undergraduate vet course (1 Viewer)

skywalker13

HSC
I have offers from UQ and USYD for Veterinary science (5yrs) and BACHELOR OF VETERINARY BIOLOGY/DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE (6yrs). Any suggestion on hich one should I go for? thx

HSC
I have offers from UQ and USYD for Veterinary science (5yrs) and BACHELOR OF VETERINARY BIOLOGY/DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE (6yrs). Any suggestion on hich one should I go for? thx
First off, congratulations! Some things to think about... Where will you live? If you have to move interstate, will you live in a share house or college? College is very expensive so that is something to keep in mind. Also you need to think about how you will cope with a move interstate, you will most likely not have the same support system you have at home and it may take time to make friends esp. if you don't live at a college so make sure you get involved in clubs/sport teams around the uni. Moving interstate is a challenge and it's not for everyone.

Whichever uni you choose you will graduate and be able to practice as a vet. However, the DVM is more widely known overseas, whereas not everyone will know what a BVSc is at a glance. Also the DVM is a masters level degree, doesn't change much but you get 2 degrees at the end.

waikosan

HSC
Most of the Vets that I know graduated from usyd including overseas. I think usyd is the way to go!

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Both UQ and USyd are AVMA accredited ie. can work in the United States. Both are also accredited in the United Kingdom.
US degrees are often DVM's. UK degrees have many Bachelor degrees for vets. However, accreditation is what you need to work.
Where you live/accommodation costs probably play a big part in the choice as mentioned above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)