Is special precedent granted to people who place a degree as their first preference (1 Viewer)

AtarKing

HSC
For instance, were I to place a degree which I am highly unlikely to get in to, as my first preference in the off chance I do get in, does my ability to get in to my 2nd or 3rd preference diminish at all. For example if someone with the same atar as me chose the second or third course (which I had a decent chance of getting an offer for) as their first preference, are they considered more likely to get an offer?

I am wondering this as I have made the cutoff for my 2nd preference but not my first, and will put my 2nd preference as my 1st if this will help my chances (as the first is unlikely although still possible - hence why it is still my first preference).

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Re: Is special precedent granted to people who place a degree as their first preferen

If you don't get into your first you will get the next preference as your offer etc etc

AtarKing

HSC
Re: Is special precedent granted to people who place a degree as their first preferen

If you don't get into your first you will get the next preference as your offer etc etc
Yes, yes I understand this but if I were to have the same degree as first or second preference, assuming I didn't get in to the first preference in the instance of the latter, would I be just as likely to get in, had I had it as my first preference originally?

engineering

HSC
N/A

UAC gives you your highest allocatable preference. No priority is given to people with higher prefs.

Consider this scenario

Student A has ATAR 94.9. She puts medicine as pref 1 and science as pref 2.
Student B has ATAR 94.8. He puts science as pref 1.

The cut off for medicine is 99. The cut off for science is 94.85.

student A gets an offer for science, as that is her highest allocatable preference.
student B gets nothing, because he didn't make the cutoff. The fact that student B put science as pref 1 means nothing if he doesn't make the cutoff

Consider this scenario

Student A has ATAR 94.9. She puts medicine as pref 1 and science as pref 2.
Student B has ATAR 94.9. He puts science as pref 1.

The cut off for medicine is 99. The cut off for science is 94.85.

They both get an offer for science.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)