Exam Stress (1 Viewer)

HSC
Everyone can remember the stress that was placed on us for the HSC, and how so many people told us that it is the most important exam that we will do. Like most of you, the HSC caused almost sleepless nights, weeks of worrying, and huge side effects from stress.

I dont know about you, but after the HSC I thought to myself 'thank god that is over and I will never have to go through it again'. Well, here we all are - 9months later and sitting for our first set of Uni Finals. Having already sat for 2 exams, and my final exam starting tomorrow morning, I can tell you the pressure is all the same again, if not worse.

Its only my first year of Uni, and I have the most painful stress-induced ulcers. Is it the workload? The financial cost of failing an exam? The time cost of failing an exam? Or is it just that you will feel stupid for failing a first year exam?

I thought that first year would be a breeze, no need to study, no need to 'learn'. But after this last half of session I am beginning to ask myself - How hard is it going to be? Is it really worth it?

I can understand now why so many people drop out of uni. 3-5 years, 6-10 semesters all filled with 'HSC-style stress'. I am 99% sure that I will not drop out, but at the end of this, I cant wait never have to undergo any more exam-style stress.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ditto.
all the stress everyone else suffered during the HSC, i missed out on coz I just didnt care...now I'm getting it tenfold compared to anyone else.
however, in the words of my biology demonstrator "most people go through uni failing at least one course", so I guess its no biggie.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Stress is an everyday thing that you'll have to get used to due to exams, assignments that are due, group presentation problems not to mention stuff outside uni... but it's perfectly ok to fail an exam but it's not recommended that you make a habit of it. First year uni is like the step from primary school to high school, or the step from Yr 10 to Yr 11, it's a big stress because it's an unknown quantity and you have to adjust.... just get through the first couple of semesters and you'll find things get a heck of a lot easier because you start to know the system and whats expected and have accurate estimations on how much work you'll need to put in to get that magical 50+ mark.

Just hold your head up, battle on with it all, finish your exams for this semester and go to the unibar and do what a lot of us do, have a big night with friends who have gone through the same thing and get ready to make the most of that 3 week break before that next semester.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
The financial cost of failing an exam? The time cost of failing an exam? Or is it just that you will feel stupid for failing a first year exam?
everything in life has opportunity costs (or so we are told in economics)

but yeah, i'm sure when we join the workforce there will be consistent periods of "HSC-stress" trying to meet project deadlines, budgets and requirements...

stress is a part of life - whether you control stress or stress controls you is the distinction.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm actually quite stress free for this. I'm kinda screwed for a few subjects, but for some reason the care factor for these exams compared to HSC are negligable.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mm..as frigid said
stress will be with us for our whole lives...it will be even worse after uni, in the workforce...where failure could cost you your job
so think of it that way

Ninga

HSC
Im stressed right now. Who the hell puts radiotherapy physics and quantum mechanics on the same day!? At least in about 15 hours i'll be finished with exams for this session :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bah to the exams, it is the end of semester assessment load that gets your stomach churning!

Ribbon

Originally posted by Ninga
Im stressed right now. Who the hell puts radiotherapy physics and quantum mechanics on the same day!? At least in about 15 hours i'll be finished with exams for this session :)
holy crap if I had subjects with names like that I would be stressing too!

Overall I am not too stressed because at this stage I don't really care what kindof marks I get so long as I pass. I am probably studying more at this stage than I did in the stuvac before the hsc because I spent the whole of yr 12 studying and have done minimal work this sesmester (and I want to make sure I will pass!).

Based on mid semester exams and other assessments, I think they are pretty nice to us first years here and unless you really screw up (like don't show up to the exam) they won't fail you...

touch wood!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I can't take reading anymore! I just keep reading, and reading, and reading:(. The next 2.5 years is going to be tough:(.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my commiserations everyone. we're all feeling exam-stressed. :|

fuck cramming me going to bed!

Leap

free falling
HSC
I'm so worried about Biochemistry! Its worth 80%
:eek:

I hate exams, I thought I wouldn't have to be stressed after the HSC, but its actually even worse. :(

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
My ratio of HSC stress to current stress is around 100:1, because I didn't care at all last year and did no work (and hence my 67 UAI:lol:!). By the way, I have four exams in four days next week:(.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Leap
I'm so worried about Biochemistry! Its worth 80%
:eek:
wtf? what did you do the whole session with the other 20%? What a bludge :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
God, I thought psych and bio were bad at 60% each!!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i am the complete opposite
i worked pretty hard during the HSC and now i feel very indifferent about uni
i don't know how much my exams count and since i haven't been to a lecture for 2 weeks i'm not sure what's in them too.
the thing is i actually enjoyed working during the HSC, and i don't find uni work difficult. i'm just slowly drowning in apathy.

i think because uni can be so cruisey it's easy to spend more time focusing on your problems outside uni and that fucks everything over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)