Need to know how to study... (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I don't want to go university not knowing how to properly study afterwards. What do I do? Do I create my own notes? Is there even time for that? Do I go over the lecture slides? I'm already buying the required texts for each of my subjects (except one which doesn't require a textbook) and I want to know how to make the most of them.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't want to go university not knowing how to properly study afterwards. What do I do? Do I create my own notes? Is there even time for that? Do I go over the lecture slides? I'm already buying the required texts for each of my subjects (except one which doesn't require a textbook) and I want to know how to make the most of them.
Some of your questions are common sense.

He's there's time. Yes read the lecture slides, yes you make your own notes.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Did you attend high school? How did you study there? Is there anything you feel about your high school study techniques that need changing or improving?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I've come to the conclusion that textbooks are totally useless

but that's just my opinion

I always watch lectures

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
I do:
1. Read lecture slides and readings before lectures and after lectures
2. Make notes during lectures
3. Make own notes and ensure I understand whatever is being taught in lecture/class
4. Refer to textbook/consult course mates if unsure

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I do:
1. Read lecture slides and readings before lectures and after lectures
2. Make notes during lectures
3. Make own notes and ensure I understand whatever is being taught in lecture/class
4. Refer to textbook/consult course mates if unsure
Okay so for number 3 you make your own notes at home? How long does it usually take you for the day to complete the notes in the same day? Do you worry about the layout/format of your notes? As in you try to make them look pretty?

rawrliongirl

HSC
hmm yes is there a way to stop procrastination (like srsly)? you see, I still haven't learnt from my mistakes during HSC and i don't think i'm ever going to change :spin: (kind of worrying bc I'm already behind.. oops :cry:)

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so for number 3 you make your own notes at home? How long does it usually take you for the day to complete the notes in the same day? Do you worry about the layout/format of your notes? As in you try to make them look pretty?
I use a really general layout in word. Heading 1 for the course and heading 2 for the lecture. Yes I make my own notes at home/after lectures and they are kinda pretty, but mainly organised. It takes a while since Med is really content heavy. But if you are doing Math/less wordy subjects, I recommend writing them out/understanding concepts through scribbles first.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm yes is there a way to stop procrastination (like srsly)? you see, I still haven't learnt from my mistakes during HSC and i don't think i'm ever going to change :spin: (kind of worrying bc I'm already behind.. oops :cry:)
I find it really helps to get 'mini distracted' when I do work, till I find my motivation to just study hard. For example, hop on BOS then hope back to write a paragraph and come back on.

Alternatively, I study with a friend in the library or use adblock :p

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also is it better to print out the subject outline for each of the subjects I'm doing?

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Also is it better to print out the subject outline for each of the subjects I'm doing?
I do that yeah. I make sure when i'm making notes I fulfil the objectives. Also lectures sometimes have objectives as well- I make sure my notes cover them too.

Subject outlines also ensure you have an organised set of notes.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Tbh overall objectives cover the whole lecture, you're better off knowing everything.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Using cell biology and genetics as an example, here's a link to the subject outline. http://handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/details/91161.html

As I'm writing my notes, do I base whatever I'm writing on under the "content" heading which mentions the major topics?

How do I know that what I'm writing isn't missing anything?

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
A classic life problem most people face. It's best if you solve it independently because we all have differing studying and learning methods.

I don't follow lectures and I don't make my own notes because I don't learn a good deal from doing those activities. However, when I employ my own study methods, I learn a lot leading to satisfactory marks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Using cell biology and genetics as an example, here's a link to the subject outline. http://handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/details/91161.html

As I'm writing my notes, do I base whatever I'm writing on under the "content" heading which mentions the major topics?

How do I know that what I'm writing isn't missing anything?
Make sure you have content covering every lecture, they can only test you on what they present in the lecture and that's what you need to know.

There really is no syllabus like the HSC, you have to know everything. Lecturers will tell you if something is non-examinable, but everything else you are expected to know.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
A classic life problem most people face. It's best if you solve it independently because we all have differing studying and learning methods.

I don't follow lectures and I don't make my own notes because I don't learn a good deal from doing those activities. However, when I employ my own study methods, I learn a lot leading to satisfactory marks.
But yeah this is good advice

I personally for a lot of subjects use material off youtube and stuff for my learning, but I made sure that all those materials covered what was said in lectures.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

So if you don't follow lectures AND you don't make your own notes, then what do you study with?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is there a place where I can find notes for my subject for free?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)