Does anyone think that the Bachelor of Philosophy degree is worth it??? (1 Viewer)

Should I go for it or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

BenSmithy

HSC
I am considering doing a BPhil degree. For those of you who don't know what this is, let me explain...

The BPhil degree is research-focussed and is only open to high-ATAR (99+) students. You do all the units that you would do if you had chosen a BCom/BSc or whatever. The difference is that you do a bunch of other things on top of your normal uni work – including communication training, research work (for a real institution) and a compulsory overseas study program. Also, you must complete an Honours year to graduate with the "BPhil" title on your transcript.

Here is a link for more detailed info: http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/courses-and-careers/undergraduate/bphil

Some background info about my situation: going to be majoring in maths, hoping to get into the data science/analytics sector. At the moment, I'm not interested in entering academia.

First up, do you think that the BPhil title will be much of an advantage? Would employers/recruiters even know what this degree is? Would it in fact be a disadvantage due to them not knowing what it means, and therefore being "scared off" by the strange degree?

Secondly, would these extra experiences (overseas study, research placements, etc) be valued much by industry employers? I will have to put in a lot more time to complete them, so I don't want it to be a waste (whereas I would otherwise be doing my own side projects and self learning in that time).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions, feel free to post them.

Cheers

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
The ANU one is really really really good, I don't know much about the UWA one but at ANU the admin and professors treat you like royalty.

As far as employment goes, PhB is really meant for eventually going and doing a PhD. However some places (I know google is one) understand what it is and really value it

enoilgam

HSC
First up, do you think that the BPhil title will be much of an advantage? Would employers/recruiters even know what this degree is? Would it in fact be a disadvantage due to them not knowing what it means, and therefore being "scared off" by the strange degree?
I dont really see much of an advantage. Most recruiters wouldn't have a clue what it is - most will think you're a philosophy major. Having BCom/BSc is far better and more recognised. The research work and overseas stuff is decent but I dont know if it's really worth it - you can do similar stuff in a basic degree.

At the end of the day, data science/analytics is a booming area. If I were you, Id be selecting the shortest degree possible and build a decent CV whilst at uni. Keep it simple and get into the workplace asap - financially it sets you up much quicker I think.

HSC
I dont really see much of an advantage. Most recruiters wouldn't have a clue what it is - most will think you're a philosophy major. Having BCom/BSc is far better and more recognised. The research work and overseas stuff is decent but I dont know if it's really worth it - you can do similar stuff in a basic degree.

At the end of the day, data science/analytics is a booming area. If I were you, Id be selecting the shortest degree possible and build a decent CV whilst at uni. Keep it simple and get into the workplace asap - financially it sets you up much quicker I think.
Nail on the head; don't waste your time and energy OP. Education and fancy degrees work up to a point. However, there is in my opinion, a clearly defined line where education ends and experience begins. That's what employers are going to be looking at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)