USyd Com or UNSW Law (1 Viewer)

lilypad3

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I was wondering what everyone thinks is a better path to pursue: USyd Commerce or UNSW Law. Both would be combined degrees. There are a lot of variables between the two options but I've whittled my options down to these two pathways and am unsure how to make the final decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lilypad3

HSC
N/A
No idea man. I don't think that, at this point in my life, I would ever have a realistic vision of my future aha. On average, it is predicted that the average 2015 Graduate will change CAREERS seven times in their life.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you just do a combined degree of commerce/law at either uni?

lilypad3

HSC
N/A
There's another degree I want to do, whichever of these I pick. These options are the last variables in my decision atm.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
There's another degree I want to do, whichever of these I pick. These options are the last variables in my decision atm.
If you change your mind you can always transfer, so just go with com since it is much easier than law.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Do straight commerce at either uni - in your case, usyd because it will give you more time to think about what you actually want to do. And you're right, picking careers as a 17 yo is the most fucked up thing that exists.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Do straight commerce at either uni - in your case, usyd because it will give you more time to think about what you actually want to do. And you're right, picking careers as a 17 yo is the most fucked up thing that exists.
OP wants to do X degree, regardless of whether they choose Commerce or Law with it as a dual degree.

lilypad3

HSC
N/A
What would that degree be?
Science :)

I know they both seem like weird combos, but I'm set on the science part of the double degree and I would ask that you don't attack that in any case because that's not where my decision lies at the moment.

Do straight commerce at either uni
Why would you advise just straight commerce? I always saw more of an advantage in doing a double degree in any case.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Science :)

I know they both seem like weird combos, but I'm set on the science part of the double degree and I would ask that you don't attack that in any case because that's not where my decision lies at the moment.
Depends on your science major.

Commerce (Marketing)/Science (Psychology), Commerce (HR)/Science (Psychology), Commerce (Finance)/Science (Advanced Maths) are some of the typical combinations.

It also really depends on your interests.

Commerce/Science is 4 years, while Science/Law is 5 years. Law has slightly more contact hours (4 hours per subject as opposed to 3 hours per subject for Commerce) and the workload is arguably much heavier too.

A question to ask yourself is: if, for some reason, you don't want to pursue a career in a science-related field, which would you rather pursue - commerce or law?

If you have zero intention of practising law (like to the point where you are not even considering it), I think you should just go into Comm/Sci. If you think you might possibly end up in law practice, then Sci/Law is obviously a good choice.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I know plenty of people doing science/law at usyd. Not a weird combo- its an awesome combination.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I know plenty of people doing science/law at usyd. Not a weird combo- its an awesome combination.
I second this, I currently study science/law majoring in chemistry in UNSW-it is awesome, besides the fact it is a lot more contact hours and hence a lot less flexibility in terms of finding internship to fit the hours, I really like both sides of my degree, both critical and analytical thinking desires gets satisfied at the same time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)