of people (200+) for each lecture but I've never found that to be a problem because people would normally chill/find friends outside before going in. Most of my lecturers have been good.

However, if you are not actually interested in law, I would recommend against combining with law as it would make you lose electives and your communications sub major. You might be able to take a few business electives instead.

Feel free to message me if you want any more information :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Iirc, at USYD you can only choose the communications subjects if you are doing B Arts (Media & Comms).

Hi OP, I'm doing the Pub Comm/Law double at UTS. Yes, I am really enjoying the course so far. There are quite a lot of people (200+) for each lecture but I've never found that to be a problem because people would normally chill/find friends outside before going in. Most of my lecturers have been good.

However, if you are not actually interested in law, I would recommend against combining with law as it would make you lose electives and your communications sub major. You might be able to take a few business electives instead.

Feel free to message me if you want any more information :)
This would be an issue because i don't think there is the option to do Commerce/ B Arts (Media & Comms) according to the website.

http://sydney.edu.au/courses/study_area/arts-humanities-and-media-studies

waterlml

HSC
says who, more than half of the grads are in full time employment afterwards

where did you get this can you give me the link? i want to search about my course too haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)