UWS Advanced Med Sci or UNSW Med Sci? (1 Viewer)

MalGal

HSC
I was wondering if anyone could help and compare the two courses, such as what facilities are available, the course work etc and which would be the better choice if I want to pursue a degree in Medicine, whether it be Undergrad or post-grad (how do the two universities look at your marks for transfers?). I would also like to add that I live right next to UWS Campbelltown and an hour or so away from UNSW, hence wondering if the journey would be worth it.

My marks from year 12 weren't all that great for medicine standards, receiving 89 in both umat and atar, with my atar is it still possible for me to get into undergrad medicine? (people have been telling me post grad is the only chance I have now)

lastly, what is the difference between Med sci and "Advanced" med sci at UWS?

Thank you so much I'm lost

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I can't answer any of the other questions except that 89 atar isn't high enough to get into undergrad. If you had a 93.5 or so and were in GWS area you may have been invited to interview for WSU but I don't think 89 is high enough.

Doing a med sci degree, it's still really hard to get into graduate medicine so keep that in mind as you have to do GAMSAT (more expensive, more things tested, 6 hour exam) and that there are less spots for grad med. Also pretty much most people that do medical science want to transfer into medicine so you'll have to have a really competitive GPA to get in plus the GAMSAT and possibly interview.

Edit: From queenroot, you can use your GPA + umat, but umat only lasts 1 year so you gotta retake the test.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I can't answer any of the other questions except that 89 atar isn't high enough to get into undergrad. If you had a 93.5 or so and were in GWS area you may have been invited to interview for WSU but I don't think 89 is high enough.

Doing a med sci degree, it's still really hard to get into graduate medicine so keep that in mind as you have to do GAMSAT (more expensive, more things tested, 6 hour exam) and that there are less spots for grad med. Also pretty much most people that do medical science want to transfer into medicine so you'll have to have a really competitive GPA to get in plus the GAMSAT and possibly interview.
She can do UMAT and use her GPA.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
OP I'd do normal med sci not adv, I've done adv and it's basically the same, but u have to do the higher level subjects. They are harder to get good marks in. So just go wit med sci it's easier to attain a higher GPA :) You also have to take a research project in adv med sci i believe.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if anyone could help and compare the two courses, such as what facilities are available, the course work etc and which would be the better choice if I want to pursue a degree in Medicine, whether it be Undergrad or post-grad (how do the two universities look at your marks for transfers?). I would also like to add that I live right next to UWS Campbelltown and an hour or so away from UNSW, hence wondering if the journey would be worth it.

My marks from year 12 weren't all that great for medicine standards, receiving 89 in both umat and atar, with my atar is it still possible for me to get into undergrad medicine? (people have been telling me post grad is the only chance I have now)

lastly, what is the difference between Med sci and "Advanced" med sci at UWS?

Thank you so much I'm lost
Do med sci at UWS because you'll probably have a much higher WAM/GPA than if you did the same thing at UNSW (I'm assuming UNSW entry from med sci to med won't apply to you because of ATAR so no advantage?). As others have said, undergrad med is probably very unlikely because of your ATAR (but yeah, you can do UMAT again using GPA) but you can most certainly do postgrad. I wouldn't be too daunted by the post-grad competition, everyone talks it up but if you study, GAMSAT is much more do-able compared to umat. I know a few people with ATARs around/below yours doing post-grad med at usyd/UQ so go UWS (its also close to you!), stay focused for a few years and hopefully you'll be in med in a couple of years.

good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)