Comparative Grades between Universities (NSW) (1 Viewer)

Instructed

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,

I’m interested to query the validity of ‘word on the street’ regarding the psychology program at USYD, and whether there’s any truth to the idea that USYD in general is a ‘hard marking’ university, and to clarify what I mean by that: I’ve heard that science students from Western Sydney Uni (high achievers getting HD’s) who have transferred to USYD generally experience an across the board grade drop of at least 1 full grade (10%) meaning that their HD end up being a D or even sometimes a C…
I think I’m going to struggle to achieve the distinction average required for admission to the Psych Hons program and I’d hate to think that by choosing to continue to study at USYD where in 3rd year say I end up with a 70% average, that I miss honors whereas had I chosen to move to another uni at this critical point (1st year psych units done) I could have made it into this Hons program which TBH is the only thing that makes the psych degree useful….

If anyone can shed any light on just how much ‘harder’ USYD might mark and it would be great to hear from any students who have transferred to or from USYD and can comment on how they have found their grades affected…. And I don’t just mean the psych program….

Regards

Instructed

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Tbf that's probably tru

Go to UNSW and ur grades will remain the same

engineering

HSC
N/A
For some degrees where there is not huge demand (eg Law), unis will generally set the cutoff at the lowest they believe a student needs to succeed in the degree (ie pass).

Hence if Uni A sets a cutoff of 85 for a degree, and Uni B sets a cutoff of 70, then you do the maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)