What to do if my Unit is running horribly? (1 Viewer)

semi

HSC
N/A
Note: Originally posted in Macquarie Sub forum but posted here as well to get more insight.

Hey, I'm in my second year of Macquarie University, and it’s been pretty good so far. I’m doing an IT course, so it probably sheds some light on why I’m having this problem, as most IT people know that Macquarie doesn’t care much for IT.

Now I’m in a unit, and so far it’s just been horrible. I don’t want to drop it cause I want to get it done and over with. But everything about it is just bad. So first off the lectures are a joke, the lecturer wastes too much time and uses way too many similes in the content and doesn’t actually explain most of the content (can’t refer to the book sometimes because he uses different meanings from the book).

This even isn’t the worst part, the first assignment he’s assigned to us is written poorly. Firstly, we can only attempt the assignment after seeing the latest lectures to understand the content. So leaves us less than a week to finish it, and I still haven’t understood the content so it makes it even harder for me right now. But there is really no apparent question in the assignment, he just uses the words “Consider this and write a page on it”. You can’t even ask the other professors/lecturers certain questions because they need to ask the unit adviser to make sure their answer is right.

Maybe I’m just not used to unit’s being run like this, but my first year I hadn’t experienced being lost in a unit. Normally my units will just ask what they want in the assignment, this unit really doesn’t make any sense half the time.

But I have proof of the unit being run bad, (I have a photo of a professor saying he’ll get back to me on the question I have asked on the assignment, and it’s been 3 days without an answer) and the assignment sheet that contains no questions and expects us to write a report about it.

Should I go to directly to the University and report this to them, or should report my experiences so far to the adviser?

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, quite a few courses are like that and some professors are in universities mainly cause of research and not teaching (but they are made to teach). You could try to 'report' your experiences but I doubt there would be any difference, especially if the course has been there for some time. It is really frustrating (I have some courses like that too), but Uni is really about self directed learning :l and in a way they have 'bigger things' to worry about than just one course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)