Maths & Actuarial Studies/Finance/accounting (1 Viewer)

caleb2160

HSC
Hi,
I am currently at HSC level doing 2U maths and I had a few Questions regarding Actuarial Studies and finance. Is it still possible to do Actuarial Studies with a 2U level of mathematics? Or is it just impossible?
If Actuarial Studies is crossed out, what would be a more useful degree sought out by employers? Applied finance & Professional Accounting at MQ, Applied Finance and law at MQ or just a Finance and Law degree at either UNSW and USYD or Economics/Finance, Economics/law? Why as well? I'm struggling to decide if I want to get into the legal side of finance (Corporate Lawyer, more commercial side) or aim for just go straight into finance jobs. Also what exactly is the main difference between Finance and Accounting? I know they're different but what exactly separates them between what you learn?

Is finance/accounting or Finance/law a difficult degree? Would I struggle whilst doing 2U maths & why? Also any recommendations for courses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I am currently at HSC level doing 2U maths and I had a few Questions regarding Actuarial Studies and finance. Is it still possible to do Actuarial Studies with a 2U level of mathematics? Or is it just impossible?
If Actuarial Studies is crossed out, what would be a more prestigious and useful degree sought out by employers? Applied finance & Professional Accounting at MQ, Applied Finance and law at MQ or just a Finance and Law degree at either UNSW and USYD or Economics/Finance, Economics/law? Why as well? I'm struggling to decide if I want to get into the legal side of finance (Corporate Lawyer, more commercial side) or aim for just go straight into finance jobs. Also what exactly is the main difference between Finance and Accounting? I know they're different but what exactly separates them between what you learn?

Is finance/accounting or Finance/law a difficult degree? Would I struggle whilst doing 2U maths & why? Also any recommendations for courses would be greatly appreciated.

You will be struggling if you do 2U maths if you wish to enter into Acturial Studies. However, you'll be fine majoring in Finance and doing 2U.

If you care about prestige so much, aim for Finance/Law at USYD or UNSW.

caleb2160

HSC
If you care about prestige so much, aim for Finance/Law at USYD or UNSW.
Any reasons why a finance/law would be a much better option out of economics law and accounting finance aside from prestige?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hi,
If Actuarial Studies is crossed out, what would be a more prestigious and useful degree sought out by employers? Applied finance & Professional Accounting at MQ, Applied Finance and law at MQ or just a Finance and Law degree at either UNSW and USYD or Economics/Finance, Economics/law? Why as well? I'm struggling to decide if I want to get into the legal side of finance (Corporate Lawyer, more commercial side) or aim for just go straight into finance jobs. Also what exactly is the main difference between Finance and Accounting? I know they're different but what exactly separates them between what you learn?

Yes it is very possible to do Actuarial studies without 3U/4U maths however many people have struggled in Actuarial Studies without doing those subjects, hence it is not recommended

Even bridging courses ain't gonna help much since it's all crammed

caleb2160

HSC
Aleight. So if I were to not do actuarial studies what would be the best alternative and why?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Aleight. So if I were to not do actuarial studies what would be the best alternative and why?
Commerce/Other Degree of sort. Since you don't have a maths bg, Comm/Eco works for you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi,
If Actuarial Studies is crossed out, what would be a more useful degree sought out by employers? Applied finance & Professional Accounting at MQ, Applied Finance and law at MQ or just a Finance and Law degree at either UNSW and USYD or Economics/Finance, Economics/law? Why as well? I'm struggling to decide if I want to get into the legal side of finance (Corporate Lawyer, more commercial side) or aim for just go straight into finance jobs. Also what exactly is the main difference between Finance and Accounting? I know they're different but what exactly separates them between what you learn?

your question should be "what am i interested in?"

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
your question should be "what am i interested in?"
I'm struggling to decide if I want to get into the legal side of finance (Corporate Lawyer, more commercial side) or aim for just go straight into finance jobs.
He told us what he was interested in.

