SMH article on HECS vs upfront (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Totally agree, as much as it pains me to think of the money I wasted on uni, something I dont regret is doing HECS. I never saw the benefit of paying up front and looking at the amount deducted weekly from my paycheck, it is literally a small price to pay.

pHyRe

HSC
plus if you leave the country, no more debt.

and dont bring up the gvmts supposed attempts to get 50 countries around the world to give them info regarding australian's income and then legally enforce they pay australias debt for them

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm so thankful for being eligible for HECS this year.

I can finally save my money towards something other than tuition fees!

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
But if you're not a scumbag, you'd actually pay the debt off yourself either before leaving or while working overseas.

D94

HSC
N/A

and dont bring up the gvmts supposed attempts to get 50 countries around the world to give them info regarding australian's income and then legally enforce they pay australias debt for them
That's only if you leave permanently. If you are still an Australian citizen, then even if you work overseas, you must repay as if you were living in Australia.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/Overseas-repayments/

Flop21

HSC
Totally agree, as much as it pains me to think of the money I wasted on uni, something I dont regret is doing HECS. I never saw the benefit of paying up front and looking at the amount deducted weekly from my paycheck, it is literally a small price to pay.
How much is it deducted from your paycheck roughly?

I'm going to take up HECS instead of paying upfront even though I have the money to pay upfront (or a large chunk of it). But now I'm just a bit confused with what to do with this uni money. Should I just leave it aside in case I want to pay off straight away one day?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm going to take up HECS instead of paying upfront even though I have the money to pay upfront (or a large chunk of it). But now I'm just a bit confused with what to do with this uni money. Should I just leave it aside in case I want to pay off straight away one day?
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/stu...ages/loan-repayment#HowMuchWillMyRepaymentsBe

~4% of your income if you earn between 54 and 60K in income.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

If you can't get a better return then 4% then it may well be worth paying of the debt now.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
When you do the calculations, as long as the interest rate you get by putting money in the bank sufficiently exceeds the indexing interest rate then you're better off deferring to HECS than getting the 10% discount when considering opportunity costs (might be a slightly different story if the discount was 20% like it was back when I started). Assuming your income grows substantially every year through career progressions, the HECS debt should be wiped off in about 10 years or so with compulsory repayments only.

However, this assumes that there will be no significant reforms to that HECS scheme for the duration of the debt. The federal government's now failed proposal a while back to change the indexation on all existing debts to the government bond rate rather than inflation was a bit of a scare because the government bond rate is generally closer to the interest rate your bank offers than the inflation rate, thereby reducing that benefit in deferring. Hopefully the HECS scheme won't change dramatically in the near future.

Flop21

HSC
Discount is being dropped 2017 I believe. And don't think it's as much as 10%, thought it was 5% from memory. So this year's fees would be discounted I guess? But I haven't finished my degree so not even sure if you'd get one then.

pHyRe

HSC
But if you're not a scumbag, you'd actually pay the debt off yourself either before leaving or while working overseas.
haha i guess so, but the pollies had free uni when they were there, same with a lot of europe now so i'm just getting a free education if i do that.

That's only if you leave permanently. If you are still an Australian citizen, then even if you work overseas, you must repay as if you were living in Australia.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/Overseas-repayments/
yup of course. cant earn over 55-60k in australia

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Discount is being dropped 2017 I believe. And don't think it's as much as 10%, thought it was 5% from memory. So this year's fees would be discounted I guess? But I haven't finished my degree so not even sure if you'd get one then.
This year is the last year for the 10% discount on upfront payments.

*sigh* only just become eligible, gonna be paying it back almost right away -.-"

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
10% if you pay it back now

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

you use that money to pay for your uni rent basically

pHyRe

HSC

could invest in an ETF on the ASX (very diversified), a term deposit (very poor returns currently) or ask your parents if you can pay off their mortage and receive say 1% less than their interest rate. If you have enough maybe even one of those new peer to peer lenders. But youd probably need your parents to help you out with that i think they only accept legit investors.

HSC
N/A
Thanks for this link. As it`s the last discount year its tempting to try and pay up, but as writer states, I`m better off paying existing debts that incur proper interest % !!! Vote Bernie Sanders for PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)