Help! Entry to medsci? (1 Viewer)

ella_k

HSC
Would I be able to get into USYD (90) or UNSW (94) medical science or UTS (89)?
My ATAR was 83.30 and I'll get four/five bonus points for HSC plus and EAS for the life threatening illness of a family member. I saw that last year, the min. ATAR of a medical science entry at USYD (alternate pathways) was 82.
Thanks

teequal

HSC
Would I be able to get into USYD (90) or UNSW (94) medical science or UTS (89)?
My ATAR was 83.30 and I'll get four/five bonus points for HSC plus and EAS for the life threatening illness of a family member. I saw that last year, the min. ATAR of a medical science entry at USYD (alternate pathways) was 82.
Thanks
Could you detail your HSC results by band?

Ill assume for now HSC Plus 4 points for UNSW and 5 points for UTS since UTS give more in general.
That will get you to 87.3 @ UNSW and 88.3 @ UTS
UNSW will likely give 3 bonus points for a single disadvantage so I'd say you'd be looking at 91 +/- 1 for your selection rank
UTS reserve 10% of places in each course for EAS applicants and you only need one point so you're definitely eligible and would receive an offer.
USYD's Flexible entry scheme will allow you entry within 5 points of the cut off if you achieve Band 4 in 2u or higher AND Band 4 in two of bio, chem and physics. Note you must get both, you can't just meet one half of that requirement. That will bring you down to an 85 at best. Now Sydney's Broadway scheme allows again for 5 points of leeway. So I don't know if these can be combined for a max of 10 or if they reduce that when both are applied.
NOTE: USYD does NOT give bonus points to increase your selection rank. Instead 600 places across all courses eligible are reserved for EAS applicants who can get in with up to 5 points below the cut off and the same is true for flexible entry but it's not reserved places. USYD is definitely possible if you qualify for flexible entry. If you do, just preference them in order of which you want most. Don't place say UNSW last because it's less likely, if you want it, put it above the other etc.

Goodluck!

ella_k

HSC
So I checked HSC plus and I'll be getting 5 bonus points.
Do you think it's safe at all to put down USYD or UNSW, because if there's no possibility I don't think I will put them down

ella_k

HSC
Not eligible for flexible entry I only did bio :(((

Could you detail your HSC results by band?

Ill assume for now HSC Plus 4 points for UNSW and 5 points for UTS since UTS give more in general.
That will get you to 87.3 @ UNSW and 88.3 @ UTS
UNSW will likely give 3 bonus points for a single disadvantage so I'd say you'd be looking at 91 +/- 1 for your selection rank
UTS reserve 10% of places in each course for EAS applicants and you only need one point so you're definitely eligible and would receive an offer.
USYD's Flexible entry scheme will allow you entry within 5 points of the cut off if you achieve Band 4 in 2u or higher AND Band 4 in two of bio, chem and physics. Note you must get both, you can't just meet one half of that requirement. That will bring you down to an 85 at best. Now Sydney's Broadway scheme allows again for 5 points of leeway. So I don't know if these can be combined for a max of 10 or if they reduce that when both are applied.
NOTE: USYD does NOT give bonus points to increase your selection rank. Instead 600 places across all courses eligible are reserved for EAS applicants who can get in with up to 5 points below the cut off and the same is true for flexible entry but it's not reserved places. USYD is definitely possible if you qualify for flexible entry. If you do, just preference them in order of which you want most. Don't place say UNSW last because it's less likely, if you want it, put it above the other etc.

Goodluck!

teequal

HSC
So I checked HSC plus and I'll be getting 5 bonus points.
Do you think it's safe at all to put down USYD or UNSW, because if there's no possibility I don't think I will put them down
Put them both down if you would like to go there whether you think you will get it or not. The way offer rounds work means you always get an offer for the highest option you are eligible for. So if you put UNSW, USYD, UTS and don't qualify for UNSW or USYD you will get UTS, but on the chance you do scrape in, you'll get your offer. However the only one I think you are eligible for is UTS. If you'd still like USYD or UNSW consider transferring after one year. Alternatively consider the Bachelor of Science at both USYD and UNSW, you can transfer after one year into medsci. You can in first year tailor your classes to medicine (Check this, see what they offer for first year units that correlate to medsci) and then you just need to maintain a good GPA/WAM and you will be able to transfer. Goodluck!

Muxcomee

HSC
:( I ended up with 86.05... at UNSW I'm eligible for 4 HSC plus points, and if its true that they give 3 points for a single disadvantage then thats 7 all togethor. So my selection rank would be 93.05 (less than 1 point from 2016 cut off). Do you guys think I have a chance at acceptance. I was also eligible for a point under the EAP scheme but I regrettably didnt apply for it! Is there anyway UNSW would consider it at this point XD

For USyd, Im in the same boat as OP. I did well in HSC Bio and Maths but didn't do an additional science... I'm only 3.95 points from the USyd cut off, considering EAS do you think I'll have a chance at USyd Medsci?

UTS is a last option, I think its a safe bet for me?

teequal

HSC
:( I ended up with 86.05... at UNSW I'm eligible for 4 HSC plus points, and if its true that they give 3 points for a single disadvantage then thats 7 all togethor. So my selection rank would be 93.05 (less than 1 point from 2016 cut off). Do you guys think I have a chance at acceptance. I was also eligible for a point under the EAP scheme but I regrettably didnt apply for it! Is there anyway UNSW would consider it at this point XD

For USyd, Im in the same boat as OP. I did well in HSC Bio and Maths but didn't do an additional science... I'm only 3.95 points from the USyd cut off, considering EAS do you think I'll have a chance at USyd Medsci?

UTS is a last option, I think its a safe bet for me?
Under EAS I'd say you are likely to get USYD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)