How is university different to high school? (1 Viewer)

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Basically all 2nd year+ uni students (or graduates!) please list all of the things

:)

P.S. It would be kindly appreciated if you could tell me what your opinion on eating in lectures is (i.e. fine, rude, inconsiderate, only if you're quiet, etc.). Thank you!

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
12 minute bump because this is a really good thread.

Oh well, 1 minute...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the lecture time/amount of people in the lecture/how cramped(squished) the conditions are whether I'd be fine with people eating in the lecture.

Food doesn't smell much/you don't make much of a noise is fine especially near meal times. But ideally the lecture would have enough space for the person to move to a different part of the lecture hall/move seats if you eating annoyed them.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have to leave, then it is polite to do it in the break (if the lecture is long and the lecturer has a break) rather then in the middle otherwise it is rude to the lecturer.

Under no circumstance in a lecture hall ask to be excused to use the bathroom ;)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically all 2nd year+ uni students (or graduates!) please list all of the things

:)

P.S. It would be kindly appreciated if you could tell me what your opinion on eating in lectures is (i.e. fine, rude, inconsiderate, only if you're quiet, etc.). Thank you!
Eating .... small snacks are good but just don't make lots of noise and bring pungent food..

Fruit is okay.

Large noisy maccas or anything = no no.

Chips = no no.

Egg sandwich = no no .

Curry = no no .

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Guys thanks heaps with the food thing but feel free to answer my actual question hahahaha

I'm picking my shit tomorrow and I've decided to just make sure I have a gap in my day around 12 so I should be fine save for the occasional sneaky-snack-for-breakfast-because-I'm-late

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Eat whatever you want at the back of the theater

I occasionally went to lectures so dont be a fkn shitcunt and talk over the lecturer

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
All my lectures were recorded so if I desired I only needed to get out of bed for compulsory tutorials.

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, I found uni to be pretty similar to High School, except obviously uni is harder and has higher content. To be honest, people go on and on about how much harder uni is than HS like it's some kind of surprise. I mean, what do people expect? Uni is tertiary education, it wouldn't make sense if it were equal to or easier than HS. Success in HS, uni and even the workplace is all about your soft skills and a lot less about your hard skills. True, HS probably isnt going to give you much in the way of hard skills for uni, because the level is totally different. But things like organisational skills, discipline and good study habits/methods all crossover. If you have mastered the soft skills, then you should be fine. If you've cruised through HS without developing any, then it will be hard.

That being said, I found uni much easier than HS simply because there was way less pressure. You have much more of a life in uni and there isnt as much pressure to perform as there is with the HSC.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
If you have to leave, then it is polite to do it in the break (if the lecture is long and the lecturer has a break) rather then in the middle otherwise it is rude to the lecturer.
I left whenever I felt like - at $1500 a unit, quite frankly I could care less about the lecturers feelings.

D94

HSC
N/A
12 minute bump because this is a really good thread.

Oh well, 1 minute...
Just on this:
Is anyone going to "How is Studying at Uni Different to High School?"
Since you already know what studying at high school is like, I'll attempt to explain my experience of studying at university.

At the start of semester, we are aware of the Course Outline, which dictates what is to be covered in the semester, how many assessments/assignments, the weightings and outcomes. It gives us an indication of what is to come. During lectures, if there are lecture notes and/or recordings, I tend to listen to it instead of writing copious notes. But some lecturers don't give out notes, so it's endless writing throughout the lecture.

We are also aware of tutorial questions that should be completed each week. As I do engineering, it's probably different to say commerce. We try to find 'course packs/notes' from previous years, which usually contains work solutions to tutorial questions or textbook questions. I would usually look at an exemplar question and solution, understand the concept from that, then attempt the tutorial questions or textbook questions. Any issues, I would then ask the tutor. We don't have to complete every question - no one will be bothered to chase you up on it. But the tutorial is where you ask specific questions about questions that you are having issues with. Some tutorials might be structured differently, so your lecturer might have specific times when they are available to assist.

When it comes to assignments, generally we can work together with friends (well it's more like my friends asking me for my assignment...) to complete it or at least collaborate our answer and compare what values we get. In later years, there are less individual assignments and more group work assignments, so that's obviously different - we have to work together. But even then, groups will work with groups because the same principle applies - we want to collaborate to ensure we are heading in the right direction.

I guess there is a bit of 'game theory' involved - we want to work together to ensure our results align and therefore get 100% (hopefully), but we also know that our marks might be scaled and we do want to do better than everyone. It's probably better to work together in my experience, as individually, even a good looking solution could be incorrect and only when you ask your friends and peers, do you realise how to correctly answer those questions. Some tutors and some lecturers might not be that good, so the onus is on you to study the content independently (which is unfortunate, but that might be the reality).

Assessments and the final exam shouldn't be treated exceptionally differently to the ones in high school. You are told what will be covered, so doing questions and past papers is generally the best approach.

There's probably a lot of similarities between high school and university in how you study, but the directive to study comes from yourself.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys :)

Is it common to skip lectures? And does anyone happen to know if WSU even puts them online
Skipping is common lol

In some classes after a few weeks, it is literally half empty.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I left whenever I felt like - at $1500 a unit, quite frankly I could care less about the lecturers feelings.
I'm not a fan of people loudly leaving just before either as its quite distracting too.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Why do people skip lectures?
Because sometimes it is just a lecturer reading out the lecture slides, and that is fairly boring.

They can't understand the accent of the lecturer.

They sleep in, or put lectures on one day of the week, and don't want to come in that day.

Lectures can be full of pretty irrelevant information

May be either to study at home

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys :)

Is it common to skip lectures? And does anyone happen to know if WSU even puts them online
Someone I know doing music teaching?? (Might've been just music but I can't remember) didn't have their lectures recorded so it may vary by unit.

And yes, it is very common to skip lectures, especially the ones that are scheduled "early".

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Because sometimes it is just a lecturer reading out the lecture slides, and that is fairly boring.

They can't understand the accent of the lecturer.

They sleep in, or put lectures on one day of the week, and don't want to come in that day.

Lectures can be full of pretty irrelevant information

May be either to study at home
So it's not like you're missing out on anything from skipping lectures? You just read the book you're told to buy and study from that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)