I hate my course :( What are my options? (1 Viewer)

Feeva

HSC
Hi all, I'm currently a 1st year student at UNSW studying Economics, and it may be finals pressure but I'm pretty sure I hate Economics :(

In general I dislike maths, I did 2 unit in high school, and I'm positive I'm going to fail ECON 1203 (statistics) and ECON 1202 (quantitative). It is 100% my fault for not preparing properly, but now that it's too late, it's made me stop and think "why am I doing this course when I hate it?"

I thought economics would be like highschool, but it's the complete opposite! My friends have told me to transfer to commerce but I don't think that's possible with my 88 atar and 65 wam. My wam will definitely drop after econ 1203 and 1202...

From all the courses available at UNSW, I find the best option to be Commerce (mix between career prospects and interest in management/marketing side)... but because I've disliked and neglected my economics subjects, I probably won't be able to transfer. What are my options?

Thank you in advance :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hi all, I'm currently a 1st year student at UNSW studying Economics, and it may be finals pressure but I'm pretty sure I hate Economics :(

In general I dislike maths, I did 2 unit in high school, and I'm positive I'm going to fail ECON 1203 (statistics) and ECON 1202 (quantitative). It is 100% my fault for not preparing properly, but now that it's too late, it's made me stop and think "why am I doing this course when I hate it?"

I thought economics would be like highschool, but it's the complete opposite! My friends have told me to transfer to commerce but I don't think that's possible with my 88 atar and 65 wam. My wam will definitely drop after econ 1203 and 1202...

From all the courses available at UNSW, I find the best option to be Commerce (mix between career prospects and interest in management/marketing side)... but because I've disliked and neglected my economics subjects, I probably won't be able to transfer. What are my options?

Thank you in advance :)
Transfer to another university like UTS - do commerce there and achieve a mid credit average, and transfer back to UNSW after a year if you really want to stay at UNSW.

External transfer are actually easier then internal for some reason

Feeva

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

Umm I did some quick research and it seems UTS Business is the equivalent of Commerce?
It says main round applications close midnight Fri 4 Dec 2015 so I'm kinda panicking @_@

I don't really know how the procedures work, but transferring to UTS and back sounds like a good idea? Especially since I'm stuck with my wam at UNSW... are there any reasons why this could be potentially bad? Or are there any better options? (Just to make sure )

Silly Sausage

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

Umm I did some quick research and it seems UTS Business is the equivalent of Commerce?
It says main round applications close midnight Fri 4 Dec 2015 so I'm kinda panicking @_@

I don't really know how the procedures work, but transferring to UTS and back sounds like a good idea? Especially since I'm stuck with my wam at UNSW... are there any reasons why this could be potentially bad? Or are there any better options? (Just to make sure )
If you transfer back to UNSW you'll still be stuck with your results in the academic transcript.

itoki2288

HSC
N/A
Literally, just go study because that's the only thing that's going to help you now.

You can think about transferring after this semester but for now you should just try hard and study (y)

Also you maintain your wam at your university so transferring somewhere else and back doesn't wipe your wam. It stays on your transcript and will come into play when you come back to UNSW. So don't transfer if you're going to come back anyway..

Last edited:

Chronost

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

As others said - your academic transcript will stay, but at the very least you'll be able to do commerce at unsw if you want to do it that bad.

Transfers occur through UAC - they will have most of your information from HSC, you just fill a few things out and pay like a $80-90 fee and they'll release main round offers same time as HSC people.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
If you don't like Economics and want to do Commerce, transferring to UTS Business is a no brainer. UTS's bachelor of business and UNSW's bachelor of commerce are synonymous courses. I did a year of UTS business and honestly, they do a great job over there in UTS. I would advise you to transfer to UTS business, start fresh in B Business, and go into your Marketing/Management side that you yearn for. Don't worry about your WAM/GPA, as I think you should gain entry to UTS Bus as a result of your ATAR (I think..).

Also, worrying about universities in the commerce field (especially the management/marketing side) is quite irrelevant. It won't make much of a difference at all, if any.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
None of the university courses are like high school subjects, when will students learn.
That's kinda hard to know when teachers be like "it gives you a taste of x course at uni". Naturally if you enjoyed that sub you would expect yourself to like the course you're going to study? Idek

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
That's kinda hard to know when teachers be like "it gives you a taste of x course at uni". Naturally if you enjoyed that sub you would expect yourself to like the course you're going to study? Idek
not really lel

legal studies ≠ law
engineering studies ≠ engineering

you should look at the degree you want to do and read the subject outlines for what they are about. For example: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2016/PHYS1121.html is about mechanics/thermal/waves and nothing like high school physics

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

You know why they say that

because they haven't done it

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Unless a subject is assumed knowledge for the course, don't expect it to be anything like it.

Chronost

HSC

Well it is a taste, that's all it is really. HSC covers little overall content that is similar to one unit at uni if it ever is similar - a lot more research needs to be made when choosing a course though, you can easily see what kind of content the course has through looking online at the course outline and the prescribed books (where some are downloadable free).

Specifically for this case OP should've researched a lot more before deciding, If you go deep enough into BoS or whirlpool , lots of users mention how different economics is at uni compared to HSC

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
OP, as others have said, best option is probably to transfer out to UTS. Besides travel, I see no reason to be trying to transfer back into unsw for commerce. I say this mainly because university is not easy. If you're struggling with first year units, there is an issue. It obviously doesn't come across well to employers either. So the best tactical decision you would take now is to move to uts Business (which is exactly b.comm) and stay there so your wam resets as if unsw first year never happened.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
not really lel

legal studies ≠ law
engineering studies ≠ engineering

I think I have pointed that out somewhere before on another thread.

@op's dilemma is also a sad case of students not having an adequate maths background in school and are finding certain uni courses difficult because of the maths required. A warning for those doing only Maths General or only 2 Unit Mathematics.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
I think I have pointed that out somewhere before on another thread.

@op's dilemma is also a sad case of students not having an adequate maths background in school and are finding certain uni courses difficult because of the maths required. A warning for those doing only Maths General or only 2 Unit Mathematics.
Stop being a fear mongerer. For Commerce/Economics, General Math is adequate and 2 Unit Math is more than enough. Besides, many people have done 2 unit and have done well in Engineering (although they're usually band 6s).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Stop being a fear mongerer. For Commerce/Economics, General Math is adequate and 2 Unit Math is more than enough. Besides, many people have done 2 unit and have done well in Engineering (although they're usually band 6s).
Which university?

2U Maths adequate for Engineering? Which uni/which course? Are you yourself, by any chance, a living proof?

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Wut. "Many"? No. "Few"? More likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)