Can Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Arts: Master of Secondary Teaching give insight! (1 Viewer)

SawadaTsunayoshi

HSC
N/A
Long story short, my ATAR wasn't anything exceptional. Fooled around Year 12 too much and didn't study. Now I've been offered an early offer from UWS and my chosen course was Bachelor of Arts, an innocent mistake as I had intended to choose Bachelor of Arts: Master of Secondary Education. I have no idea what to do now as my ATAR only gives me limited options. If I settle for this course, what kind of job prospects am I looking at? I want to be a high school teacher. It's unlikely that other Universities will be contacting me and accepting me as my ATAR is pretty bad. I don't mind UWS, but I want to get a better understanding of what Bachelor of Arts can get me into and how would I go about transferring to Master of Secondary Teaching and any could you please tell me if it costs money to transfer and everything I need to do along with transferring.

SawadaTsunayoshi

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by masters? Is BA and BA:Master of Secondary teaching the same course? Sorry if I sound stupid, i'm completely oblivious to how these sort of courses work.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
What do you mean by masters? Is BA and BA:Master of Secondary teaching the same course? Sorry if I sound stupid, i'm completely oblivious to how these sort of courses work.
You can do a masters in teaching after you finish your BA and it is the same thing

SawadaTsunayoshi

HSC
N/A
Will this somehow take longer than doing the BA: Master of Secondary Teaching initially as opposed to sitting the BA and then doing a Masters degree?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The combined BA/Masters in Secondary Teaching is 3 yrs full time

if you do them separately it's 3 yrs BA + 2 yrs Masters (or you can accelerate masters into 1.5 yrs)

Essentially either path will get you the same outcome

SawadaTsunayoshi

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply! Would you happen to know the cost affiliated with the BA + Masters course? Really appreciate the help!

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Hi OP! I want to be an eng/his teacher and was originally going to do the UWS B Arts: M Secondary Teaching but after doing heapsss of research I discovered that the only difference between doing that, and doing a regular B Arts and then doing a Masters of Secondary Teaching postgrad like queen just suggested, is just that you need to do a required submajor (so 4 units) called Educational Studies. For me, I didn't want this because I want to do History as a submajor so I want the rest of my units left open for electives so I just enrolled in a regular Bachelor of Arts and upon my completion of that in 3 years I will apply for a Masters of Secondary Teaching which is 2 years or (again, as queen said) can be accelerated into 1.5 years.

Either way, you're doing the exact same units (bar the 4 that you skip if you apply for the courses separately like me) in the exact same time for the exact same cost and will exit university with the exact same degree - a Bachelor of Arts with a Masters of Sec Teaching :)

Hope that makes sense? It gets a bit confusing so just ask if there's anything else :) I have spent a LOT of time researching all this stuff haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)