Uni vs HSC (1 Viewer)

Yeungster

HSC
In terms of studying method and intensity how does uni study fare with HSC. Is it similar in the sense you just need to know the content, notes, do excercises and past papers to succeed (a formula) in HSC or is it something else with a different pattern? I'm a first year student so don't what workload to expect. Is there a Uni version of BOS where you can get notes from that you know of? Is the workload to get HD comparable to someone getting 99 atar or nah?:guitar:

p.s I would really appreciate any notes from law subjects: foundations of law, Ethics Law and Justice , Criminal Law and Procedure xD:cake:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
To answer your question OP, uni is really different. The reason you're in uni is because you completed your HSC and got into the course, so they have an expectation of you to work at a higher level. It's definitely not going to be a walk in the park.
In uni there's no real set syllabus to follow so you basically have to study everything you are presented with. Workload is definitely higher, think about completing 4 HSC subjects in 2-3 months, best way I can describe it.

To get a HD you need to definitely be on top of things starting from week 1 and not cram any of your assessments. It's possible for what you're studying because I've seen it done, by Bosers here for example ROT.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of studying method and intensity how does uni study fare with HSC. Is it similar in the sense you just need to know the content, notes, do excercises and past papers to succeed (a formula) in HSC or is it something else with a different pattern? I'm a first year student so don't what workload to expect. Is there a Uni version of BOS where you can get notes from that you know of? Is the workload to get HD comparable to someone getting 99 atar or nah?:guitar:

p.s I would really appreciate any notes from law subjects: foundations of law, Ethics Law and Justice , Criminal Law and Procedure xD:cake:
Depends on the course and the university but Law is a different animal to the HSC. There's plenty of 99+ students who absolutely struggle in Law while there are students, who didn't do as well in the HSC, that perform much better in Law relatively.

There's nothing to memorise because your exams will be open book (that being said, the skill of note-making is very important in Law - you'll need to walk into exams with concise exam-format notes as you don't want to flip through a gigantic textbook or 300 pages worth of notes).

Studying for Law, for most people, is ultimately having a good set of notes and doing some past papers to see if you can use your notes well (and whether your notes are missing anything). Do note that law assignments are very different to high school assignments, and you can be assessed on class participation for Law.

Law workload is bigger than most courses (even if contact hours are lower than most courses).

Biggest advice to you, although it's not about academics, is that you should aim to get involved in other aspects of the Law student life.
- Competitions - Mooting, Negotiation, etc. Try at least 1 of these in your 2nd semester and keep doing them in later years.
- UTS LSS - get involved in your Law Students Society. Try to join the committee in your later years.
- Legal Experience - work at a CLC, work at a firm as a paralegal, etc.
- Have non-Law extracurriculars too - do some other forms of volunteering, join a society which is based on your hobbies, etc.

I'm sure you've heard about the state of the law job market. Doing the things above won't only make your uni life more enjoyable but it'll also give you the skills and experience needed to make you more competitive for the future.

Best of luck.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
To answer your question OP, uni is really different. The reason you're in uni is because you completed your HSC and got into the course, so they have an expectation of you to work at a higher level. It's definitely not going to be a walk in the park.
In uni there's no real set syllabus to follow so you basically have to study everything you are presented with. Workload is definitely higher, think about completing 4 HSC subjects in 2-3 months, best way I can describe it.

To get a HD you need to definitely be on top of things starting from week 1 and not cram any of your assessments. It's possible for what you're studying because I've seen it done, by Bosers here for example ROT.
How much hours a day do you think is needed for a HD? Does the course matter?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it similar in the sense you just need to know the content, notes, do excercises and past papers to succeed (a formula) in HSC or is it something else with a different pattern?

I'm a first year student so don't what workload to expect. Is there a Uni version of BOS where you can get notes from that you know of? Is the workload to get HD comparable to someone getting 99 atar or nah?:guitar:
Yes. You do need to know your shit. Same stuff, exercises, notes etc. (just a bit more for law)

There is no uni version of BOS but you can ask people for notes.

J18134

HSC
Id take HSC over Uni any and every day of the week in terms of workload,complexity of content and expectations from teachers of students.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How much hours a day do you think is needed for a HD? Does the course matter?
It really depends on if you're a fast learner or not. And yes also depends on what you're studying.

