Arts (Media and Communications) or Commerce at USYD? (1 Viewer)

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
I'm currently enrolled in media and communications at Sydney. I was initially enrolled in arts in 2015, but applied for transfer for both media & communications and commerce. I received the media and communications offer first, and thus accepted the offer and enrolled.

However, I recently got an offer for commerce, and while I did accept the offer, I haven't enrolled yet as it requires me to discontinue my media course.

I've always wanted to do media ever since I completed my HSC. I hope to become a filmmaker one day and media is perfect as it teaches me practical video skills, whilst simultaneously learning about film theory. But I this is what I intend to do with my media degree - I don't have any backups (I have thought about journalism, but I highly doubt I'd pursue this). Also, a lot of people say media degrees are useless, is this true?

I did grow an interest in business in 2015. I was thinking of majoring in finance for commerce, but I'm really bad at math (I dropped general maths in year 11). However, I was wondering if I got a tutor for maths, they'd be able to help me with the math part. And plus, I didn't enjoy business studies during my HSC.

It's also important to note that I plan to transfer to law in 2017 and I think my media degree will make it easier for me. Additionally, first year commerce units at USYD are notoriously difficult and the math on top of this will make it even harder for me to grasp the content, but maybe a tutor could help me with this, as I mentioned previously.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Well by hearing what you have to say it seems like you have an unrelenting passion towards media. I'd say pick Media because - You find it more interesting as you are more passionate about it than business, AND you feel it will be easier to transfer into Law in 2017. So tbh I'd say go for Media!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)