Is there a cap to the number of people allowed to get HD or D's in USyd/UNSW Science? (1 Viewer)

Hao Zhu

HSC
I've heard that there is a limited amount of people allowed to get these grades in science subjects. Is it true? I thought it should be based on grades received, not number of people. If so, what's the cap like for UNSW and USyd?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Re: Is there a cap to the number of people allowed to get HD or D's in USyd/UNSW Scie

capped at usyd
no cap at unsw

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Re: Is there a cap to the number of people allowed to get HD or D's in USyd/UNSW Scie

There's such thing as this? Isn't this unfair for those that actually can receive HD but cannot due to the cap?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

There's such thing as this? Isn't this unfair for those that actually can receive HD but cannot due to the cap?
they mark on a curve I think so they base it on percentile

kind of a reason I'm leaning to unsw law lel

D94

HSC
N/A

UNSW might not mark on a curve, but they can make the marking criteria harder to the point that only a certain number of people can achieve high marks. (In fact, this happens at UNSW)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Both USYD Law and UNSW Law have a strict bell curve system.

USYD Law probably even more so (i.e. slightly lower percentage for Ds/HDs).

A good majority of marks at UNSW Law are in the credit region, even if the cohort, as a whole, is very academically capable (especially in their other degree).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Both USYD Law and UNSW Law have a strict bell curve system.

USYD Law probably even more so (i.e. slightly lower percentage for Ds/HDs).

A good majority of marks at UNSW Law are in the credit region, even if the cohort, as a whole, is very academically capable (especially in their other degree).
crap really?

I thought I read somewhere that unsw wasn't

evidently not ahaha, thanks

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

crap really?

I thought I read somewhere that unsw wasn't

evidently not ahaha, thanks
Even UNSW law lecturers themselves basically say ''we have to mark to a bell curve" - sometimes they might even show the grade distribution for assignments and clearly most marks are focused in the credit range. Very little in the pass and HD area, and a few in the D area.

It's more of a law thing than a UNSW thing.

That being said, I think other law schools might be more lax on the bell curve.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad

They have no cap for Science in UNSW, but unlike law, there are quite a few who pass with distinction (if they choose the right subjects). Less people pass with HD.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

idk i remember seeing this

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Actually UNSW law marks are based on a bell curve-so whether you get a HD or not is really dependent on how well you perform relative to your peers. But you will find when you actually get into law, getting a HD is much harder than you think because you are competing with the best of the best.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Actually UNSW law marks are based on a bell curve-so whether you get a HD or not is really dependent on how well you perform relative to your peers. But you will find when you actually get into law, getting a HD is much harder than you think because you are competing with the best of the best.
is this similar to the HSC?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

idk i remember seeing this

That's either not for science or from pre-2014. I'm pretty sure from 2014 onwards they took away scaling and uncapped the number of HD's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)