Personally last sem I had 3 days off from uni and was doing 4 subjects. I studied about 9 hrs each of those days, equating to about 25-27 hours each week. HOWEVER, it must be noted that during the rest of the week I did absolutely nothing (like literally went to uni and came back home and didn't do any study), so things like listening to recorded lectures, doing assignments, completing labs/tutorial prep were done crammed into those days.

My results were pretty much distinctions but on the verge of HD's (84's :c), but yeah I have gotten HD's in the past with this much studying too.

Oh and I study mainy science subjects.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
It really depends on if you're a fast learner or not. And yes also depends on what you're studying.

Personally last sem I had 3 days off from uni and was doing 4 subjects. I studied about 9 hrs each of those days, equating to about 25-27 hours each week. HOWEVER, it must be noted that during the rest of the week I did absolutely nothing (like literally went to uni and came back home and didn't do any study), so things like listening to recorded lectures, doing assignments, completing labs/tutorial prep were done crammed into those days.

My results were pretty much distinctions but on the verge of HD's (84's :c), but yeah I have gotten HD's in the past with this much studying too.

Oh and I study mainy science subjects.
Isn't 9 hours each day a bit too much for distinction?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
lol University people are still so naive to think that

time spent studying = the mark you get

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
if you want HD you must study at least 10 hours a day and have no social life

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
I've clearly been doing stuff wrong :p

Yea, doesn't matter if you understand it or not, the longer you study the higher chances the content automatically diffuses into your brain.

Last edited:

Yeungster

HSC

Thanks for the input! xD Seems tough haha . Yes, will try to avoid cramming. :hammer:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Isn't 9 hours each day a bit too much for distinction?
9 hours included doing things like tutorial/lab prep so actual "studying" was when I was watching recorded lectures I'd say about 3-4 hrs

I am not a fast learner

If she didn't cram it all into 3 days, its like 3-4 hours a day
yep and in general when we say "studying" we mean learning the content as opposed to doing things like preparing for tutorials and stuff, so if you exclude that I'd say it's around 3 hrs/7 days

My boyfriend knows cos he's seen me crying laughing emoji

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I've clearly been doing stuff wrong :p

Yea, doesn't matter if you understand it or not, the longer you study the higher chances the content automatically diffuses into your brain.
You're clearly much more of a fast learner

D94

HSC
N/A

Facebook groups

Yeungster

HSC
Depends on the course and the university but Law is a different animal to the HSC. There's plenty of 99+ students who absolutely struggle in Law while there are students, who didn't do as well in the HSC, that perform much better in Law relatively.

There's nothing to memorise because your exams will be open book (that being said, the skill of note-making is very important in Law - you'll need to walk into exams with concise exam-format notes as you don't want to flip through a gigantic textbook or 300 pages worth of notes).

Studying for Law, for most people, is ultimately having a good set of notes and doing some past papers to see if you can use your notes well (and whether your notes are missing anything). Do note that law assignments are very different to high school assignments, and you can be assessed on class participation for Law.

Law workload is bigger than most courses (even if contact hours are lower than most courses).

Biggest advice to you, although it's not about academics, is that you should aim to get involved in other aspects of the Law student life.
- Competitions - Mooting, Negotiation, etc. Try at least 1 of these in your 2nd semester and keep doing them in later years.
- UTS LSS - get involved in your Law Students Society. Try to join the committee in your later years.
- Legal Experience - work at a CLC, work at a firm as a paralegal, etc.
- Have non-Law extracurriculars too - do some other forms of volunteering, join a society which is based on your hobbies, etc.

I'm sure you've heard about the state of the law job market. Doing the things above won't only make your uni life more enjoyable but it'll also give you the skills and experience needed to make you more competitive for the future.

Best of luck.
Aw Thanks! xD Really appreciate the insight to not only the academic side of things but also the essential social side that rounds things up. I will defs try to participate in any comps, societies (why join LSS in later years? is it restricted?), the likes when they come up. Since its my first year at uni and not 110% sure what i'm passionate in as well as there being an oversatured market, i guess i'll try grab any opportunities there is to offer and hopefully get to know what i actually want sooner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)