Can you do teaching with no band 5 english? (1 Viewer)

47alo

HSC
So i'm doing hsc this year (adv english) and i'm pretty confident i wont be able to get band 5 in english because i'm legit really bad in english in general.
i was wondering is it possible to do teaching at either usyd, uts, macq, wsu without getting band5 english and also not do a pathways course??
suppose i meet the atar but not b5 for english, is there a slight chance that i could get an offer or is it dead set 100% i require band5 english?

SuperAltastic

HSC
So i'm doing hsc this year (adv english) and i'm pretty confident i wont be able to get band 5 in english because i'm legit really bad in english in general.
i was wondering is it possible to do teaching at either usyd, uts, macq, wsu without getting band5 english and also not do a pathways course??
suppose i meet the atar but not b5 for english, is there a slight chance that i could get an offer or is it dead set 100% i require band5 english?
In terms of the uni courses id check the uni courses themselves and maybe the BOSTES website for help as they would be the best places to seek advice.

sourmilk

HSC
I'm sure the lower uni's would definitely accept you regardless if you meet the requirement of band 5 in english. However, I'm not sure with USYD or UNSW whether band 5 was a prerequisite or just assumed knowledge.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think you should go in your HSC year with this mentality of 'I won't get a band 5' after just one term: otherwise you are most likely to get what you think you will get or worse. You have the time, opportunity and every possibility to truly get a band 5 in English if you are determined, there is plenty of time left in the summer holidays for you to hone in your English skills if you are truly determined. The question is whether you are so self-disciplined and determined to get there or whether you will accept your supposed 'fate' so easily.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
We're assuming you don't want to teach english, right?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Instead of focusing on options for not getting band 5 in english..how about you put your energy into ways to get a band 5 in english and this problem wont arise!

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there,

As far as I know, at places like UNSW, the band 5 in English is more "assumed knowledge" than a prerequisite, ie they just assume you have a decent level level of written/ spoken English to grasp the course content & the eventual vocational demands if you enrol in the course.

There is also a literacy & numeracy test all students have to do (BOSTES req'd) but from what I've heard this is pretty basic.

That being said, don't sell yourself short, getting a band 5 in English isn't as hard as you think, and I'm sure you're capable of it if you really put your mind to it and practice the hell out of past papers, mock tasks etc.

Source: this https://education.arts.unsw.edu.au/students/study/undergraduate/ and the fact that I looked into teaching at a lot of places before choosing USYD (but abandoned education at the end of my first year :))

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
Oops - just noticed you didn't list UNSW as one of the unis you were interested in, but looks like same goes for MQ as your first year seems to be a foundational one which serves to cover the requirements somehow.
Link here: http://www.educ.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/teaching_qualifications
Pretty easy to find when you search though.

Also, from what I know of attending USYD I don't think anyone without the b5 in English is accepted here (based on what I know/have heard from friends/others)

47alo

HSC
I don't think you should go in your HSC year with this mentality of 'I won't get a band 5' after just one term: otherwise you are most likely to get what you think you will get or worse. You have the time, opportunity and every possibility to truly get a band 5 in English if you are determined, there is plenty of time left in the summer holidays for you to hone in your English skills if you are truly determined. The question is whether you are so self-disciplined and determined to get there or whether you will accept your supposed 'fate' so easily.
It's not 'fate'. I'm just being realistic as possible
Like i know my strength and weaknesses and it goes the same by saying "i can get 99.95" like obviously i know dead straight 99.95 is not possible like come on how many people get that. I put in effort into all my subjects equally but i'm being realistic as possible here because i realise my capabilities

sorry if this sounded rude or anything lol

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's not 'fate'. I'm just being realistic as possible
Like i know my strength and weaknesses and it goes the same by saying "i can get 99.95" like obviously i know dead straight 99.95 is not possible like come on how many people get that. I put in effort into all my subjects equally but i'm being realistic as possible here because i realise my capabilities

sorry if this sounded rude or anything lol
I think it's best that instead of saying 'It isn't possible for me to get a band 5 for English', actually aim for a band 5 in English. List down what you can do to improve your current performance in english, e.g. do you need to work on answering the essay question properly, do you need to provide more examples in your essays, etc

And after you start working from your weaknesses, you can actually get a b5/6 at the end of your HSC

anon1234567

HSC
Mate they'll definitely let you in. Getting a band 5 in English is just something that BOSTES looks for, but the universities will solely look at your ATAR. Also there's a condition that I read on the official NSW teaching website which says that if you simply pass all your first year courses, then you won't be required to get a band 5 in English.
http://nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/futur...a-teacher/raising-university-entry-standards/
Scroll down - it says that if you pass all your first year courses, then they don't care if you didn't get a band 5 in English. Don't waste your time by looking at HSC English past papers; it's purely a waste of time. Learning about fucking Shakespeare won't help you teach at all. I hope that my advice helps you :) Good luck in your future studies!!!
P.S. where do you intend on studying and what course? I'm planning on doing secondary mathematics teaching this year at UNSW. If you're going to study there as well, privately message me and we can add each other on Facebook.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Whilst it is a pre-req, some uni's may let you in but you will have to do extra English subjects on your PECs or do bridging/ learning development tasks to meet that requirement. Furthermore, since July 2016 all pre-service teachers (which will be you if you get accepted) need to pass the National Literacy and Numeracy LANTITE test held by ACER.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)