Getting or Not Getting into Law + ATAR (1 Viewer)

msmajormajor

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,
Could someone please help me with questions regarding law and the required atar?

1.Has anyone ever been accepted into law even though their atar was lower than the published required atar? (excluding any schemes)
If so when and which uni?

2.Regarding law at ANU the atar has risen during the past recent years.In the published uac book with all the courses it says the cut off is 97. This year is the first year that the atar is 98 (meaning that you can't use bonus points to get into law at ANU this was announced April 2016). Do you think it is possible to get in if you are under the atar?

3.is it possible that after the atar is released unis would lower or raise the cut off?
If so when and which uni?

4.Say if i can't do law during first year. What are the alternate pathways to law at USYD and UNSW?

Thanks first

si2136

HSC
N/A
1. Rarely. It has happened before, but like 0.05 off
2. There has been mixed responses. You would need to call up to confirm.
3. Supply and Demand. Rarely will they change drastically.
4. Transfer. Good ATAR and WAM.

Whodis

HSC
A study published in SMH revealed that many, many students at Macquarie gained entry despite ATARs way under the cut off, including law students. There are law students there now who got ATARs of 90 and below.
Likewise, UTS has a nominal ATAR of 97ish for Law but I personally know students in the course who got 90.

Regarding whether to start a broader degree at the uni you want, or begin Law elsewhere, I recommend Law, rather than a straight Arts, Science or Eco's degree.

My strong advice is to begin a law degree somewhere decent which will accept you, study as hard as you can and achieve the highest GPA/WAM you are able. Then apply to transfer to the institution of your choice, whether USyd or UNSW. The reason for this is simple: if you really wish to pursue law, then you need to begin doing that degree. At the end of that first year, one of two outcomes will unfold. You'll either successfully transfer to the uni your heart desires, OR you will miss out again. If the latter is the case, you really want to be embarking on the second year of you Law degree, not contemplating starting all over again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)