Anyway OP, since you're still tossing up between corporate law and finance, the obvious degree would be comm/law. Finance is basically attempting to allocate resources efficiently. Examples include deciding whether to go through with a certain mining project, or open up a bicycle store in the city, etc and working out if you'll be better off doing the project or doing nothing at all. Accounting deals with measuring and communicating financial information (such as revenue, expenses, etc) to various groups like shareholders and lenders (these are obviously very broad definitions). The main difference you should hopefully see between these definitions is that finance deals with the future (should we invest in this thing?) while accounting generally tends to deal with the past (do we count this sale as a revenue? should we treat this purchase as a capital expenditure?).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was saying that question of what employers want shouldn't even really be considered

caleb2160

HSC
Anyway OP, since you're still tossing up between corporate law and finance, the obvious degree would be comm/law. Finance is basically attempting to allocate resources efficiently. Examples include deciding whether to go through with a certain mining project, or open up a bicycle store in the city, etc and working out if you'll be better off doing the project or doing nothing at all. Accounting deals with measuring and communicating financial information (such as revenue, expenses, etc) to various groups like shareholders and lenders (these are obviously very broad definitions). The main difference you should hopefully see between these definitions is that finance deals with the future (should we invest in this thing?) while accounting generally tends to deal with the past (do we count this sale as a revenue? should we treat this purchase as a capital expenditure?).
That makes more sense. Thank you but now the next question I have is if law is a career to get into and if finance/law has a wide variety of careers open

si2136

HSC
N/A
That makes more sense. Thank you but now the next question I have is if law is a career to get into and if finance/law has a wide variety of careers open
Law is a career that you would need to put in your effort to get into. Doing EC's, interns, volunteering, everything you can get to get any standard role even. If you're passionate, go for it. If not, I suggest to you that you don't.

Finance/Law has a wide variety of careers open. Finance/Maths has a wider variety of careers open.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Yes it is very possible to do Actuarial studies without 3U/4U maths however many people have struggled in Actuarial Studies without doing those subjects, hence it is not recommended

Even bridging courses ain't gonna help much since it's all crammed
Please OP, dont listen to eyeseeyou. He's got a reputation here for being full of shit

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Please OP, dont listen to eyeseeyou. He's got a reputation here for being full of shit
How am I being full of shit. Go ask other uni students if u dont believe me

When I said "it was very possible to do actuarial without 3/4u maths" I meant that you could sit only 2U in HS (and that's not stopping u since uni's have only assumed knowledge and recommended knowledge) but in uni, they assume u already know that u did those courses however if u didnt do it in HS then u would struggle a lot. And I meant ppl who dont do 4U in HS struggle in Actuarial studies

And bridging courses are kinda crammed if u think about it since u have to learn 40 hours worth of content (actually more like a year's worth of content) in like 4 weeks (IMO 10 hours a week arent enough to understand the basics on an indepth level): http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/future-students/mathematics-bridging-course

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
ICU is actually right. It's all crammed and no university student will recommend you to do Actuarial Studies with 2U lol

There were recent posts here and leehuan and others contributed to that matter, stating that 3U is the bare minimum requirement to do it.

caleb2160

HSC
Law is a career that you would need to put in your effort to get into. Doing EC's, interns, volunteering, everything you can get to get any standard role even. If you're passionate, go for it. If not, I suggest to you that you don't.

Finance/Law has a wide variety of careers open. Finance/Maths has a wider variety of careers open.
Thanks haha. I'll probably end up doing finance and law only due to the fact that I'm very interested in law. Only one small issue though.. I don't do advanced english :/ I do standard. If I were to get band 6 in standard english would I still struggle with law? Considering band 6 is very hard to get in standard english??

caleb2160

HSC
ICU is actually right. It's all crammed and no university student will recommend you to do Actuarial Studies with 2U lol

There were recent posts here and leehuan and others contributed to that matter, stating that 3U is the bare minimum requirement to do it.
Yeah I probably won't do actuarial in that case haha. What do they teach in 3U that's so different and required in 2U?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)