Can I still get into a course that's my 2nd preference in Main Round? (1 Viewer)

hazelpug

HSC
I've changed my mind and I really want to get into my second UAC preference which is a course at UNSW (which I have guaranteed entry to), but since we can't change preferences anymore would I still be able to make it in, in the Main Round? My first preference has an ATAR cut off slightly above my ATAR, so if I dont make it in, will I get an offer for my second preference?

And if I don't get the offer what are the chances of me getting an offer to my second preference course in the later rounds?

jackleung34

HSC
MY UNDERSTANDING:

So how the UNSW guaranteed entry system works is you will always get an offer if it is your highest ELIGIBLE preference. So let's say you received like a 94 ATAR (including hypothetical bonus points in this hypothetical situation lmao) and you're applying for BEco at UNSW(guaranteed entry) but also want to try your luck at BComm at USYD due to the chance of a change in lower ATAR this year. As such you put first pref as BComm @ USYD and second BEco @ UNSW and whatever etc etc. Three outcomes can occur:

1) BComm at USYD is lowered to 94. In this case you would get an offer into BComm at USYD but not your guaranteed entry into BEco because you can only receive 1 offer every round. Congratulations on BComm @ USYD!
2)BComm remains above 94. In this case you should be fine to get into BEco as it is your highest ELIGIBLE preference(obviously because your ATAR didnt make the cutoff for BComm @ USYD) in which case you're golden and you would receive an offer due to your guaranteed entry! bloody legend!

As for your second question, i think what you mean is scenario three where you are offered a place at BComm @ USYD but still want to go to BEco @ UNSW. In this case, you fucked it mate, because BEco is extremely competitive and usually dont have vacancies after main round. In which case congratulation again on admissions into BComm @ USYD!(To repeat, you are not given more than 1 offer, if you make it to BComm @ USYD you wont get an offer into BEco @ UNSW even if you have guaranteed entry) In which case admissions into BEco @ UNSW becomes impossible due to lack of vacancy after main round.

Ultimately this was obviously a hypothetical situation and would depend on your exact course choices. This is just my understanding of how the system works through contacting UNSW enquiry hotline, emailing etc etc if someone knows something that i fucked up then correct me lmao.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Uac gives you your highest eligible preference.

It will give you number 1 if you make the cutoff specified. If the cutoff for course 1 does not change from last year, then you won't make it, and uac will try to give you #2. You already know you are eligible for number 2 because of the UNSW system.

hazelpug

HSC
Thanks so much for the reply, it really made me understand how the whole thing works. Basically I'm fucked if my ATAR is high enough for my first preference... But my second course is from what I understand isn't too competitive and has an ATAR cut off of 83, whilst my first preference has an ATAR of 92 and even though my ATAR is slightly below that I'm going to get SRS (so basically extra bonus points).

Do you know if there's a way to cancel my School Recommendation Scheme application so that I don't get the bonus points. I might try and call them up or something.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Accept whatever offer you get in main round. Change your prefs for late round. If you get that course, then withdraw from the first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)