What do I do from here? feeling anxious. (1 Viewer)

changumangu

HSC
I feel like I've stuffed up big time.

I'm in my 3rd year of Commerce and Law at Macquarie University, a completely average student and I've failed a few units and have had a really inconsistent time at uni marks wise.

My last semester for example:
1 Distinction (75), 1 Pass (50), and one fail (48)

My GPA is 2.81/4.00 (WAM of 68), and I feel like I have lost all chance of being a top student and getting a good internship, or a grad role.

I do have a drive to do well, but I just cannot get myself to be consistent with my studies, or anything else in my life for that matter. This semester's exam period for example, I hadn't touched any of my units since week 3, and never for one unit.

It's not that I have a lot of commitments, it's that I just procrastinate that severely that it has the worst impact on my grades. I'm a smart guy, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn here at all. I had an outstanding ATAR, but even since I got to uni I've just been mucking around and really losing ground.

I have friends now with outstanding GPA's and great marks, having 3 grad roles lined up and looking for better options.

What do I do here now? I feel really scared and nervous about my prospects. What can I do to remedy this? Has anyone been in a similar situation before?

Thanks,
Changumangu

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Negate your emotions before reading this post.

Not many think about this but the longer you stay at university, assuming same load per semester, the more resistant your WAM is going to be. Just have a look at the mean function and study the denominator. Around third year is when you probably see this in action.

Face it, you lost your drive. Something's going on. There was a magnificent post on this forum where the user claims that most procrastination is a result of "not wanting to study", rather they should be changing this mindset to "need to study"; a necessity.

I don't see purpose in the following sentence: "I'm a smart....... losing ground". What I can say is that are you really sure you are "smart"? What does it actually mean to you to be "smart"? Outstanding ATAR is not indicative of any cognitive superiority unless it's 99+. Intelligence is a sensitive topic so I'm going to discontinue my thoughts.

There are more productive options you can do other than worrying. I'll provide some suggestions. You'll need to put in a lot of effort (~80+ next sems) to get a distinction average. Now, there are three options: (a) study hard and recover your WAM, (b) build real skills but try not to flunk, (c) do (a) and (b). The first option will be focused on optimising for exam, thus you may not gain relevant skills that the course wants you to. This essentially deems the class absolutely useless. The second option, may be unclear but it means to make the most out of the course. Do things properly and really understand what you're doing.

What does it mean to have a "good internship"? You must view everything as experience, an opportunity for growth. Don't expect to be successful by being lazy. You should try to build whatever skills needed through any relevant internship, job, uni events, etc. Be proactive.

Just do you, don't worry about what others are doing. You are comapring their spotlights to your ________; unreasonable comparison.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
'Mucking around and losing ground' seems extremely incompatible with someone who has a 'drive to do well', are you sure you are not self-deluding yourself? Face it-you were lazy, you got bad marks, don't be envious-because other people have probably worked a lot harder than you to get there-you reap what you sow-it is quite simple. You should fix up your attitude, have a plan for the future, and stop being 'scared'-because it does nothing but breed more feelings of being worried. I think He-Mann has basically put what i want to say to you in pretty good advice, and I will add this:

If you let 3 years of uni define your future, you need to develop some resilience because life is a long damn journey, you failed? So what, dust yourself off, pick yourself up and try again (don't tell me you feel like giving up on a small hurdle)

. You have got to realise by YOUR OWN INACTION-you have put yourself in this position, either you get some professional help on how to develop more self-discipline, get people around you to help you and etc- and above all-really rethink what you want to do in life-maybe you are not in a degree where you are super motivated to study in the first place hence your procrastination, HAVE A GOOD THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT OUT OF YOUR LIFE, STOP PROCRASTINATING (SERIOUSLY SELF-DISCIPLINE DEVELOP IT, LEARN IT WHATEVER) AND STOP BEING JEALOUS (BECAUSE I hate to be harsh on you, you have no right to be jealous given your own actions to muck up your own marks). It is not that your marks are inconsistent, it is that you let your smartness make you complacent and not study. THAT MY FRIEND, IS NOT SMART, IT IS A STUPID MOVE-AS SIMPLE AS THAT. What happened in the HSC is a few years ago, even if you got a state rank doesn't mean you can be lazy for the next few years and cruise through uni.

Having said that though, I believe you can turn this situation around and you need to adopt the advice given to really have a genuine think about your future and what you truly want.

Last edited:

changumangu

HSC
Thanks guys, I definitely take on board what both of you are saying. It's time I remedied the situation I am here right now and stop playing the victim of circumstance and actually do what's best for me. Any tips on developing self-discipline?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys, I definitely take on board what both of you are saying. It's time I remedied the situation I am here right now and stop playing the victim of circumstance and actually do what's best for me. Any tips on developing self-discipline?
Really only you can discipline yourself, that's learning willpower. Personally I use a rewards system. If I do x amount of topics today and understand it thoroughly then I get to binge watch something after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)