Is it ok to not have 'limitations' when annotating a source? (1 Viewer)

StudiousStudent

HSC
Hi there,

I have to do an annotation assignment. I'm in year 12 and this is the first one I have had to do. It's an 8 step process that we're meant to follow (citation, scope, limitations, conclusions, et cetera).

One source I've used, I feel doesn't have limitations. Would it be ok to state that the source is reliable, in-depth, or something other, rather than saying 'The limitation of x is' ?

I know I've posted in General uni discussion. Mostly because I'd like to know if this would be acceptable in such institutions.

Thank you.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hi there,

I have to do an annotation assignment. I'm in year 12 and this is the first one I have had to do. It's an 8 step process that we're meant to follow (citation, scope, limitations, conclusions, et cetera).

One source I've used, I feel doesn't have limitations. Would it be ok to state that the source is reliable, in-depth, or something other, rather than saying 'The limitation of x is' ?

I know I've posted in General uni discussion. Mostly because I'd like to know if this would be acceptable in such institutions.

Thank you.
There are always limitations (multiple). Always.

Do you mind posting the source?

StudiousStudent

HSC
There are always limitations (multiple). Always.

Do you mind posting the source?
I accessed the final version through my schools system: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/bul/135/1/142/ I'm not sure if you'll need a password to view.

This is a draft of the final version (no password required): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2748736/

The only words that jump out at me are theoretical and experimental, though I'm not sure if I can base a limitation off two words.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Wait what subject is this for ahaha, I assumed it was modern/ancient
Okay, I'll give it a shot ahah
Authors are american - limited perspective. Data and conclusions may not be able to be directly applied to an australian setting
similarly most of the studies cited seem to be american
Other than that all I can see is that some of the studies are quite old (1960s)

StudiousStudent

HSC
Wait what subject is this for ahaha, I assumed it was modern/ancient
Okay, I'll give it a shot ahah
Authors are american - limited perspective. Data and conclusions may not be able to be directly applied to an australian setting
similarly most of the studies cited seem to be american
Other than that all I can see is that some of the studies are quite old (1960s)
No, not ancient/modern (they're much easier!), this is an English assessment set by a fresh graduate (literally graduated end of 2015).
Basically we have to conduct research on a contemporary issue such as global warming, binge drinking, et cetera, use 14 sources, discard research and write an 8 sentence annotation for each source.

Thanks for your input, I noted the authors were American in another sentence - I'll have to restructure it to use that as a limitation and find something else for the other point.

Ordinarily I prefer assignments, but I must say - bring on the exams, they'll beat doing this.

Last edited:

StudiousStudent

HSC
There are always limitations in studies.

Look at the definition the author used. Is it consistent with other studies? Is it molded to suit a specific agenda / purpose? Can the definition used (and therefore the way in which the author measured his/her data) be applied to other studies (and therefore allow comparisons). Taking this method of thinking further, is there a unified definition of binge drinking in which the same standardized set of variables are used? Does this present a problem? Could you then say that there is an intrinsic problem with these studies? etc..

I would be weary of mentioning the nationality of the authors without reading into the research methodologies. It can be a valid (and good) point to use. I don't think the lack of application to an AU setting is a limitation of the study.

Look at the way it was peer reviewed, repeated, methods, consistensy of findingins...etc etc

This assignment seems fun imo.
Thanks i1337, you've given me a lot to consider :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)